Windows 10: laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized

Discus and support laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; brought home a fully functioning external hard drive that had data on it....but when I plug it into my laptop, it does not appear in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BobZeiser, Jun 19, 2020.

1. BobZeiser Win User

laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized

brought home a fully functioning external hard drive that had data on it....but when I plug it into my laptop, it does not appear in Windows Explorer....I checked Disk Management, and it says the disk is working properly, but has no assigned disk letter, and the disk place is unallocated and not initialized.....i know that's not true.....have tried new cable, but no change in result

:)

BobZeiser, Jun 19, 2020
  2. Rita_A37 Win User

not ready, unknown, not initialized, unallocated external hard drive

please I need help on how to format an external hard drive which disk management describes as unknown, not initialized and unallocated. when I try to initialized using both diskpart and disk management, it says disk is not ready.

Rita_A37, Jun 19, 2020
  3. unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize

I wanted to initialize unknown, unallocated,not initialize external hard disk, but when I go to disk manager and try to initialize the message pop up "Virtual disk manager access denied".

Secondly, drive do not have any letter, and I CAN'T to assign letter to drive (in order to go for chkdsk in prompt command). when I right click on unknown & unallocated drive then there is only option left are properties help and offline.

My question is how can I initialize the drive or bring the status online in order to assign drive letter and initialize the disk?

mayurpatel3, Jun 19, 2020
  4. vallero Win User

laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized [​IMG]

laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

1. laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized - Similar Threads - laptop recognizing external

2. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not recognized: i recentley came accross a hard drive i had from and old Acer laptop, i think it had windows 7 or 8 on it, so i bought a SATA to USB 3.0, 2.5 inc case and plugged it in to the mac that i have been using for 3 years now, in finder there it was marked Acer open it up and could...
  3. External Hard Drives Not Recognized

External Hard Drives Not Recognized: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop and in both cases the external hard drives that were attached are no longer recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the driver software and...
  4. Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated

Hard drive became Not Initialized Unallocated: My hard drive of size 1tb was working, but suddenly it was not showing. I opened control panel there it showed the drive. In disk management it was showing my disc was Not Initialized, unallocated, and its size was reduced to 931mb. It should an Initialize Disc tab but when I...
  5. Unable to initialize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to initialize external hard drive: Hi, I was using an external hard drive on my PS4 however it just randomly stopped working after well over a years use. I plugged it into my PC but i could not see it. When i open disk management and do a disk scan i can then see it appear in the disk management section...
  6. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  7. unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize

unknown, Not initialize, unallocated external hard disk want to initialize: I wanted to initialize unknown, unallocated,not initialize external hard disk, but when I go to disk manager and try to initialize the message pop up "Virtual disk manager access denied". Secondly, drive do not have any letter, and I CAN'T to assign letter to drive in...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. Laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive

Laptop doesn't recognize external hard drive: I just purchased a new WD MyBook 8TB external hard drive to replace my Seagate 8TB hard drive because it quit working. I see it in Device Manager. I hear it spinning. I have changed USB ports. I have used Windows update. I have connected my older WD 3TB MyBook external hard...
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...