Windows 10: Laptop not booting from external HDD

Discus and support Laptop not booting from external HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I cloned the contents of my m.2 SSD (including my OS) to an external HDD because I wanted to swap the SSD for a faster one. The problem is that when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DJOzmanMJ, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Laptop not booting from external HDD

I cloned the contents of my m.2 SSD (including my OS) to an external HDD because I wanted to swap the SSD for a faster one.

The problem is that when I boot the laptop just with the external HDD, I get error code 0xc000025.

Anyone who came across this issue? Would appreciate the help!

submitted by /u/DJOzmanMJ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DJOzmanMJ, Dec 27, 2020

2. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Dec 27, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Laptop not booting from external HDD

Boot from external USB HDD

how do i know if my Laptop is able to boot from external USB HDD?

Tyler Tomko, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Laptop not booting from external HDD

1. Laptop not booting from external HDD - Similar Threads - Laptop booting external

2. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC: Here is a scenario i am facing right now. I had hdd in my laptop with windows 10 with 4 partitions along with system reserved. I repalced hdd with ssd and got an enclosure for the hdd. I got another laptop that had win 10 running in it but its hdd got corrupted and i threw it...
  3. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC: Here is a scenario i am facing right now. I had hdd in my laptop with windows 10 with 4 partitions along with system reserved. I repalced hdd with ssd and got an enclosure for the hdd. I got another laptop that had win 10 running in it but its hdd got corrupted and i threw it...
  4. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.: My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's loading all the services and programs. This is only on a cold boot also. There is no external programm on the HDD just files...
  6. error while attempting to boot from external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error while attempting to boot from external HDD: Hello I've cloned my drive to a HDD and get the stopcode INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE_ when I try to boot from the external hdd. I've disconnected all other devices, updated bios, and changed boot priority to try and fix the problem. Both drives are GPT. I've seen some people...
  7. external HDD will not boot

external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  8. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  9. External HDD don't boot anymore

External HDD don't boot anymore: I have an external harddrive with 2 partitions: one for mass storage and backup (4 tb) one for booting windows installations, macrium reflect and other media that needs to run from boot (8 gb) The bootable partition I reused for various tasks, everytime I needed to use...
  10. boot multiple OS from external HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    boot multiple OS from external HDD: Hi, first, i really do not know where should i place this post so it´s here. ok, i bought new external USB hard drive, and created 4 partitions. 1. windows 7 to go 2. windows 10 to go 3. multiboot linux tools created with YUMI. 4. normal data for movies etc......