Windows 10: Laptop not going to sleep

Discus and support Laptop not going to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just completed a full/clean re-install Win10 Pro 64Bit 21H1 (Pro vers installed as per the Windows key associated with the laptop) of my elderly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BazzaG, Jul 2, 2021.

1. BazzaG Win User

Laptop not going to sleep

I have just completed a full/clean re-install Win10 Pro 64Bit 21H1 (Pro vers installed as per the Windows key associated with the laptop) of my elderly father in-laws laptop after he was hacked on Tuesday. The hackers tried to steal some money from his bank A/C (blocked by the bank) and when they finished the laptop was in an unbootable state. The laptop is an old Dell Latitude E6220 (nice & slow but works well enough for him). It was previously running Win10 using a local A/C (now using a MS A/C). Win10 appears to be running almost just fine. The main problem I have is that when the laptop is open it refuses to go to sleep after 25 mins of inactivity. MoUsoCoreWorker.exe isn't the cause. It does appear in the powercfg /requests list but I've also run the /requestsoverride cmd for that process. 99.9% of the time powercfg /requests returns an empty list. ATM the only non-windows pgm I've installed is Google Chrome. All of the other laptop sleep functions work ok, ie. if I close the lid the laptop goes to sleep, if I short press the power button the laptop goes to sleep or I can manually put the laptop to sleep. When I short press the power button or lift/open the lid the laptop wakes up. I've gone through all of the power settings, including the advanced settings and they are all set correctly. The power cable is also always connected to the laptop (after all these years the battery is basically dead) so the "On Battery" options are essentially irrelevant. The other problem is that if I set the PC to sleep with the lid open via the power button or manually, moving the mouse or touching any of the keyboard keys does not wake up the laptop. On my desktop doing either of these wakes my PC up. Personally I've never owned a laptop, the only laptops I used were provided by my former employers (I'm retired), however, I don't recall ever having these issues on those laptop (been nearly 6 years though). Here's the powercfg /a output: Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /a The following sleep states are available on this system: Standby (S3) Hibernate Hybrid Sleep Fast Startup The following sleep states are not available on this system: Standby (S1) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Standby (S2) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) The system firmware does not support this standby state. Note the above is identical to what I get on my desktop PC. As I said earlier, I've never owned a laptop & its been years since I last used one, so perhaps this is normal behaviour on old laptop. If its not, then I don't know where as to look. Many Thanks in Advance Barry...

:)

BazzaG, Jul 2, 2021
  2. antzshrek Win User

Windows 10 laptop doesn't go to sleep when wifi is on

Run these steps below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

Method 4: Lastly I suggest you check your chipset and video drivers, try checking for the updates from the manufacturer's website and update all the necessary drivers, i.e the chipset and video drivers

Let me know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

source: Windows 10 computer

antzshrek, Jul 2, 2021
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop going to sleep when i play games

Hi Sammy,

There may be some issues with your settings that lead to this problem when you play games on the laptop. Kindly answer these questions so we can help you with your concern:

• Do you get any errors when you start the device again?
    • Did the issue start after applying changes or installing updates on your laptop?
    • Does the problem happen when the device is plugged in to a power source?

To know how you can check if updates were installed on your device, go to
    this page

Let's review the Power & sleep settings to further identify the problem. Follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Open Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • Go to Power & sleep.
    • See if any of the current settings enable Sleep when using your laptop.

You can also run the Power Troubleshooter to get more details about the issue. Refer to the following steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left panel, click on View all.
    • Choose Power and allow the troubleshooter to run.

Let us know if you find anything.

Regards.

Ruz San, Jul 2, 2021
  4. dougabugg Win User

What is triggering my laptop to go to sleep?

My laptop has this annoying "feature" where randomly after waking up from sleep, it will go to sleep after 1.5 minutes of inactivity. After it starts going to sleep in 1.5 minutes, it keeps doing so after waking up until I close everything and restart it.

I've been dealing with this issue for a year now, and its very annoying to have to wake up my laptop and type in my password after stepping away for literally just 2 minutes. Is there anyway to find out what is triggering my laptop to go to sleep like this?

I have already checked, my power settings are not at fault. I brought my laptop in to Best Buy Geek Squad and they updated drivers and firmware, but the problem persists. I'm out of options, and can't afford a new laptop right now.

My laptop is Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK, running Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134.407

EDIT:

• I did a google search for "scheduled maintenance sleep" but I didn't see anything related to my computer going to sleep from inactivity.
    • Tried: Control Panel > Troubleshooting > View all > Power, and following prompts. Was told my power settings were set to have my computer go to sleep after too long, not the issue (too short, 1.5 minutes) I'm having, already specified my power settings were not the issue.
    • Currently investigating this article...

dougabugg, Jul 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop not going to sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop going sleep

2. Lenovo laptop cannot go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo laptop cannot go to sleep.: My laptop cannot go to sleep. When I tap on the sleep option next to shut down/restart, the PC automatically wakes up. I've tried every solution. Disabling sleep timers, etc. etc.I think the issue is that due to a minor liquid spillage, my built-in keyboard spam-inputs...
  3. Lenovo laptop cannot go to sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo laptop cannot go to sleep.: My laptop cannot go to sleep. When I tap on the sleep option next to shut down/restart, the PC automatically wakes up. I've tried every solution. Disabling sleep timers, etc. etc.I think the issue is that due to a minor liquid spillage, my built-in keyboard spam-inputs...
  4. Laptop wont go to sleep anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop wont go to sleep anymore: I have an Asus ROG Strix G732 17" laptop with an i9 and a 2080 Super running Windows 10. I've noticed that it won't go to sleep anymore. I've gone through every tip that google has tried to give me with no success, so I thought I'd turn here so I could explain what I've tried...
  5. Laptop won't go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop won't go to sleep: Whenever I close the lid or manually tell my laptop to go to sleep the screen turns off but the computer is still running. The only way to turn it off is to hard press the power button and force it to shut down. If I start my pc in safe mode the same problem appears. Here...
  6. HP Laptop Not Going to Sleep

HP Laptop Not Going to Sleep: I replaced a mechanical HDD with an SSD in an HP 15t-n200, and reinstalled windows. When the computer tries to go to sleep the screen turns off, but the status lights remain on. Usually when it goes to sleep they flash, and the only way to get the computer to respond is to...
  7. Laptop randomly going to sleep

Laptop randomly going to sleep: Hi, my laptop has been having a problem where it is randomly going to sleep. Everything else seemed to work fine until recently the hard drive became very slow and glitchy for while, and things started crashing repeatedly etc, but only happened temporarily which led me to...
  8. / on keypad causes laptop to go to sleep

/ on keypad causes laptop to go to sleep: My Dell Latitude with Windows 10 started going to sleep seemingly randomly on me last week. I finally narrowed it down to the backslash / key on my keypad. Did I accidently create a shortcut?! How do I turn this off!?!?...
  9. Laptop not going into sleep mode at times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop not going into sleep mode at times: I've created a shortcut to put my computer to sleep. This will work a number of times then when I go to wake it up, I find the computer has completely shut down. I noticed the Power Button was giving me the same grief so I switched the Power Button from shutting down to...
  10. Laptop keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop keeps going to sleep: I have an HP 8540 laptop. I have the power settings set to high performance and all the options to go to sleep when plugged in are set to off/no. HOWEVER, it keeps going to sleep even when things like a download is running. There r a few things like my 3D printer program...