Windows 10: Laptop powers off

Discus and support Laptop powers off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows Version 20H2 Problem: Whenever I try to sign out of my user account, restart the computer or shut it down things that require an user sign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by TheocharisYiannitsis, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Laptop powers off

Windows Version 20H2

Problem:

Whenever I try to sign out of my user account, restart the computer or shut it down things that require an user sign out the laptop completely powers off without a blue screen crash or an error code. In the event logger the only things it shows are the "normal" errors that happen when a desktop pc is unplugged from the wall. Even more weird is that when I try to turn it back on, it starts to boot up, shows the splash screen with the loading animation and stays there for about 1-2 minutes, and then it shuts off again. This continues to happen if you try to turn it back on. The only way for it to start back up and be functional is to wait for about half an hour and then try to turn it on. Then it boots up normally like nothing's happened.

Things I have tried:

• Turning off fast boot
    • Turning off fast startup
    • Going into safe mode the problem still persists
    • Creating a new user account during sign out, restart, shutdown the same thing happens
    • Using another operating system Ubuntu. There is no problem when using Ubuntu
    • Run chkdsk
    • Run dism
    • Run sfc
    • Reinstalling Windows with the keep my files option - the problem still persists
    • Cleaning the fan and generally the cooling system
    • Running Samsung Magician to test the disk for problems no problems found

Some background:

This started happening last thursday 19/3/2021. No updates have been installed during that week, no drivers updated, no bios flashed, no hardware changed. I have this laptop for 4 years now and this is the only time I had a problem like this. Using it for school, very light and rare gaming and pretty frequent programming.

Hardware:

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Type 80XS

CPU: AMD A12-9720P Windows info: AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 COMPUTE CORES 4C+8G 2.70 GHz

GPU: ? Radeon R7 / R7 M440 the task manager is as confused as me in the dedicated graphics in this laptop

RAM: 12GB DDR4 1833Mhz The laptop came with 6GB of Ram but I took out one 2GB stick and put in a 8GB one - the upgrade over 1.5 years ago

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860QVO The laptop came with an 256GB SSD - the upgrade happened over 1.5 years ago

Any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance : !

:)

TheocharisYiannitsis, Mar 7, 2021

2. Laptop no longer hibernates on critical power

Hi Mike,

The laptop's battery is possibly wearing out. Since you haven't change any settings, we suggest that you change the critical battery level a bit higher so that your laptop can perform a hibernation on a much higher percentage than the default. Follow the
    steps below:

• Type Power Options on the Start menu search bar.
    • Under Battery, click on Critical battery level.
    • Chang the default percentage to 10% or higher.
    • Click on Apply.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Mar 7, 2021
  3. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Laptop powers off

probldems with power

Hi,

Your concern about your laptop turning off completely when placed on sleep mode may indicate a possible improper power plan configuration. As an initial step to rule out any power settings issues, we suggest that you reset the settings to default. To do
    this, follow the steps below:

• Type cmd in the search box.
    • Right clickCommand Prompt from the list, and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type or copy and paste the command below:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Wait for the command to finish and restart the device if prompted.

Once you're done, check if the issue persists.

Darwin Dim, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

Laptop powers off

1. Laptop powers off - Similar Threads - Laptop powers off

2. Laptop powering on and off by itself?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop powering on and off by itself?: Recently, my laptop has developed a rather irritating issue where it will not power on, power off, or sleep properly. The list of symptoms are as follows:If the laptop is powered off while plugged in, it will not boot properly while still plugged in. It will run the BIOS and...
  3. Laptop powering on and off by itself?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop powering on and off by itself?: Recently, my laptop has developed a rather irritating issue where it will not power on, power off, or sleep properly. The list of symptoms are as follows:If the laptop is powered off while plugged in, it will not boot properly while still plugged in. It will run the BIOS and...
  4. power off

in Windows 10 Customization
    power off: what to do when i want to shut down my computer its asking me to contact system administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off/a71b9a5c-b052-4331-a9ea-a5288db6d53d
  5. powering On & OFF

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    powering On & OFF: my laptop power button is not responsive. how can i power it on by just opening the lid? or pressing some other keyboard button? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/powering-on-off/dc2e0a59-3ff2-4408-af76-af79bd5024f5
  6. Laptop screen powers off if not plugged into power source

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop screen powers off if not plugged into power source: I have a Lenovo ideapad 130-15AST Laptop with Windows 10 it's brand new, well I bought it back in the Summer 2019 and rarely use it. However, I need it really bad now and I am using it as I type this question I'm not using my cell phone. So I used it last month and every time...
  7. Laptop powers off when not plugged in to power source

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop powers off when not plugged in to power source: Recently my HP Notebook will not charge above 0%. It turns on when plugged in to power source but instantly turns off when disconnected from the charger. Any information regarding this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!...
  8. laptop's ac power keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop's ac power keeps turning off: Hi, My laptop's battery is no good so I always use the laptop on ac power. It was working fine last night but today it keeps shutting down after a minute or so. I've just noticed the battery icon will start off showing the power plug next to it but then the plug...
  9. Laptop does not power off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop does not power off: My HP Envy 15 Laptop does not power off when shut down command is given. I am running on Windows 10 Home Edition. Is there a way to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-does-not-power-off/e2296a11-746d-4651-8e88-e937362ffd4b
  10. "Power Off" monitor on a laptop?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Power Off" monitor on a laptop?: I was asked if the "power off monitor" after a designated time option is available on a laptop like it is for a desktop. I don't have a laptop to try so I need assistance on this. Jack 84361