Windows 10: Laptop not recognising usb

Discus and support Laptop not recognising usb in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Just got a new Asus x540s and I tried to back up my files using a usb but when I clicked on "add drive" the system could not find the stick, if I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gt4grey, Sep 5, 2016.

1. gt4grey Win User

Laptop not recognising usb

Just got a new Asus x540s and I tried to back up my files using a usb but when I clicked on "add drive" the system could not find the stick, if I go into the drives I can see my stick from there ! any ideas ?*Confused

:)

gt4grey, Sep 5, 2016

2. USB cable USB not recognised to charge samsung galaxy S5 on laptop

Samsung Galaxy S5 connected by USB to Toshiba laptop updated to Windows 10 will not recognise USB connection. Mouse USB and other recognised. Please help.

judisammut, Sep 5, 2016
  3. Laptop not recognising USB ports. Windows 10. Lenovo G710 laptop

Hi Angela,

An outdated USB driver/s is one of the possible causes it does not recognize properly. Can you tell us the current build of your computer? To do this, press Windows key + R and then type winver.

Meanwhile, kindly follow these steps:

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. Go to Settings> Update & Security> Troubleshoot> Hardware and Devices> Run the troubleshooter> Restart your computer.

Method 2: Run for Windows Update. Go to Settings> Update & Security> Windows Update> Check for updates.

Method 3: Update the driver in the Device Manager. You may refer to this
    link

Method 4: Update BIOS and Chipset driver. Please contact your device manufacturer for the instructions.

Note: The automated troubleshooter will try to identify and then resolve the issues that it finds.

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Raymond Ave, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Laptop not recognising usb

I'm not sure you can use a thumbdrive for ALL forms of backup. You can certainly use one for a Recovery Drive or for copying files/folders.

Please elaborate what backup you are using and the size of the thumbdrive
    File History
    Windows Backup
    3rd Party (Macrium, etc)
    System Image

Slartybart, Sep 5, 2016
  5. gt4grey Win User
    I wanted to back up things like photos and documents, but I never got that far, I went to start-settings-security and back up then plugged the memory stick in and selected "add drive" after that nothing happened the program could not find the usb stick, I went to my drives and the memory stick was showing so I'm not sure what the problem is.

gt4grey, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Ok, that's what I thought - you're trying to use File History

File History Drive - Select in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    You can select to save backups to an internal hard drive, externally connected drive (ex: USB drive), or you can save to a drive on a network.
    Notice that thumbdrive is not an option for a store device.

You might want to try Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    I don't know if that will present the same issue (can't detect the thumbdrive)

I simply periodically make a manual copy of my personal files and make a system image of the system using Macrium Reflect free edition.

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2016
  7. gt4grey Win User
    So would a portable hard drive be accepted to store back ups?

gt4grey, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop not recognising usb

1. Laptop not recognising usb - Similar Threads - Laptop recognising usb

2. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognised: I hope someone can help me please. I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I backup data with EaseUS Home to a WD Ultra Passport. When I plug in Passport to backup USB "F" the backup disc is there but drive "F" has a question mark against it. I have checked the USB function...
  3. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not recognised: I hope someone can help me please. I have a laptop with Windows 10 Home. I backup data with EaseUS Home to a WD Ultra Passport. When I plug in Passport to backup USB "F" the backup disc is there but drive "F" has a question mark against it. I have checked the USB function...
  4. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB not recognised: I have a Cruzer Blade 32Gb memory stick. It is recognised and works on a Windows 10 computer but not a Windows 11 one.I have tried all the usual fixes, but it still does not appear on explorer. Fixes tried: Different port, Selective Suspend Disabled, Power Management USB Root...
  6. USB not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB not recognised: I have a Cruzer Blade 32Gb memory stick. It is recognised and works on a Windows 10 computer but not a Windows 11 one.I have tried all the usual fixes, but it still does not appear on explorer. Fixes tried: Different port, Selective Suspend Disabled, Power Management USB Root...
  7. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device: My laptop recognises USB drives OK, but it won't recognise an SD flash card inserted via an adaptor into the same USB slot. My PC will recognise both and it's also running Win10. Anyone got any ideas, please? Thanks. My laptop is running 10.0.19041 Build 19041 MY PC is...
  8. usb not recognised

usb not recognised: I have a Samsung s6 phone when I plug it into my pc to transfer files it always says "USB is not recognized" I tried so many thing update drivers, reboot the pc, uninstall it from the device manager but nothing happens. so does anyone have any tips to help me....
  9. USB port not recognising Mouse or Keyboard on LAPTOP It is recognising Xbox one controller...

USB port not recognising Mouse or Keyboard on LAPTOP It is recognising Xbox one controller...: I have already tried. Power settings. BIOS settings. Updating drivers, removing ghost devices ,installing drivers again. Reset the computer with a clean install. Using different mouse/keyboard in the port but still not being recognised. However ,XBOX One controllers...
  10. USB Device Not Recognised

USB Device Not Recognised: Hi, About a month ago, I received a notification on Windows that my "USB device is not recognised" immediately after my mouse stopped responding to my inputs. I tried unplugging and replugging the connector on the only USB device plugged in, my wireless mouse. It worked the...