Windows 10: Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast

Discus and support Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Friend has a Toshiba Satellite that was upgraded from 7 to 10 a few years. He tells me that everything had been great until we switched from Daylight... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by boweasel, Nov 15, 2019.

1. boweasel Win User

Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast

Friend has a Toshiba Satellite that was upgraded from 7 to 10 a few years. He tells me that everything had been great until we switched from Daylight Savings to Eastern Standard Time. ??? I Know - Didn't make sense to me either. Says he had to pull the plug and remove the battery to to get it to shut off and that turning it back on only gave him a black screen.

But now that he's at least got it back to the point where it boots and he can log in he gives it to me to see what I can do about the speed.

I've disabled all the Toshiba bloatware, set it to boot into safe mode with networking, run chkdsk /r twice and sfc scannow. I can't find that there's anything wrong with it. I downloaded AdwCleaner onto a thumb drive (it was still downloading on the problem laptop after 2 hours), but it didn't find anything of substance.

I used a disk and went into Troubleshooting and tried a Reset (with keeping all his personal files). After 2 hours it was still at 0%, so I ended the task. When I went into Restore with the disk, he had only 2 restore points, the newest one being Oct 20th. It's been showing me that it is restoring the computer now for 4.5 hours, and I'm going to bed - it's 2:45AM here..

:)

boweasel, Nov 15, 2019
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 15, 2019
  3. Drannok Win User
    FAST - Laptop to PC

Can FAST (File and Settings Transfer Wizard) be used to migrate files from a Laptop to a PC? I have this friend who needs his E-mail, Client database, etc. moved from his Laptop to a PC. Can someone tell me how easy this is to do with FAST and what the steps I should take to perform this procedure? Thanks.

If FAST can't be used can someone recommend a free Transfer Wizard? I guess I could manually do it, but I don't want to mess up and have him blaming me for god know how long.

Drannok, Nov 15, 2019
  4. trog100 Win User

Does fast gpu make up for a slow cpu.. ??

i dont dispute the fact that slow a cpu will hamper a gpu.. that goes without saying..

what i am more interesting in find out for myself is just how much a fast gpu makes up for the slow cpu..

so far i am down to 2 gig.. pretty slow i think.. it certainly does hamper my pair of 980 TI cards no question of that..

but Just Cause 3 was still perfectly playable with the cpu at 2 gig.. 1440 frame rates mostly around 80 with highs around 100 and lows around 50..

which does kind of suggest that if you chuck enough gpu power at any game even a half assed cpu will do a good enough job..

it also kind of suggests (and not everybody knows this) that anybody with an older generation I5 or I 7 cpu aint gonna suffer that much because of this.. without a doubt the gpu is king.. *Smile Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast :)

trog

trog100, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast - Similar Threads - Laptop Moving Slow

2. Laptop suddenly moving so slow that audio is rendered with distortion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop suddenly moving so slow that audio is rendered with distortion: My Dell XPS 13 laptop with Windows 10 suddenly -- in the middle of watching a Youtube video that was loading and playing fine -- slowed to a crawl across all programs. Not a wifi issue because it has trouble opening up the start menu, loading a right click, etc. The audio...
  3. Laptop suddenly moving so slow that audio is rendered with distortion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop suddenly moving so slow that audio is rendered with distortion: My Dell XPS 13 laptop with Windows 10 suddenly -- in the middle of watching a Youtube video that was loading and playing fine -- slowed to a crawl across all programs. Not a wifi issue because it has trouble opening up the start menu, loading a right click, etc. The audio...
  4. Laptop suddenly moving so slow that audio is rendered with distortion

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop Fan Is Moving So FAST

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Fan Is Moving So FAST: I just read pdf using edge and do very basic works in chrome. But for this sometime my laptop become too much hot, and also the fan moves too fast.After 5-10 min, everything become to normal... my room temp 25-30cIs it normal???laptop is just 1 year old, and I have opened...
  6. Slow..then fast....slowwwwwwww...then fast

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow..then fast....slowwwwwwww...then fast: [ATTACH] any idea what causes this submitted by /u/Coolboobs85 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3550v/slowthen_fastslowwwwwwwwthen_fast/
  7. The windows updates are so bad and make my laptop so slow

The windows updates are so bad and make my laptop so slow: Ever since I updated windows ten, my computer got so slow. Even though my computer is 1 year old. So I saw another update and thought that it was fixing this problem and this is not the only problem I have had with the new update, my laptop over heats so fast and my battery...
  8. Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Moving So Slow It Makes a Glacier Appear Fast: Friend has a Toshiba Satellite that was upgraded from 7 to 10 a few years. He tells me that everything had been great until we switched from Daylight Savings to Eastern Standard Time. ??? I Know - Didn't make sense to me either. Says he had to pull the plug and remove the...
  9. What makes my mouse M310 move so slow. scrols nice but the arrow moves very slow?

What makes my mouse M310 move so slow. scrols nice but the arrow moves very slow?: I have a Dell windows 10, using a wireless mouse Logitech M310 scroll works fine but the arrow moves very slow how can I speed up the arrow & hand pointer....
  10. 64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    64 bit tower moves at the speed of a glacier: An ASUS tower running Home Premium. The slowness of this tower is incredible and it begins from the moment it's powered on, so it's not internet related. It seems to run no faster in safe mode with networking. I have done all the following with only minimal improvement....