Windows 10: Laptop not shutting down properly

Discus and support Laptop not shutting down properly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; For like 3 4 years at this point my laptop wont shut down properly, it worked fine when it was on win7 but at some point i upgraded to win8.1 and on 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/divinity995, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Laptop not shutting down properly

For like 3 4 years at this point my laptop wont shut down properly, it worked fine when it was on win7 but at some point i upgraded to win8.1 and on 10 since its release. When i turn it off/hibernate, instead of shutting down properly everything "shuts down" but for some reason i have to hold the power button so it finally turns off. I reinstalled windows numerous times, and last time i had to do a clean install because i installed an ssd i noticed that on fresh install it worked fine and when i started installing all my apps at some point it started doing that thing again. So i assume its caused by some external application hogging hardware.

notable apps i installed are:

steam

epic game launcher

battle.net/blizzard launcher

adobe illustrator, photoshop, indesign, premiere pro, media encoder

chrome

wallpaper engine

discord

steelseries engine 3

daemon tools lite

utorrent

chrome

and some random games.

if anyone experienced this and found a fix id be grateful. I read people fixing it by disabling hibernation and fastboot and that didnt help for me.

this also happened on 2 of my desktops at some points in their life, my gfs desktop and laptop, my dads laptop

submitted by /u/divinity995
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/divinity995, Jan 31, 2020

2. win 10 will not shut down properly

Hi Richard,

Usually, this issue occur due to outdated or corrupted device drivers, services or processes which are not shutting down properly, or third-party programs that prevents your computer to shut down properly. For better assistance, we'll be needing additional
    information:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Is this an error message Explorer\windows\settingsync\BackgroundUploadTask? If yes, where are you getting this message?
    • If possible, can you send us a screenshot?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the Power troubleshooter as an initial troubleshooting step. To run the Power troubleshooter, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Settings.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Power
      and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to an outlet all of the time. I tried to find what was causing this and it turns out, my laptop does not shut down properly. After shutting down via the OS, my laptop's screen would turn black but I could still feel heat being blown out of the exhaust. I searched the web for solutions and already did what was suggested: disabling Fast Startup in Power Options in the Control Panel. I have also reset the BIOS to its default settings. The problem still persists. Please help!

djdelarosa25, Jan 31, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Laptop not shutting down properly

Laptop doesn't shut down properly

Try using alt+f4, shutdown.

cereberus, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Laptop not shutting down properly

1. Laptop not shutting down properly - Similar Threads - Laptop shutting down

2. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows was not properly shut down: Hello I'm Amirali.When Windows shuts down, the power goes out and the system shuts down suddenly. The next time the system turns on for a longer time but no error or warning is displayed. This causes all services and file systems to shut down suddenly; I have no problem with...
  3. Windows not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not shutting down properly: *Long Post ahead... Sorry*Hi, I moved to Windows 11 beta as soon as it was released and had been using it till the stable version was released. I did not have any major problems till December and in January, my Lenovo ThinkPad T14 started BSOD-ing with the error code...
  4. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  5. Proper Shut Down?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Proper Shut Down?: Hello, I have recently reinstalled my windows 10 pro(not sure if that's important info) after several years. The way I had my win 10 set up previously before this, was that when I go to turn the PC off, it clears everything. closes all apps and when I start it, I know I...
  6. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  7. Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Unable to Shut Down Properly: Hi all! I have a HP Pavilion 15 laptop that I bought in January this year. I had no problems with this laptop at all until I updated to Windows 10 and still don't for the most part. When I attempt to shut down, hibernate or sleep my machine it goes to a black screen with...
  8. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...
  9. My laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop doesn't shut down properly: Hello, so i have a Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (P57g001), i bought it back in April and in the last few weeks it started to freeze whenever i try to shut it down or put it to sleep or hibernate. It is clear that the OS (win 10) is closing all the programs but when it turns the...
  10. Laptop doesn't shut down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop doesn't shut down properly: Over the past week, I realized whenever I would turn my laptop on, it would state that it was charging, which was weird since it stayed plugged in to an outlet all of the time. I tried to find what was causing this and it turns out, my laptop does not shut down properly....