Windows 10: Laptop powers up with dim screen

Discus and support Laptop powers up with dim screen in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Post Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home upgrade on my Acer Laptop, everything went reasonably OK apart from having to resize the Reserved System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by WightWalker, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Laptop powers up with dim screen

Post Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home upgrade on my Acer Laptop, everything went reasonably OK apart from having to resize the Reserved System Partition.

After a couple of days, the brightness of the screen at start up is really dim making it difficult to see or do anything. I initially thought that Windows had crashed & did CTRL/ALT/DEL to restart.

The only thing that I can to is hold down the Fn key & press Screen Brightness key which seems to work.

But, why should it do this after a couple of days.

Not aware of having made any changes to initiate this.

Would really like it to boot up at full brightness.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

:)

WightWalker, Aug 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 dims screen when it doesn't recognize a face

Alienware 15 R3 Laptop

Windows 10 Home

I have adaptive brightness turned off. The power plan is set to never dim the screen and, just in case, I set the screen dimming value to 100% brightness. However, any time that the built-in camera doesn't see a face for approximately 30
    seconds, the screen dims. I see no option to turn this "feature" off under power settings. I updated the drivers for NVIDIA and Intel. No change. I assume this is something built in to Windows Hello, but I'm really not sure.

MattMaitland, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Window 10 brightness/dimming cant turn off

"Here's the command with aliases instead of GUIDs:

POWERCFG /SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEODIM 0"

(reboot is required)

THIS WORKED.... I've been looking for weeks to find a cure for my laptop constantly screen dimming and no fix after i've disabled all screen dimming options/power options/bios options.

THANK YOU!

Steven Eastwood, Aug 4, 2015
  4. cameos Win User

Laptop powers up with dim screen

If you have "automatically adjust screen brightness" turned on, you may want to (temporarily) turn it off and manually adjust your screen brightness. The driver may need update for Windows 10.

cameos, Aug 4, 2015
  5. This morning the Laptop failed to start just reaching the Windows 10 Logo with rotating dots that stopped.

Tried everything to repair, start up options in Safe Mode - even reverting back to Windows 7 but no option other than to restore to a Macrium Image I fortunately made before the upgrade.

WightWalker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop powers up with dim screen

1. Laptop powers up with dim screen - Similar Threads - Laptop powers dim

2. laptop screen keeps dimming

in Windows 10 Customization
    laptop screen keeps dimming: my screen gets darker when i have it display darker collers for like 30 seconds and when i go back to a white page it takes another 30 second to get a bit brighter again but for gaming it is realy annoying so i looked it up and it says that i have to turn my adaptive...
  3. Screen dim during boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen dim during boot up: Hey guys, on my laptop Im set to high performance, disabled power saving in my graphic properties, the issue is this When I boot my laptop Plugged in to charger, first screen is dell and second screen is the windows logo with dots and third screen is the dots and my screen...
  4. laptop screen keeps dimming unexpectedly

laptop screen keeps dimming unexpectedly: My daughter's high end HP laptop with Windows 10 has a screen issue. While she is working graphic design, like with the pen, many times the screen goes very dim unexpectedly while she is working. Her laptop, like mine when you go into the advanced power options does NOT have...
  5. Laptop screen is dim bug.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop screen is dim bug.: I have a HP Omen 17 RTX 2070. Today I opened the laptop and I found the screen to be obviously dim, it is the same brightness as if the power is unplugged, but it isn't. I tried to unplug the replug the power cord and discovered that it had no effect on the brightness,...
  6. Screen Dimming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen Dimming: Hello, Ever since a few days ago, the screen brightness on my Surface Laptop keeps reducing to the minimum. I have turned off automatic adjustment to brightness in the Display section in Settings, and still this keeps happening. The brightness indicator on the top left of...
  7. dimming the screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dimming the screen: I'd like to lower the brightness even further than the display options show. My slider is all the way to the left. It would be great if there was a slider that could lower it all the way to black, as the screen is still far too bright. -Zach...
  8. Laptop screen not working but it powers up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop screen not working but it powers up: I fired up my hubbys laptop to find the screen was completely black. I connected it to my telly and works fine so I took all the bits out of it and stuck it in my laptop but it's doing the same. What are the chances of 2 HP laptops having black screens?!?!?! Has there.been a...
  9. Laptop screen dims on battery

Laptop screen dims on battery: Hello. This appears to be new behavior windows 1809 installed. I have a dell precision M6700. When the background is darkish the backlight light dims, when you open a browser window or something bright the brightness increases. This is not a quick action and as a result is...
  10. Laptop screen dims on battery

Laptop screen dims on battery: Hello. This appears to be new behavior windows 1809 installed. I have a dell precision M6700. When the background is darkish the backlight light dims, when you open a browser window or something bright the brightness increases. This is not a quick action and as a result is...