Windows 10: Laptop power button and sleep settings

Discus and support Laptop power button and sleep settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 10 Professional. I see in the power settings that I can configure the power button to put the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Annorax, May 7, 2017.

1. Annorax Win User

Laptop power button and sleep settings

Hi all,

I have a Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 10 Professional. I see in the power settings that I can configure the power button to put the laptop to sleep when pressed. I have it configured as such but when I press the power button, nothing happens. If I manually put the laptop to sleep via the start menu, it sleeps fine.

Am I missing something obvious?

:)

Annorax, May 7, 2017
  2. denmarfl Win User

Windows10 Laptop; Display will not come on

Windows10; Build 1709....

Laptop powered on display comes on as it should. If I close Lid, when I lift Lid Display does not come on...I must press Power Button to get display to come on.

I have run Power troubleshooter; found nothing.

I have looked at Advanced Power settings....Power Buttons and Lid"....

* Lid Close Action....SLEEP (battery & Plugged in)

* Power Button Actions....SLEEP (battery and Plugged In)

* Sleep Button Actions...SLEEP (battery & Plugged in)

These setting appear to be correct...compared them with another laptop running Windows10/Build 1709....they are the same and this other Laptop the Display comes on when I lift the Lid.

All assistance will be appreciated.

***Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings***

denmarfl, May 7, 2017
  3. Laptop does not wake from sleep

thanka...resetting the power plan fixed the problem.i had set my computer to do noting when the lid is closed and do nothing when the power button and sleep buttons are pressed.maybe when the computer was in sleep it didnt wake the computer since the power
    button and sleep button are set to do nothing.still the touch pad and internal keyboard could not wake the laptop but atleast now i didn't have to power shut down my computer each time..

thanks a lot Laptop power button and sleep settings :)

kaushik1099, May 7, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

"I can configure the power button to put the laptop to sleep when pressed. I have it configured as such but when I press the power button, nothing happens."

Same on my HP. You just tap and release really quick to put to sleep and button will start blinking when sleeping. Can then shut lid and remains in sleep mode and will wake on lid open.

mrgeek, May 7, 2017
  5. Annorax Win User
    Nothing I do with the power button (except holding it down for a while which shuts down the computer) makes it go to sleep, not even tapping it quickly.

Annorax, May 7, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    The only other thing I would try is to turn off Fast Startup (which disables hibernation). On the same page where you configured power button, hit "Change settings **** " and uncheck Fast Startup at bottom. Here's a screenshot of my config which works perfectly and with Fast Startup and hibernation disabled which is why they don't show in the bottom area with arrow by Sleep & Lock. Good Luck

Laptop power button and sleep settings [​IMG]

mrgeek, May 7, 2017
  7. Annorax Win User
    That is a good suggestion but unfortunately I've already tried that but with no luck. I've asked this question to some other people and some seem to think it's a bug with the Lenovo W510 laptop, which I'm inclined to agree with.

Annorax, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop power button and sleep settings - Similar Threads - Laptop power button

2. Power button settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button settings: If i were to set the power button to do nothing when pressed located in change what closing the lid does settings if i were to shutdown the computer can i still use the power button to turn it on?...
  3. Power button settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button settings: If i were to set the power button to do nothing when pressed located in change what closing the lid does settings if i were to shutdown the computer can i still use the power button to turn it on?...
  4. power and sleep settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power and sleep settings: I have a Surface Pro 7. I have all four power settings set to 15 minutes. My screen still turns of after 1 minute. What am I missing? What else can I change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-and-sleep-settings/62217d41-6bea-4dda-953b-cbc41a78005b
  5. power sleep settings

power sleep settings: What is a recommended time to automatically set the computer to sleep. I don't want it to turn off while I'm using it but it would be reasonable to flicker off after a period of inactivity....
  6. Laptop power button doesn't go into sleep mode

Laptop power button doesn't go into sleep mode: In control panel, everything is set to sleep. The power button, sleep button or when I close the laptop, it is set to "sleep". Everything works fine but the power button. Fn + F4 buttons is set as the "sleep button" and it works every time I do it, also closing the laptop...
  7. power & sleep settings

power & sleep settings: It is absolutely amazing that this question keeps getting asked over and over but never gets resolved. No matter what screen and sleep are set to, computer goes to sleep after one minute of inactivity when I have all four set to NEVER. Responders, no offense, but yes I've...
  8. Sleep and power settings

Sleep and power settings: after last windows up date I have no control over any other settings except for 1 hour for the monitor and 2 hours for the CPU and yes I did save the settings. Please help & thank you ....
  9. Power & Sleep Setting

Power & Sleep Setting: The Power and Sleep settings for both Screen and Sleep do not respond to the settings saved. After a minute or two the screen reverts back to my Lock Screen and I have to sign in again to continue working. This happens with either browsing or accessing a document and...
  10. Power Button Setting

Power Button Setting: I have an Acer Aspire 3 and set the power button to shut down when pressed, on both battery and plugged in status. Changes were saved and it still has those settings - but it doesn't work. Nothing at all happens when I press the power button. This setting has worked on...