Windows 10: Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset

Discus and support Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, Recently, I found that my router wasn't connecting with my laptop or other devices. This sometimes happens overnight, and a quick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RostovNexus, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset

Hello everyone,

Recently, I found that my router wasn't connecting with my laptop or other devices. This sometimes happens overnight, and a quick unplug generally fixes the issue. That, and various other fixes I am used to using, did not work this time. I ended up resetting the router completely and going back in to set it up again. This mostly worked, but my laptop can no longer connect to the Wi-Fi network that I set up again. I will try to go into some detail to see if there could be any solution to this.

After recreating the SSID and related network stuff, the laptop would not connect as it used to. It would say "can't connect to this network" after entering the appropriate security key.
    The troubleshooter was not very helpful, but I tried a few things to get it working again.

1. I released and renewed the IP address.

2. I reset the TCP/IP stack,
    3. I ensured the Wired and WLAN autoconfigs were running.
    4. I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless network adapter via Device Manager

The laptop can connect to open/free Wi-Fi networks without issue.

My phone and other devices can also connect to my network the one I'm trying to get the laptop to connect to without issue. It's just the laptop that cannot.

The troubleshooter sometimes gives me different error messages. Usually "There is a problem with the wireless adapter or access point" but it can also say

"The secureline adapter is disabled" or
    "SecureLine doesn't have a valid IP configuration". It's sort of a toss-up which one I will get, and the troubleshooter cannot resolve these issues on its own, so I need to do something, but I don't know what else to do. I was hoping completely removing and reinstalling the network adapter would solve the issue, but no. I did eventually uninstall the network adapter for SecureLine and the program itself, just in case that really was causing an issue, but it did not solve the problem.

To sum up, the laptop will not connect to my wireless network but will connect to other open networks.

Other devices around the place can connect to my wireless network without issue.

My ISP couldn't offer much in the way of assistance. I am thinking I may need a new router, but since it does work with other devices, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I am not sure what to do to fix this given that the router works with other devices on this network, and the laptop will connect to other networks but not the one I want it to. Although I am not intimately familiar with all of the settings in my router's setup, nothing looks particularly out of place.

Some of the specific error codes I get from the troubleshooter include an Instance Status Flag of 0x180200a and a Device Manager Status Code of 0. I am not sure if these are of any help to someone more knowledgeable. I can provide additional information if necessary.

Thanks for your time, everyone.

I'm not sure why some of this text has a background color, sorry about that.

:)

RostovNexus, Jul 14, 2020
  2. allant51 Win User

wi fi connection

After windows 1903 update I don't have any wi fi connection or icon showing and have tried many suggestions on how to get it, but none have worked.

Can you provide a step by step instruction on how to get wi fi icon and network.

allant51, Jul 14, 2020
  3. johnny234 Win User
    Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset

Windows 10 laptop is connected to the Wi-Fi, but don't give me the opportunity to enter a password.

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the below steps to delete the connected Wi-Fi device and try adding it again.

• Type View Network Connections in the search bar and click on the same.

• If your Wi-Fi device is listed, right-click on the device and click on
      Delete.

• Now, try connecting to the Wi-Fi and check if it prompts for the password.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset

1. Laptop not connecting to Wi-Fi after reset - Similar Threads - Laptop connecting reset

2. Wi-Fi not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not connecting: WiFi isn't connecting. I thought it was the WiFi router problem, but I tried connecting to another Wi-Fi network. That’s when I understood that the issue was the laptop. I tried everything like resetting the network settings, disabling the network device in device manager and...
  3. Wi-Fi connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi connections: My pc isn’t connecting to the internet and no Wi-Fi connections are showing up I have checked and it’s not a pc problem it’s a windows problem can someone help me please it’s been like this for weeks...
  4. Wi-Fi connections

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi connections: My pc isn’t connecting to the internet and no Wi-Fi connections are showing up I have checked and it’s not a pc problem it’s a windows problem can someone help me please it’s been like this for weeks...
  5. Laptop not connecting/detecting Wi-Fi.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop not connecting/detecting Wi-Fi.: My laptop was connected to my Wi-Fi. I'll call it X. I was watching YouTube when my Wi-Fi suddenly disconnected. I got the globe that says it's disconnected. So I tried to connect back to it, and it said it couldn't connect. Strangely enough, my phone was connected to Wi-Fi...
  6. Wi Fi connections

Wi Fi connections: Hi there I have several computers of various ages all running windows 10 my newest computers seem to stay connected without issue my older comps microsoft surface core I7 8gig ram and my toshiba core I5 8gig ram both have lost connections from time to time and the...
  7. wi-fi connection

wi-fi connection: My wife's computer is running Windows 10 same as this one but it doesn't have the capability to connect with wi fi. is there an app that I can purchase and download to a thumb drive so that I can transfer to the other computer....
  8. Wi Fi connections

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi Fi connections: My laptop connection to the WIFI hub disconnects when I connect an HP 1200 printer and vice versa. I can only use one or the other at one time. It was working fine until today and not sure what might have changed....
  9. Wi-Fi Connectivity

Wi-Fi Connectivity: After Windows 10 upgrade on my HP P7-1420t I lost my ability to connect to Wi-Fi. Network Adapters listed in Device Manager: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Wan Miniports - IKEv2, IP, IPv6, L2TP, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP and Network Monitor. Any help in regaining my Wi-Fi...
  10. Wi-Fi Not connected

Wi-Fi Not connected: Hi, Network and sharing center shows wi-fi not connected. There are two computers on the local network that are connected by wi-fi. A third computer is connected by either net. The connection to the internet is also successful. The instructions to unplug or turn off...