Windows 10: Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

Discus and support Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/derFeef, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

My Surface Book doesn't boot 100% through when I have a HDD plugged in via USB. It's "waiting" past the login screen. Only when I unplug the HDD it's loading all the services and programs. This is only on a cold boot also.

There is no external programm on the HDD just files I need. Haven't found anything in the events, nor are there any weird programs in the autostart.

submitted by /u/derFeef
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/derFeef, Feb 23, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Boot from external USB HDD

Hello!

Any laptop should be able to Be booted from an external HDD.

You can check this back accessing your BIOS and then checking if the BIOS gives you an option to boot from USB.

If that option is listed, then you're good to go!

Zackary Vanosdol, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Difeas Win User

Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

Hi all!

A few days ago i was gaming on my laptop like any day and i installed a program. It told me to restart and so i did. To my horror the PC did not boot, the hdd led was black and the screen was black. I tried plugging in to an external monitor and it booted
    just fine. So the next day i tried booting it again without plugging it in to an external monitor. Didn't work.

The only way is to have it plugged into a screen to boot it. I've tried reverting my nvidia drivers several versions and uninstalled the program.

What do i do?

Difeas, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in.

1. Laptop not booting fully when external HDD plugged in. - Similar Threads - Laptop booting fully

2. Laptop not booting when keyboard is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop not booting when keyboard is plugged in.: I recently bought a new keyboard Red Gear MT01, my laptop Dell G15 55252 does not boot when this keyboard is plugged in any of the two USB portsboots if plugged in a third specific USB port in the laptop. Laptop boots if I unplug the keyboard if it's stuck.Always get stuck on...
  3. Laptop not booting when keyboard is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop not booting when keyboard is plugged in.: I recently bought a new keyboard Red Gear MT01, my laptop Dell G15 55252 does not boot when this keyboard is plugged in any of the two USB portsboots if plugged in a third specific USB port in the laptop. Laptop boots if I unplug the keyboard if it's stuck.Always get stuck on...
  4. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  5. BSOD when plugged my external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when plugged my external HDD: HelloI have an issues with my External HDD. I have 2 HDD. Since last night one of my HDD is making my laptop Acer Swift 3 Infinity 4 goes BSOD when plugged in.It will slow down the PC once it plugged. After the system can open the HDD it goes straight away to BSOD with error...
  6. Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot laptop without external monitor plugged in: Hello everybody I have such a problem that when I turn on my laptop without the second monitor plugged in it doesn´t turn on like it turns on but does not load anything just a black screen. But when I plug the second monitor I leave it a little time so then it works like...
  7. Laptop not booting from external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not booting from external HDD: I cloned the contents of my m.2 SSD (including my OS) to an external HDD because I wanted to swap the SSD for a faster one. The problem is that when I boot the laptop just with the external HDD, I get error code 0xc000025. Anyone who came across this issue? Would appreciate...
  8. external HDD will not boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external HDD will not boot: I have 3- Seagate 8TB external HDD. I was the Windows disk cleaning to recover space. deleting temp files, unused files, etc. I have used this tool before and it is pretty straight forward. the disk cleaning finished I turned the computer off as I normally do. the next day...
  9. won't boot with external hdd plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    won't boot with external hdd plugged in: My Dell insiron desktop will not boot when I have my usb external hdd plugged in. When I was on Win7, this wasn't a problem because I would unplug it when restarting after doing Windows updates. Now that Win10 pro 64 automatically updates and restarts my computer on its own,...
  10. When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    When my external HDD is plugged in, my computer refuses to boot.: Okay, so my External HDD is broken. Badly. I'm just gonna list the things I've noticed and the things I've done to try and fix it, so that hopefully you can give me guidance on more things to try. If the drive is plugged in when the computer boots, the computer hangs on the...