Windows 10: Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).

Discus and support Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up). in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I created this account, as I have looked for answers for this infuriating issue for days, without being able to solve it. I have an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sarge6000, Oct 1, 2019.

1. sarge6000 Win User

Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).

Hello everyone,

I created this account, as I have looked for answers for this infuriating issue for days, without being able to solve it.

I have an ASUS Zenbook UX303UB, with an integrated graphic card (Intel HD graphics 520) and discrete card (Nvidia geforce 940m). This problem is well documented all over the web but yet no real solution has been found.

The problem is that, when I start a game, the brightness automatically dims to very low levels. I have tried to go through every possible setting but to no avail. I noted that the problem occurs only when I start games. Otherwise the brightness functions totally normally and fine, and doesn't "adjust". I thus suspect that entering the game triggers a "power saving" function that lowers the brightness (it also for some reason turns up my backlit keyboard, weird!).

Here is what I tried:

- Disabling adaptive brightness: There is no option to do so under the "advanced power options", but in the windows 10 display settings, I turned it off ("change brightness automatically when lightning changes). No change.

- Some people say that the problem is the Intel integrated card, which "manages" the monitor. Specifically the "intel power saving technology" which needs to be disabled. I tried the "turn it off through the registry" option as I do not have an "intel power saving technology" option in my Intel control panel. That did nothing either.

- In power options, and in the intel graphics control panel, I turned the power setting to "maximum performance". Changes nothing.

- Updated drivers of Nvidia and Intel card. No change.

I am at a loss. However I found ONE FIX which is problematic. Disabling the "generic PnP monitor" under device Manager fixes the issue! The monitor no longer adjusts brightness when entering a game or at all! However the problem with this fix, which will be obvious to all, is that this disables all brightness controls on the PC! I no longer have a brightness slider in the taskbar, nor do the function shortcuts work. Disabling the Generic PnP Monitor disables everything! Here is where I found the fix: Screen brightness dims when starting game | Tom's Hardware Forum

I have a feeling, that the problem is some kind of power saving setting in the computer. And specifically with the Intel Card as apparently in laptops, it "manages" the monitor.

:)

sarge6000, Oct 1, 2019
  2. bjosh27 Win User

Window 10 brightness/dimming cant turn off

i have been looking for a fix for this for a few days and everyone else that ask has been asking for laptop and non for desktop. i want to disable to the auto brightness/dimming on windows 10. it is extremely annoying when i'm playing a game and it comes
    to the dark part the whole screen start to dim which makes it harder to see. i tried going to system and changing it in the power advance setting where i found dimming been removed but instead brightness has been place there. i tried disabling it and it didn't
    stop the auto dimming. does any one have any ideals? i was able to disable it in windows 8 but since i upgrade i cant turn it off.

***Edited subject by the Moderator for clarification***

bjosh27, Oct 1, 2019
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10 now Samsung laptop is dimmed; upgraded all drivers for monitor, display and other devices

The error I get is LCDModeChecker fail intel: CLSIDFromProgID. I have updated all the drivers for the monitor, display and other devices, as well as adjusted auto dim. I have contacted Samsung support, they had me download there most automatic updates,
    but the files were blocked because of windows, and suggested that I contact microsoft support.

Has anyone had this issue with their Samsung laptops? I have a Samsung ativ book 9; was running windows 8.1 without any problems, until a few hours when I upgraded to window10 and got the dimming issue (screen is so dimmed can barely see anything ) and
    the error above.

How do I fix this?

CharlotteB_77, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).

Screen Dim Issue

Hi Donald,

Thank you for updating on the status.

I would like to ask if you are using a desktop or a laptop. The steps provided by Likhitha was for laptop.

If you are using a desktop, follow the steps below.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Display.
    • In the right pane, click on Advanced Display Settings.
    • Click on Color Calibration under Related Settings.
    • Provide password (if any) for the UAC prompt and click on OK.
    • Click on next and follow the on screen prompts to adjust the brightness and contrast.

If the issue still persists, suggest you to change the display settings of the monitor using the option keys provided in the monitor.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).

1. Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up). - Similar Threads - Laptop monitor auto

2. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected: I have 2 monitors identical View Sonic devices Recently when I select a program on one of the monitors, the other monitor goes dim. If I select a program on the second monitor, the unselected monitor first monitor goes dim. The interesting thing is that if I log in as the...
  3. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected: I have 2 monitors identical View Sonic devices Recently when I select a program on one of the monitors, the other monitor goes dim. If I select a program on the second monitor, the unselected monitor first monitor goes dim. The interesting thing is that if I log in as the...
  4. Monitor Dims when second monitor is selected

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Where do I stop auto-dimming of monitor?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Where do I stop auto-dimming of monitor?: Where do I stop auto-dimming of monitor? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-do-i-stop-auto-dimming-of-monitor/6749414a-4a47-438b-9169-1d2087726df1
  6. Auto mute when turn on laptop

Auto mute when turn on laptop: Hi, Usually my laptop is auto muted when turning on. However, yesterday I installed a new SSD drive to my laptop and now the auto mute is not there anymore. Even if I mute the speaker, when I turn the laptop on after it goes in sleep mode/turn off, the sound turn on...
  7. Only auto turn of Screen without dimming

Only auto turn of Screen without dimming: Hello, right now I have windows set up windows in such a way that it turns off the screen after one minute of inactivity. But just before the minute is over, it dims the screen before, and then turns it off. How can I change this so that it ONLY turns off the screen after...
  8. Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop monitor auto-dimming when starting games (can't be turned up).: Hello everyone, I created this account, as I have looked for answers for this infuriating issue for days, without being able to solve it. I have an ASUS Zenbook UX303UB, with an integrated graphic card (Intel HD graphics 520) and discrete card (Nvidia geforce 940m). This...
  9. Monitor Auto Configuration When Turned On

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Auto Configuration When Turned On: I have two monitors. The one that is giving me the issue is the AOC e2050Swd 20-Inch Class Screen LED-Lit Computer Monitor, 1600 x 900 Resolution, 5ms, 20M:1DCR, VGA/DVI, VESA. I have tried updating the graphics card, I've tried updating the chipset drivers, and I've tried...
  10. Monitor Auto Configuration When Turned On

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Auto Configuration When Turned On: I have two monitors. The one that is giving me the issue is the AOC e2050Swd 20-Inch Class Screen LED-Lit Computer Monitor, 1600 x 900 Resolution, 5ms, 20M:1DCR, VGA/DVI, VESA. I have tried updating the graphics card, I've tried updating the chipset drivers, and I've tried...