Windows 10: Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead

Discus and support Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is the third forum I try to ask for help, hopefully third time is a charm. So, suddenly, two days ago my laptop stopped recognizing that a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Sentient0000, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead

This is the third forum I try to ask for help, hopefully third time is a charm.

So, suddenly, two days ago my laptop stopped recognizing that a earphone jack is plugged in and plays all sounds through the speakers instead.

- Windows 10 v1909 build 18363.752 (was on v1903 yesterday, still the same problem)

- The earphones are fine, I tried 2 different ones and also tried them on other devices, they work.

- The audio jack port appears to be clear on the inside

- IMPORTANT DETAIL: When I boot the computer with the earphones plugged, before Windows loads up I can hear some faint whitenoise in the earphones, meaning that the audio is correctly being playing through them, but as soon as Windows starts loading up, the earphones get muted and all audio is played from the laptop speakers instead. I've been told that you can get white noise before the system loads as the drivers are not active and active noise cancelling is not working yet. Either way this should prove that on a hardware level the jack port works.

ADDITIONALLY

I had my Realtek drivers version 6.0.1.7560 from 15/7/2015. I tried to make the system update them automatically and they went up to version 6.0.1.7629 from 6/10/2015. So they were still 5 years old.

So I manually downloaded and installed the latest available drivers from the Realtek website, version R2.82. This updated the drivers to version 6.0.1.8186 from 14/6/2017, still 3 years old. But apparently they were the latest official ones, so okay, I thought.

But! This made my Realtek HD Audio Manager program disappear. It's not in Control Panel anymore, and it's not in the group of programs that pop up in the Windows task bar when you click on the little arrow in the bottom right of the screen. But I discovered that the files for this program still exist on my computer, in C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA. But when I click on any of the four present .exe files, even running them as an admin, nothing happens. They are RAVBg64.exe, RAVCpl64.exe, RtkNGUI64.exe, and RtIUpd64.exe.

Trying to restore the Realtek HD Audio Manager interface, I looked for even newer drivers, and that's when I found your forum and this post here that says that these are the latest, so I downloaded one of those 10.8MB .cab files.

But I can't seem to be able to install this .cab file. I followed this tutorial and tried both option one and option two (the context menu option "Install" and the elevated command prompt), but in both cases I get error 2 inside the command prompt saying that the system cannot find the file specified.

So now I can't even access Realtek HD Audio Manager anymore, and I'm still stressing over not being able to use earphones.

Any help?

:)

Sentient0000, Apr 13, 2020
  2. silkmaze Win User

How to play audio/music through speakers AND bluetooth speakers

I have a pair of Creative T40 speakers plugged into the 3.5mm jack on my laptop. I got hold of a bluetooth speaker and that was recognised straight-away.

I have installed a large monitor (32inch) to the laptop on which I work as well as watch movies and play games. I was wondering if I could setup that audio, be it music, gaming audio or movie audio could be played through BOTH sets of speakers.

The main T40's are on either side of the monitor and I have the bluetooth speaker behind me on a shelf. That would, kind-of, give me surround sound. Or when I have people over I could get better sound if I could just move the bluetooth speaker to a different part of the room.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

silkmaze, Apr 13, 2020
  3. while my laptop is on the docking station it play the audio throught the lap top instead of the speakers

while my laptop is on the docking station it play the audio through the lap top instead of the speakers

tryotoforget, Apr 13, 2020
  4. Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead

Laptop speakers and plugged in headphone audio plays at the same time

Just downloaded the most recent Windows 10 update. But now, even when my headphones are plugged in, I get audio from both the headphone and the internal speakers. Instead of a separate "speaker" and "headphone" sections in the sounds menu, it's listed
    as "Speaker/Headphone." Surely, this is not a feature people wanted. There is no problem when using Bluetooth headphones, just the audio jack.

MidKnight Swami, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead

1. Laptop not recognize audio jack anymore, plays through speaker instead - Similar Threads - Laptop recognize audio

2. Why does audio play through my headphones but not my speakers anymore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does audio play through my headphones but not my speakers anymore?: A few days ago, while playing a game, my PC made a sort of grinding noise over the speakers - not any actual part of the machine grinding together and the PC turned off with no further warning.Upon powering up as normal, there was no audio playing, so I plugged in my...
  3. Why does audio play through my headphones but not my speakers anymore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does audio play through my headphones but not my speakers anymore?: A few days ago, while playing a game, my PC made a sort of grinding noise over the speakers - not any actual part of the machine grinding together and the PC turned off with no further warning.Upon powering up as normal, there was no audio playing, so I plugged in my...
  4. sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device: I've followed many steps online on how to fix the issue and im starting to go into a panic.nothing works as the title says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-will-not-play-through-speakers-or-any-audio/a2c5fbcb-4f07-486d-9ba8-e93708664a12
  5. sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device: I've followed many steps online on how to fix the issue and im starting to go into a panic.nothing works as the title says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-will-not-play-through-speakers-or-any-audio/a2c5fbcb-4f07-486d-9ba8-e93708664a12
  6. Audio playing through speakers and headphones.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio playing through speakers and headphones.: My audio is playing through speakers and headphones. I've tried to set headphones to default but the option to do so isn't there. All I have is realtek audio speakers. How do I get it to automatically disable speakers when headphones are plugged in? 172751
  7. zoom isnt playing audio through built in speakers anymore

zoom isnt playing audio through built in speakers anymore: im not sure if this is a bug in zoom or if its the laptop itself but i cant get any audio from zoom anymore. the audio works just fine, because when i open other apps e.g. music or games they play audio just fine. ive tried selecting the speakers manually RealtekR audio but...
  8. Rear audio jack doesn't detect speakers, but will play sound through them if something is...

Rear audio jack doesn't detect speakers, but will play sound through them if something is...: Until today, I've been using a pair of active speakers with my PC. They've been plugged into the rear audio jack, and there's been no issue. Today, I set-up my new pair of passive speakers i.e. the speakers are now connected through an external amp, and plugged them into...
  9. Headset not being recognized through audio jack?

Headset not being recognized through audio jack?: I have been very confused about what is going on, so here is all that has been happening. -If I unplug my headset and try to plug it back in through the audio jack, it cannot be recognized by my laptop. When checking audio devices, it says the device being used is my...
  10. Audio plays through headphones and speakers

Audio plays through headphones and speakers: So ive tried to update my drivers, ive tried to uninstall/reinstall, ive tried to go to playback devices, ive tried to go to my realtek stuff and none of this is working, it seems different then any of the cases ive seen by looking it up, i have no clue what to do. i went...