Windows 10: Laptop plays sound over HDMI display

Discus and support Laptop plays sound over HDMI display in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have my Nintendo Switch connected to my laptop (Alienware 17) via HDMI. As of today, when I turn on the console, the laptop monitor displays the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Seda_O, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Seda_O Win User

Laptop plays sound over HDMI display

I have my Nintendo Switch connected to my laptop (Alienware 17) via HDMI. As of today, when I turn on the console, the laptop monitor displays the image of the Switch, but the audio from a browser or anything else still plays instead of the sounds from the Switch. There is no sound coming from the Switch at all, but it was transmitting audio & image yesterday just fine. When I plugged the system into a TV, the audio was there. What can I do?

:)

Seda_O, Jun 24, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Hdmi sound not working

Hi Peter,

One possible reason why the HDMI sound does not work is due to the conflicts with the playback settings. For us to help you make the HDMI sound to work, we suggest that you answer the following questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Have you tried to download and install the most updated sound and display driver of your computer?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    as our initial troubleshooting and see if there will be any changes on the HDMI sound.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Jun 24, 2019
  3. StevePYYZ Win User
    no sound plays through internal speakers

I cannot get any sound to play through the internal speakers of my laptop. It did play previously. The speaker in the task bar has a red and white x and the trouble shooter says no speakers headphones plugged in. When I pull up the info on sound it lists
    its location at HDMI port. Suggestions?

StevePYYZ, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Laptop plays sound over HDMI display

Split screen with sound on Laptop and TV through HDMI

HEY WILFREDO, you say this:

We show you an example, keep in mind that depending on your operating system and sound card, the images may vary, but the steps are very similar.

WHERE IS THE EXAMPLE ????????

The HDMI audio there in settings is already enabled by default as I have seen on all PC's I connected to TV's via HDMI.

You must not read the question.

They state that they already have SOUND out of the TV through HDMI or speakers on laptop for the video on TV.

Such as playing a Video on a media player/web page on TV via HDMI, there is sound.

And then playing another video on another media player/web page on the main laptop screen and they have no sound, as they should if I am not mistaken. But possibly not. Kind of like plugging in USB speakers, now your other speakers do not work as you have
    to switch to USB as default speakers.

I get sound from every program no matter how many monitors are connected and what is playing what per display.

But probably this Laptop, you are going to get sound from both at one time on speakers or sound with HDMI on TV and possibly not on laptop. The HDMI sound enabled for TV could disable the sound for laptop speakers.

I am going to bed. I have 3 monitors and 1 TV connected HDMI to my PC. I will double check tomorrow, But I have a PC with Vinyl-VIA HD AUDIO and 5.1 surround sound speakers and not a limited laptop. There are many possibilities depending on your hardware
    of video and audio and then configurations.

OP, is the sound coming out of the TV or the Laptop speakers while playing the video on the TV. Give me that info and i will check tomorrow. Because I know for a fact you can drag a video to the TV and have sound out of the PC speakers connected
    HDMI and another video playing on PC and have sound for that too. But who watches 2 programs with 2 sounds going.

So I have never tried getting sound out of TV speakers via HDMI and sound out of PC speakers for a 2nd video playing the same time on PC.

Seahawks_1965, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

Laptop plays sound over HDMI display

1. Laptop plays sound over HDMI display - Similar Threads - Laptop plays sound

2. Laptop will not play sound

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop will not play sound: Hello, I recently just updated my RealtekR Audio and now my computer will not play any sound whatsoever with headphones or without. I tried troubleshooting this issue, restarting my computer and updating windows but I am having no luck....
  3. Laptop will not play sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop will not play sound: Hello, I recently just updated my RealtekR Audio and now my computer will not play any sound whatsoever with headphones or without. I tried troubleshooting this issue, restarting my computer and updating windows but I am having no luck....
  4. HDMI sound through laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI sound through laptop: How do I set HDMI as default sound? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdmi-sound-through-laptop/eaafec98-6521-4397-9486-6b28a2d09bd8
  5. Playing sound for Oculus through HDMI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playing sound for Oculus through HDMI: Hello all, I am currently messing around with a setup in order to use my VR set in the living room rather than in my office. I've got some wiring from my PC to my living room: 3x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI. The USB wires are directly connected to my Oculus devices (headset and...
  6. No sound over HDMI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No sound over HDMI: Hi. I have a Dell optiplex 7010. [ATTACH] I have a Intel HD 4000 graphic card, with 2 Display Ports. I connected a "DP to HDMI" adapter to one DP, and an HDMI cable to an HDMI port of a Hitachi Smart TV. I installed the newer drivers, and in Device Manager I can see the...
  7. HDMI won't play sound.

HDMI won't play sound.: I had a problem a few months ago when my sound drivers stopped working and it was really difficult to fix. I had to uninstall every sound driver i had and reinstall them but now when i plug an HDMI cable my laptop won't detect the tv as a sound device. and i have a sound...
  8. HDMI won't play sound.

HDMI won't play sound.: I had a problem a few months ago when my sound drivers stopped working and it was really difficult to fix. I had to uninstall every sound driver i had and reinstall them but now when i plug an HDMI cable my laptop won't detect the tv as a sound device. and i have a sound...
  9. Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch: I have two screens, one LCD and one HDMI TV screen. They are setup to as an extended large screen, so I can move my video player from one to the other by the mouse. I would like to set up, so that when I play video one the LCD screen, the sound played from the speaker, and...
  10. Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch

in Windows 10 Support
    Speaker or HDMI sound play auto-switch: I have two screens, one LCD and one HDMI TV screen. They are setup to as an extended large screen, so I can move my video player from one to the other by the mouse. I would like to set up, so that when I play video one the LCD screen, the sound played from the speaker, and...