Windows 10: Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution

Discus and support Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; The 2nd monitor is stuck at 640x480 even though it's 1080p. I've gone into the display settings and the display resolution option for the external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EngagingFears, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution

The 2nd monitor is stuck at 640x480 even though it's 1080p. I've gone into the display settings and the display resolution option for the external monitor is greyed out.

And when I plug the HDMI cable into the monitor, there's a box that pops up on the monitor that says "640x480 HDMI2 DVI". DVI? Even though I am using an HDMI cable? I have tried the first HDMI port on the monitor too and the same thing happens.

I've used this exact monitor and exact same cable with another laptop before and had no issues.

submitted by /u/EngagingFears
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EngagingFears, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Gman_640 Win User

'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

Gman_640, Dec 21, 2020
  3. MovingUp7 Win User
    Windows doesn't have correct resolution for External Monitor

I have an Asus Laptop running windows 10. Just purchased a used HP L2208w monitor. using HDMI to VGA adapter since monitor doesn't have HDMI. I have googled for a couple hours and can't find a solution anywhere.

Laptop monitor, everything is great.

HP monitor is blurry, most likely due to the wrong resolution set by windows, which is 1024 x 768. Monitor recommends 1680 x 1050.
    How do I get windows to let me change the resolution to 1680 x 1050 for the external monitor?

I've Tried:

1. "updating" graphics driver to each of the three drivers on my computer by going into device manager.
    2. I went to HP website and downloaded latest driver for this exact monitor. restarted PC. no change.
    3. Connecting my wife's mac, which recognized and knew it was projecting to external monitor, but the monitor itself turned off, apparently detecting no signal. Couldn't get the mac to actually display on the monitor. Interestingly, in the display settings,
      the mac also didn't find the correct 1680 x 1050 setting and ALSO defaulted to 1024 / 768 (with no option that I could see for the correct resolution).
    4. Various restart and unplug/plug combinations.
    Please help!

MovingUp7, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution

W10 Screen goes black when HDMI monitor plugged in

In an attempt to connect to a Samsung external monitor the laptop screen goes black when HDMI cable is plugged in. I have checked the settings from the notifications-project - panel is set to laptop only. Is is perhaps stuck to monitor only in another
    place?

StephanieCorley, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution

1. Laptop plugged into external monitor over HDMI, monitor stuck at lower resolution - Similar Threads - Laptop plugged external

2. laptop not sending signal to HDMI external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop not sending signal to HDMI external monitor: My monitor made a weird glitch in which I unplugged the HDMI cable from the ASUS laptop and Dell monitor. However, after reconnecting the monitor, it kept saying no signal. I then plugged a different monitor in with a different HDMI cable but it’s still doesn’t want to work....
  3. laptop not sending signal to HDMI external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop not sending signal to HDMI external monitor: My monitor made a weird glitch in which I unplugged the HDMI cable from the ASUS laptop and Dell monitor. However, after reconnecting the monitor, it kept saying no signal. I then plugged a different monitor in with a different HDMI cable but it’s still doesn’t want to work....
  4. Envy Laptop with External Monitor HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Envy Laptop with External Monitor HDMI: I've tried to connect my LG external monitor to my new Envy Laptop. I have the laptop and monitor powered up, the HDMI cable is connected between the monitor and the laptop. The monitor displays "No Signal - Please check your connection -HDMI1 input is connected. Click OK...
  5. Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor

Laptop brightness stuck at 100% when plugging in an external monitor: Laptop: ASUS - ROG Zephyrus G14 Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004 Build 19041.264 Issue: When I connect an external monitor to my laptop using an HDMI cable, the laptop's screen's brightness is automatically set to the maximum. Adjusting the brightness with the...
  6. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port: This has now happened to me many times even after completely re-installing windows 10 from scratch. But this time around it seems permanent. I've also tried uninstalling display drivers and monitors. Under Device Manager, monitors now I only see the Generic PnP monitor. When...
  7. BSOD (after plugging in an HDMI external monitor to a lenovo legion laptop and using it for...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD (after plugging in an HDMI external monitor to a lenovo legion laptop and using it for...: Hello everyone, I have what I believe is a serious issues with my windows laptop here. Often, I get a BSOD (blue screen of death) with an error: VIDEO_DXGKML_FATAL_ERROR, whenever I plug in my external HDMI monitor to my laptop. But I don't get this bsod right away after...
  8. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  9. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?: Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900. How do I change the...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...