Windows 10: Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear

Discus and support Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Running a Compaq Laptop with W10 and I'm experiencing something new. First the details of the hardware: Winver: 10home. 20H2 19042.1052. Feature Pack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by webclam, Jun 15, 2021.

1. webclam Win User

Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear

Running a Compaq Laptop with W10 and I'm experiencing something new. First the details of the hardware: Winver: 10home. 20H2 19042.1052. Feature Pack 120.2212.2020.0 PC is an AMD E1-2100 APU with radeon HD (1gb), 4gb of DDR3 installed, on a 64bit system. Following "issues" it's had a blank-drive reinstall from an existing disc. The 21H1 build refuses to work on this machine. Initially the install appears flawless, but there is something hinky going on in the background. There is something interfering with the smooth running of the system, it's using up about 2 out of every 10 cycles is the only way I can describe it. Everything works, but there is a noticeable interrupt that takes up 1 second out of every 5. mouse moves 4 inches on screen and stops for a moment, then continues. If there is a process, like the update screen with it's spinny blue dots, that "pauses" every few seconds. Task manager has the CPU running at around 50% pretty much all the time, never less than 35% and sometimes at 75%. it's like there is a hidden process that's chewing up the available runtime. all TM says is "system", there's nothing strange in the neighbourhood, this is a clean system. Tried reformatting the HDD again and re-doing the install, same result. Reinstalled offline, refused internet connection and all was good for about 4 minutes when it burped a random beep and all was stutter-y again. Tried it with and without updates, nothing makes it different so far that Ive tried. Ran in safe mode and all is ok, so it's possibly a system process, but I can't identify it. I have ordered a bigger stick of RAM to give the CPU some help, but it's just plain annoying that it's not behaving. I could understand slow all the time, or BSODs, but can't see what it's doing this. Is it simply that this laptop can't handle Windows10? Surely not? Any help is greatly appreciated

:)

webclam, Jun 15, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Hi, what is the model of the laptop? How old is it?
    Please quote the driver download page URL.

Has it run Win 10 successfully previously?

What was the last version or build of Windows that ran on it successfully?

How does it run in Safe Mode?

Please post a screenshot of the task manager, processes view, at least, say, 4 mins after booting and logging in thus:

Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear [​IMG]

organising any columns of interest high to low by clicking on the appropriate column header.

Then do the same with Process Explorer (free from MS) expanding the process of interest to see more detail.

This appears to be an underpowered machine:
    Was the O/S originally supplied 32 bits or 64?
    Which of these is the installed O/S?

If 64 bits, are there any 64 bit manufacturer-supplied drivers?

dalchina, Jun 15, 2021
  3. webclam Win User

Running a Compaq Laptop with W10 and I'm experiencing something new.
    First the details of the hardware:
    Winver: 10home. 20H2 19042.1052. Feature Pack 120.2212.2020.0
    PC is an AMD E1-2100 APU with radeon HD (1gb), 4gb of DDR3 installed, on a 64bit system.

Following "issues" it's had a blank-drive reinstall from an existing disc. The 21H1 build refuses to work on this machine.

Initially the install appears flawless, but there is something hinky going on in the background.

There is something interfering with the smooth running of the system, it's using up about 2 out of every 10 cycles is the only way I can describe it.
    Everything works, but there is a noticeable interrupt that takes up 1 second out of every 5. mouse moves 4 inches on screen and stops for a moment, then continues. If there is a process, like the update screen with it's spinny blue dots, that "pauses" every few seconds.
    Task manager has the CPU running at around 50% pretty much all the time, never less than 35% and sometimes at 75%. it's like there is a hidden process that's chewing up the available runtime. all TM says is "system", there's nothing strange in the neighbourhood, this is a clean system.
    Tried reformatting the HDD again and re-doing the install, same result.
    Reinstalled offline, refused internet connection and all was good for about 4 minutes when it burped a random beep and all was stutter-y again.
    Tried it with and without updates, nothing makes it different so far that I’ve tried.
    Ran in safe mode and all is ok, so it's possibly a system process, but I can't identify it.
    I have ordered a bigger stick of RAM to give the CPU some help, but it's just plain annoying that it's not behaving. I could understand slow all the time, or BSODs, but can't see what it's doing this.
    Is it simply that this laptop can't handle Windows10? Surely not?

Any help is greatly appreciated

webclam, Jun 15, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

can't perform inplace upgrade

Hi,

It is possible that you're unable to perform an in-place upgrade due to having not enough space for your partition. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot your system reserved partition. It will provide you instructions to increase the available space of your System Reserved Partition.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear - Similar Threads - Laptop performance sporadic

2. unclear billing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unclear billing: Hello, I am getting billed for a "Microsoft Subscription msbill.info" but I have no idea what it is for exactly. Please contact me asap. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unclear-billing/302854ce-540b-4a92-8380-657eccbd5974
  3. unclear billing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unclear billing: Hello, I am getting billed for a "Microsoft Subscription msbill.info" but I have no idea what it is for exactly. Please contact me asap. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unclear-billing/302854ce-540b-4a92-8380-657eccbd5974
  4. Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade: Hello, I own an Asus Laptop which initially had a 1 HDD with a DVD Drive slot. After a year I decided to install an SSD. So I went to a computer repair shop and asked to replace the DVD Drive with a SATA SSD. But I don't know why he did this. He opened the DVD writer; fine....
  5. Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor laptop performance after SSD upgrade: Hello, I own an Asus Laptop which initially had a 1 HDD with a DVD Drive slot. After a year I decided to install an SSD. So I went to a computer repair shop and asked to replace the DVD Drive with a SATA SSD. But I don't know why he did this. He opened the DVD writer; fine....
  6. The restore point could not be created for the following reason:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The restore point could not be created for the following reason:: The restore point could not be created for the following reason:The given shadow copy provider does not support shadow copying the specified volume. 0x8004230EPlease try again.I tried to start the Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup on service.msc and also change the...
  7. Powerpoint crashes on specific file for unclear reason

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Powerpoint crashes on specific file for unclear reason: Hi professionals and community, I am working on a small program designed on PowerPoint. My Powerpoint has some videos (they are actually pre-recorded animations), with little complex animation layers, and VBA codes for updating textbox during the slide show. My Powerpoint...
  8. Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop performance sporadic following upgrade. reason unclear: Running a Compaq Laptop with W10 and I'm experiencing something new. First the details of the hardware: Winver: 10home. 20H2 19042.1052. Feature Pack 120.2212.2020.0 PC is an AMD E1-2100 APU with radeon HD (1gb), 4gb of DDR3 installed, on a 64bit system. Following "issues"...
  9. Slow performance due to unknown reasons.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow performance due to unknown reasons.: So, the issue started after Windows Feature Update 2004. My laptop which is only a month old began to lag and it was unable to open Office apps quickly and slowly the issue spread to not being able to multi task in Word and MS Teams simultaneously, unresponsive apps etc. I...
  10. Slow performance for no reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow performance for no reason: I've had some troubles with my computer lately. It started working very slowly one day for no reason this past week, and I haven't been able to fix it since. In the end I simply tried a clean install of W10, but even then it kept being slow. After that I tried a clean...