Windows 10: Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

Discus and support Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I've had an issue with my laptop where if I plug in headphones (ANY headphones) it will continue to play sound through my laptop's speakers.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CannonEast, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

Recently I've had an issue with my laptop where if I plug in headphones (ANY headphones) it will continue to play sound through my laptop's speakers. If I reinstall my audio driver with my headphones plugged in, however, the sound will play through my headphones until they get unplugged, and the cycle repeats again.

I am on the latest version of Windows 10 on my Dell Inspiron 5000 Gaming laptop, and I've tried it with two versions of the Realtek HD Audio Driver (versions 6.0.1.8023 and 6.0.1.8622) with the same problem for both. I've also shut off my computer completely and rebooted it, with no change.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

:)

CannonEast, Jul 26, 2019
  2. txstoby Win User

Speakers playing when headphones are plugged in

I have an HP laptop with windows 10. When my headphones are plugged in, the speakers are still playing. When I go to sounds, the only device listed is the speakers. How can I silence the speakers when the headphones are plugged in.

txstoby, Jul 26, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

Unable To Connect Boase Headphones To ASUS Laptop.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the model number of the Bose headphone?
    2. How are you trying to connect the headphones to the laptop?
    3. What is the model number of your ASUS laptop?
    4. Are you using a wired or a wireless Bose headphone?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in Connecting To A Computer
    and try connecting your headphones to the laptop.

If you are still facing issues connecting the headphones to the laptop, I suggest you to elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and reply to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in

1. Laptop not switching to headphones when I plug them in - Similar Threads - Laptop switching headphones

2. Sound in headphones becomes weak if I plug them after the laptop has switched on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound in headphones becomes weak if I plug them after the laptop has switched on: I have a new hp laptop, it came with pre-installed Windows 11. If I switch on my laptop with my headphones already plugged IN, the sound will be just fine: deep, with proper bass. If during the work I unplug the headphones and then plug them in again, the sound will be good...
  3. Sound in headphones becomes weak if I plug them after the laptop has switched on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound in headphones becomes weak if I plug them after the laptop has switched on: I have a new hp laptop, it came with pre-installed Windows 11. If I switch on my laptop with my headphones already plugged IN, the sound will be just fine: deep, with proper bass. If during the work I unplug the headphones and then plug them in again, the sound will be good...
  4. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?: I've looked online but nothing's worked. Headphones work upon restarting but if they become unplugged, plugging them back in does nothing and audio just plays through the speakers. They're not detected at all unless I restart....
  5. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?: I've looked online but nothing's worked. Headphones work upon restarting but if they become unplugged, plugging them back in does nothing and audio just plays through the speakers. They're not detected at all unless I restart....
  6. Headphones don't work unless I restart the laptop with them plugged in?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Headphones not switching over when plugged in

Headphones not switching over when plugged in: Hello, I am having problems with my headphones. I'm running windows 10 using boot camp. When I plug in my headphones headphone jack 1 cable they don't automatically switch to play sounds through them. I have to unplug the headphones for my computer to recognize them and...
  8. Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headphones only work when I start my computer with them plugged in, if I unplug them and...: I found a few solutions online, and none of them worked. submitted by /u/vanhalen325 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kqz9eu/headphones_only_work_when_i_start_my_computer/
  9. Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in

Windows doesn't switch headphones when plugged in: Good evening folks! In these days I've been facing a quite annoying problem with Windows; when I plug the headphones Windows doesn't recognize it but if I reboot with the headphones plugged in it works. I've noticed that the Mixer applet groups Speakers and Headphones...
  10. Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unplugging my headphones and plugging them back in causes my computer to switch to it's...: I have a Dell g7 model 7588 and my headphones and jack worked fine until today. Whenever I restart my computer I can use my headphones fine but as soon as I unplug and re-plug them my computer switches to it's speakers even when the headphones are plugged in. In my audio...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is wrong with my laptop every headphone or speaker when plug in do not work

2. asus notebook not switching to headphones