Windows 10: Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player

Discus and support Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 that has worked with my external CD/DVD player/burner for two years. Suddenly it is not reading the media on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nickgoodman1, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player

I have a Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 that has worked with my external CD/DVD player/burner for two years. Suddenly it is not reading the media on the disc and saying that they are blank when they are pre-recorded. I have tried this on several discs and one other external CD player but still no luck. The drive says its up to date and working properly but it just won't read the media. What should I do?

:)

nickgoodman1, Sep 10, 2021

2. connecting an external CD and DVD player to a PC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

The things you need to have is: Audio and video cables, Sound- and video-capture drivers compatible with the laptop.

How to Connect a DVD Player to a Laptop

• Download and install DVD player software compatible with Windows laptops.
    • Connect a DVD player to an older laptop by installing a PC memory card with a connection port or a video-capture card with USB. Video cards with a USB cable merely plug into the USB port on a laptop (no special wiring or programming is required).
    • Improve audio and video quality by connecting an older laptop to an external DVD-ROM drive via a USB port on the computer as an alternative to connecting a full-size DVD player. External DVD drives are almost universally plug-and-play, meaning the drive
      only needs to be connected to the laptop to start working automatically.
    Hope the information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Sep 10, 2021
  3. My DVD/ CD player

1. Do you have burning Software installed ???
    2. Does your Computer recognize the DVD Drive in the Device Manager ???
    DVD/CD Re-writers are usually the first thing to break down in computers.

• Computers pick up a lot of dust which could cloud the LENS.
    • The drive part within it may be worn and malfunctioning ( be it gear or belt and main shaft ).
    • The LENS mechanism may be worn out through use and vibration.
    Not worth trying to fix as nowadays they are very cheap to purchase.

• The only other thing to try is : Try another brand such as the well known TDK or Verbatim.
    • " OR " buy another DVD Re-writer to suit your Desktop or Laptop.
    • With Laptops a external DVD Re-writer would be better suited ( such as a LG External ).

Frank N St31n, Sep 10, 2021
  4. Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player

External CD/DVD Drive

Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum, and I have a quick question.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite X200 laptop, it has been dropped and the cd/dvd drive will not read anything, it just sounds like it is loading, and blinks yellow.
    I'm going to get an external cd/dvd drive for now until the laptop is taken in (if warranty isn't over).
    Is there any specific external cd/dvd drives you guys know are compatible with the Satellite X200? Or will I not have a problem with compatibility.

Appreciate it,
    Jeremy.

Desperado1, Sep 10, 2021
Thema:

Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player

1. Laptop not reading CDs/DVDs on external player - Similar Threads - Laptop reading CDs

2. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  3. DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD RW Drive won't read/write blank DVD or CDs but will read already written DVDs/CDs.: My new machine running Windows 10 won't read/write blank DVDs or CDs. I've tried several removable burners and they all produce the same error which states "Windows can't read the disc in drive F:\. Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is...
  4. burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player

burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player: Can I burn CDs or DVDS using Windows DVD Player? On Windows 10 I can't burn CDs or DVDs with provided software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burn-cds-or-dvds-using-windows-dvd-player/16e14a78-467c-420b-aa9c-985b4a1afb34
  5. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  6. dvd player in Dell laptop not recgnizing cds and dvds .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dvd player in Dell laptop not recgnizing cds and dvds .: Sir, My dvd player is not recgnizing cds and dvds .mine is dell inspiron5558 running win 10Home.i did driver updates a month back.after it this happened.please help me. thank you Kanpur, 25.9.20...
  7. Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs

Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs: When I put a blank audio CD in the CD drive, it says it is a DVD. I am trying to burn a playlist from Windows Media Player onto it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reads-blank-audio-cds-as-dvds/47846b8f-25c6-4ecc-87ef-22c64f6fcdb9
  8. playing cds/dvds on an external drive

playing cds/dvds on an external drive: Whether my win10 laptop will play cds on an external drive is somewhat hit-and-miss. I have 2 drives, one old and one new. I have the same problem with both, though the old one is recognised as a drive, whereas it seems the newer one isn't. This is a huge problem, as I use...
  9. Laptop dvd player won’t read dvds

Laptop dvd player won’t read dvds: Dear all, I’ve tried almost everything suggested about this problem but alas, it still doesn’t work. My dvd player stopped working a while ago, but it still can play old games on CD’s. I’ve deleted the drivers and it didn’t help at all. I updated to windows 10 a few weeks...
  10. Media Player not working for CDs or DVDs - and never has.

Media Player not working for CDs or DVDs - and never has.: I have never succeeded in playing either a CD or DVD. When I insert a disc, it whirrs for a bit then is silent. Nothing appears in the navigation pane of media player, and it does not begin playing by itself. I have Windows 10 on a Toshiba....