Windows 10: Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,...

Discus and support Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm running a MSI GP73 laptop with Windows 10. It has the following periodic problem: When waking up from sleep, either from being left for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by HK2020RSA, Jun 11, 2020.

1. HK2020RSA Win User

Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,...

Hi all,

I'm running a MSI GP73 laptop with Windows 10. It has the following periodic problem:

When waking up from sleep, either from being left for a while or by closing the lid, it sometimes wakes up with a black or dead screen. It has definitely woken up but the screen stays black. The only way to get it working again is by a hard reboot, sometimes 3 or 4 reboots are needed. During these reboots, the screen shows the MSI log and then goes black again, suggesting that this is not a hardware related problem.

If you connect an external monitor, the external monitor acts as the primary screen. If you then go into device manager, only the external monitor is listed Generic PnP monitor. It does not pick up the laptop's own screen and there are no unknown devices listed.

I have tried changing all the power and sleep setting.

I have updated the screen's drivers when it is working again.

I have tried to identify a loose connection, but have not found anything. At the moment the laptop acts more as a PC, I do not move it around at all and I still have this problem.

The problem is sporadic, about once or twice a week or sometimes only once a month, so knowing what causes it is difficult. As is knowing when it is fixed...

Any Advice?

Kind regards

HK

:)

HK2020RSA, Jun 11, 2020

2. wont recognize laptop as primary monitor

Hey i plugged in my external monitor to my laptop, now the laptop wont screen isnt being recognized as primary display so the only way i can use the laptop is by plugging it into the external monitor. How can i fix this?

colinpachucki, Jun 11, 2020
  3. OrbitzXT Win User
    How to disable a laptop screen?

Closing it got rid of the laptop's display from being shown in the "Screen Resolution" list, so now it's just the two externals...but it still is saying Unable to Save Display Settings.

OrbitzXT, Jun 11, 2020
  4. n1trox Win User

Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,...

Laptop display does not detect itself

Hi,

I only have 1 computer (the laptop) and 1 external monitor. The laptop cannot detect its own screen.

So when I follow your steps, this is what happens:

• Go to Settings. (Done)
    • Click on System. (Done)
    • Under System, choose Display. (Done)
    • Under Multiple displays, click on Duplicate these displays and apply. (Done)
    • But then I undock my laptop and redock. Re-login, etc.
    • Only the external display turns on. The laptop does not turn on its own display. In order to get the laptop display to wake up, I need to follow steps 1-4 again. The settign "Duplicate these displays" does not seem to be retained.

n1trox, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop primary screen does not turn on after sleep. When plugging in an external display,... - Similar Threads - Laptop primary screen

2. Screen does not display anything when turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen does not display anything when turned on: When I turn on my laptop, nothing shows up on the screen. It seems to flash for a few seconds, but it’s barely noticeable and goes away. Is there anything I can do to fix this? also this is my fault, i had it in my backpack for several weeks, it also does not show damage in...
  3. Screen does not display anything when turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen does not display anything when turned on: When I turn on my laptop, nothing shows up on the screen. It seems to flash for a few seconds, but it’s barely noticeable and goes away. Is there anything I can do to fix this? also this is my fault, i had it in my backpack for several weeks, it also does not show damage in...
  4. Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid: When my computer is plugged in, it does not sleep or lock my screen when I close the lid. I've tried changing my settings to "Sleep" and "Hibernate" under "When I close the lid" setting, but it still continues to be unlocked and running while plugged in. This has been a...
  5. Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Plugged in laptop does not sleep after closing the lid: When my computer is plugged in, it does not sleep or lock my screen when I close the lid. I've tried changing my settings to "Sleep" and "Hibernate" under "When I close the lid" setting, but it still continues to be unlocked and running while plugged in. This has been a...
  6. Laptop Display is not turned ON when Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Display is not turned ON when Waking from Sleep: One more bug in my project to run Win10 on an older HP/CPQ CQ60 model. All working ok now except for a consistent, replicable problem with Display being turned-on when awakening from Sleep mode. The display is just shown in Device Mgr as a PNP Monitor device, which is pretty...
  7. Laptop does not turn on the screen after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop does not turn on the screen after sleep mode: Hi, my name is Andres Morales, and I have a laptop of MSI called GL62M 7REX. Which have an Intel I5 of 7th generation, Nvidia GTX1050 TI,... Two days ago I install a new SDD because the laptop only had an HDD of 1TB, and I decided to buy an chinese SSD of 120 GB. Then I...
  8. Screen does not come back/ Laptop does not go to sleep when display off.

Screen does not come back/ Laptop does not go to sleep when display off.: So I've been facing this issue maybe since over a year. The problem is my laptop hangs whenever I turn off display manually or it turns off via timer in Power & Sleep settings. No matter what key I press, display does not turn back on, and the sleep timer (for example display...
  9. Laptop display after sleep

Laptop display after sleep: Hi 1. I have set my Windows 10 laptop to sleep after 10min and turn off display after 5 min. It works fine no issues. 2. I have schedule a task in Task Scheduler to run Google Chrome at 6:15 AM while laptop in sleep mode. 3. I have enable wake the computer to run this...
  10. config external display as primary

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    config external display as primary: I have a Laptop and a combo with LCD Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, When I'm at my desk, I want to use the combo LCD Monitor as primary, and the Laptop screen as secondary display, but windows only support Laptop screen as primary, LCD as secondary. Is there any config in Win...