Windows 10: Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ?

Discus and support Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A laptop that was previously upgraded to v1803 from a USB stick, now claims that "You can not install Windows 10 from a USB" when I run setup from a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joseph PHILIPPA, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ?

A laptop that was previously upgraded to v1803 from a USB stick, now claims that "You can not install Windows 10 from a USB" when I run setup from a v1809 USB. Even after I copy the USB contents to a folder on C:\, it still gives the same message. How to remedy ?

:)

Joseph PHILIPPA, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Nofsdad Win User

No longer recognizes CD/DVD drive

Since receiving the Win 10 Home upgrade my computer no longer recognizes the DVD drive. It doesn't show in Device Manger or in the device list in This PC although it does spin up if you insert media into it. I've tried all the suggested remedies except messing with the registry and nothing works. This is one of several problems I've had with device drivers since the upgrade.

Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    AMD FX-4130 3.80Ghz
    8Gb Installed memory

Nofsdad, Dec 24, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

According to this link: Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS
    Your laptop use F2 to access BIOS and F12 to access Boot Menu.

It will take a while to boot. Sometimes several minutes, Did you wait long enough ?
    HBCD only works with MBR disk type and will not recognize GPT disk.

If still cannot boot from Recovery disk. Use your friend's computer and download Macrium Rescue disk from my G-Drive: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    The iso is: MacRescue.iso, about 258MB.
    NOTE: Use F2 to access BIOS: enable Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot, disable CSM.

1. Connect the USB to the PC. Use Disk Management (Win+R->Disk Management) to find out the disk # of the USB
    2. Open Admin Command Prompt (Win+R->Command Prompt (Admin) and type:
      diskpart
      select disk # =====> where # is the disk number from step 1
      clean
      convert MBR
      create partition primary
      format fs=fat32 quick
      assign letter=R
      active
      exit
      bootsect /nt60 R: ====> This will updates the master boot code for the USB
      exit
    3. Double click MacRescue.iso. This will mount the iso as a virtual DVD drive with a letter assigned, seen in This PC
    4. copy the content of the virtual DVD to R: (Your USB)
    5. Reboot your PC and keep tapping on F12 to access boot menu then select the usb with UEFI prefix to boot into GPT mode
    6. Once booted. From the Macrium screen, click on Fix Windows Boot problems and follow the screen to complete

Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ? [​IMG]
    7. Reboot your PC.

NOTE: If still does not boot then the problem is in the C drive, System file(s) corrupted. You would need to boot from the Windows Installation disk to perform custom upgrade. Use step 2 above to create a bootable Windows Installation. Don't use Rufus.

topgundcp, Dec 24, 2018
  4. Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ?

After Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 on Dell laptop all 3 USB ports no longer function, nor does camera take photo.

Unfortunately the above remedies had no affect at all on the USB port problem and I did not attempt to remedy the camera function yet . I am trying a system restore on the laptop right now and will have to wait and see if it removes the Windows 10 upgrade.
    Thank you very much for your response to my problem I really wish it would have worked .

W. GlenDowns, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ?

1. Laptop no longer upgrades from a USB - how to remedy ? - Similar Threads - Laptop longer upgrades

2. USB ports are no longer working on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports are no longer working on a new laptop: I recently purchased an ASUS laptop with Windows 11 installed. After a week of use, both USB ports are inoperable. They were working fine until today. Flash drives and my mouse driver work fine on my old computer. Can you help me?...
  3. USB ports are no longer working on a new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB ports are no longer working on a new laptop: I recently purchased an ASUS laptop with Windows 11 installed. After a week of use, both USB ports are inoperable. They were working fine until today. Flash drives and my mouse driver work fine on my old computer. Can you help me?...
  4. USB-C Monitor no longer works with laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-C Monitor no longer works with laptop: I've had an issue where my laptop has very recently stopped working with any monitors which are connected via a thunderbolt connection. I've tested the exact same setup with other laptops and the issue isn't replicated, I've also tested my laptop with other monitor and cable...
  5. USB-C Monitor no longer works with laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-C Monitor no longer works with laptop: I've had an issue where my laptop has very recently stopped working with any monitors which are connected via a thunderbolt connection. I've tested the exact same setup with other laptops and the issue isn't replicated, I've also tested my laptop with other monitor and cable...
  6. USB Drives no longer functional on ACER laptop - but USB devices work?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drives no longer functional on ACER laptop - but USB devices work?: Hi, Hoping someone has run across this particular issue and has a fix because it's not something any of the standard recommended steps I've taken have remedied. I've tried resetting fast start up, I've gone into USB properties and disabled the sleep feature. I've been through...
  7. Upgrade HP 15-bw049AU laptop from USB - video problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade HP 15-bw049AU laptop from USB - video problem: Really frustrated with this darned laptop. It is on Win 10 home 1909 and owner has not let it update so now has an error msge on update screen, "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes". Net result it won't update from there. It also won't update from the...
  8. printer offline, how to remedy?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer offline, how to remedy?: Occasionally I find my printer offline, and not sure why. Plus what is easy way to put back "online"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-offline-how-to-remedy/a0d69df6-6294-4fba-8701-e3991c58f149
  9. Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB: Hello everyone, My Acer Aspire V3 is refusing to boot to W10 after I forced shutdown when it froze whilst running some large video conversions. I have tried the following: Normal reboot results in the Preparing Automatic Repair on the Acer loading for a few seconds...
  10. How much longer for the free upgraded?

in Windows 10 Support
    How much longer for the free upgraded?: How much longer is the free update available? I would be upgrading from Windows 7 Pro BTW. -Thanks! 42925