Windows 10: Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right

Discus and support Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I got a new laptop on summer which run perfectly well on W81. until recently, when I decided to make a clean install of W10 and some problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kmint, Mar 7, 2016.

1. kmint Win User

Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right

Hello,

I got a new laptop on summer which run perfectly well on W81. until recently, when I decided to make a clean install of W10 and some problems started. Thanks to great people in this forum I solved them (Solved Stuck in UEFI after reset to default. - Windows 10 Forums), but one has persisted. Or, better said, has returned after being solved. It was fixed for one day and today it's back for some reason.

When I switch off the laptop to close and go to bed, it doesn't turn off completely, two leds remain on, one with a bulb and the one for the wifi. When I press the start button of the laptop, it doesn't work. I need to press long, three seconds or so, then the leds will go off, and then I can press the start button again and it will start this time.

I have my UEFI settings in default mode, I didn't change anything, not even password now.

Any idea?

Thanks

:)

kmint, Mar 7, 2016
  2. shmishra Win User

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I completely reset my PC but problem not solved .Now recently I got sysyem_service_exception and it tell to restart but it switched off and when I start power light blings Cd writer starts but hard disk light bling for some seconds and switched off and
    laptop does not turn on .Is there any hardware problem ??

shmishra, Mar 7, 2016
  3. HifiTollo Win User
    After Windows 10 update the Shutdown does nor work (ASUS X53T laptop)

After Windows 10 update the Shutdown does nor work (ASUS X53T laptop).

When I try to do Shutdown, it never completes. At last I switch the power off to close the laptop. When I switch the power on again, the laptop starts as from sleep state.

I have changed off the "fast startup" in power management, which may hibernate kernel-process.

Startup is also slow.

HifiTollo, Mar 7, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

OldMike65, Mar 7, 2016
  5. kmint Win User
    Thank you Mike, I'm trying it, but still I want to have fast boot enabled and working. I wonder what is wrong...

kmint, Mar 7, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Fast Boot does give some people problems, maybe down the road MS will fix this issue. I have had it off for last 6 months. And I have not had any problems since turning it off. You SHOULD Leave it off....

OldMike65, Mar 7, 2016
  7. kmint Win User
    But my fast boot works fine. It is the switch-off which is failing. *Sad

kmint, Mar 7, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Again....TRY turning it OFF Then leave it that way for a few days......see if anything improves!! Ok ??

OldMike65, Mar 7, 2016
  9. Dadicator Win User
    I to have had this problem --- Solution for me was -- Check and reset all of your "POWER OPTIONS" => Preferred Plans => Change plan settings => "Restore default settings for this plan" [restore all plans one by one, by default there are 3 plans]

Then reset what the "Power Button" Does (Turn Off / On) Best setting (Lots of laptops have this default to Sleep)
    Then reset what the "Sleep Button" Does (Sleep Mode) preferred setting
    *** Important **** Then reset what the "Close Lid" Does (Turn Off / On) This adjustment is my preference because Windows 10 Blacks out the screen when shutting down (to Save Battery / Power) *** if you close the lid before complete shut down Windows 10 will put the machine in sleep mode but never fully shut the machine down.

Dadicator, Mar 7, 2016
  10. kmint Win User
    This worked. *Party*Party*Party

But I had to reset the plan in the advanced settings. Later I tried to change the sleep on lid close for do nothing and still works fine. Now it switches off fine even if I close the lid before it ends closing and I have the fast boot. Full features working.

Many thanks to you and Mike, you are great.

kmint, Mar 7, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Glad you found the Fix Kmint!!! Think it was Dadicator that figured it out for you!! Good job guys!! *Thumbs*Thumbs

OldMike65, Mar 8, 2016
  12. kmint Win User
    It stopped working.
    Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right [​IMG]
    I didn't touch anything, just stopped working.

So I've been googling and it seems to be a common problem without a solution. Sometimes something works for some but not for others, and as in my case, the problem returns after being fixed. This is really weird.

Should I write to Microsoft?

kmint, Mar 8, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

You can if you wish, not sure what their response would be. Would not hurt to write thou. Sorry kmint that your problem still exists *Sad

OldMike65, Mar 8, 2016
  14. kmint Win User
    Thank you Mike, do you know if there are Microsoft assistants participating in these forums for giving some official support?

I think to remember from seven and eightforums that there are, but don't know how to contact them.

kmint, Mar 8, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Their are a few with a Microsoft most valuable badge ....whatever that means. *Smile

They Do NOT work for Microsoft thou.

OldMike65, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Laptop not switching off completely and not starting right - Similar Threads - Laptop switching off

2. Is my laptop turned off completely ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my laptop turned off completely ?: I recently stumbled upon this post about the screen time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-screen-on-time-is-24-hours/bb7c5799-8abb-4c2e-9779-ffcc29254beaI usually use my laptop for around 3-4 hours daily and was wondering why it shows the battery...
  3. Is my laptop turned off completely ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my laptop turned off completely ?: I recently stumbled upon this post about the screen time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-screen-on-time-is-24-hours/bb7c5799-8abb-4c2e-9779-ffcc29254beaI usually use my laptop for around 3-4 hours daily and was wondering why it shows the battery...
  4. Why does Maintance not switch off when completed ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Maintance not switch off when completed ?: It starts but does not switch off when completed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-maintance-not-switch-off-when-completed/074f26ff-5fef-4d94-91ac-95e0668854f7
  5. Why does Maintance not switch off when completed ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Maintance not switch off when completed ?: It starts but does not switch off when completed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-maintance-not-switch-off-when-completed/074f26ff-5fef-4d94-91ac-95e0668854f7
  6. Laptop turns off after switching on?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turns off after switching on?: I was working on my laptop (hp win 10) and went away for a moment and when I came back it was off when I turned it on I had a black screen and when I turned it off it turned off when I tried to turn it on it turned off with a clacking sound I tried to turn it on again and got...
  7. Laptop freezes on/switches itself off?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop freezes on/switches itself off?: [ATTACH] Formerly about once a month, today it happened to me 3 times! Sometimes it freezes completely and has to be switched off by pressing the power button for a long time, or it suddenly turns off out of nowhere. What's interesting is that just before switching off,...
  8. Laptop switches off on 50% battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop switches off on 50% battery: My HP laptop running Windows 10 has suddenly started to switch off with approx. 50% battery power left, at the same time the low battery warning stopped coming up. I have done all the checks on advanced battery settings to no effect. I read somewhere a method for resetting...
  9. Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Laptop Lid Switch completely: Hi everyone, I've been having a rather annoying problem with my Lenovo Legion Y530. My laptop randomly started going to sleep while gaming and eventually started happening at completely arbitrary times. When I looked at event viewer I saw the issue was "Error 42 - Reason for...
  10. Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.: Quite often my Dell Inspiron5758 laptop will, when I switch on the power to recharge, turn off. Has anyone any ideas what might be the cause? 123749