Windows 10: Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes

Discus and support Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I installed a new SSD into my Dell Insperon 13-7352, now the computer will randomly go to sleep every when it is being used. I've done some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Falcs, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Falcs Win User

Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes

I installed a new SSD into my Dell Insperon 13-7352, now the computer will

randomly go to sleep every when it is being used.

I've done some searching online and I thin the problem is similar to this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-keeps-sleeping-event-id-42-event-id/c4c204b3-ad26-4e07-8c71-68f39e0eb32b

I am getting the same events in the Event Viewer:

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>187</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>243</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000404</Keywords>
    <TimeCreatedSystemTime="2020-03-31T12:22:44.979094100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1771</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation/>
    <Execution ProcessID="992" ThreadID="3752" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-6ECIST1</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="ApiCallerNameLength">53</Data>
    <Data Name="ApiCallerName">\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemAction">2</Data>
    <Data Name="LightestSystemState">2</Data>
    </EventData>

</Event>

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
    <EventID>42</EventID>
    <Version>3</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>64</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000404</Keywords>
    <TimeCreatedSystemTime="2020-03-31T12:22:47.124014000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1772</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation/>
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="3032" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-6ECIST1</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="TargetState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="EffectiveState">4</Data>
    <Data Name="Reason">4</Data>
    <Data Name="Flags">0</Data>
    <Data Name="TransitionsToOn">3</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Based on the question above and some other searching I have tried the following things:

1. I've uploaded the relvant events from the event log

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqhcCk5vCGrqrq56vc9y0e7kTrn8HQ?e=DXT7qv

2. My System SKU is

06B5

3. I have disabled sleep in the advanced power settings

4. I ran the power troubleshooter and it said the time to sleep was too long, otherwise it found no issues

5. I've updated my BIOS to the lastest version

6. I dowloaded and installed Speedfan, I noticed that the CPU temperature briefly spikes to over 40000000 degrees when the computer goes to sleep.

:)

Falcs, Mar 31, 2020
  2. dougabugg Win User

What is triggering my laptop to go to sleep?

My laptop has this annoying "feature" where randomly after waking up from sleep, it will go to sleep after 1.5 minutes of inactivity. After it starts going to sleep in 1.5 minutes, it keeps doing so after waking up until I close everything and restart it.

I've been dealing with this issue for a year now, and its very annoying to have to wake up my laptop and type in my password after stepping away for literally just 2 minutes. Is there anyway to find out what is triggering my laptop to go to sleep like this?

I have already checked, my power settings are not at fault. I brought my laptop in to Best Buy Geek Squad and they updated drivers and firmware, but the problem persists. I'm out of options, and can't afford a new laptop right now.

My laptop is Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK, running Windows 10 Home Version 1803 OS Build 17134.407

EDIT:

• I did a google search for "scheduled maintenance sleep" but I didn't see anything related to my computer going to sleep from inactivity.
    • Tried: Control Panel > Troubleshooting > View all > Power, and following prompts. Was told my power settings were set to have my computer go to sleep after too long, not the issue (too short, 1.5 minutes) I'm having, already specified my power settings were not the issue.
    • Currently investigating this article...

dougabugg, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Laptop goes to sleep randomly while playing games

Hi,

If your laptop randomly goes to Sleep mode while you're playing, then this may have something to do with the Power options. Try to check if your laptop is set to Sleep mode after a certain minute. Just simply go to Settings, click System, then select Power
    & sleep. You can also check the Additional power settings.

Now, if it's still the same after you changed the Power settings, then we suggest that you contact the device manufacturer.

Let us know how this turns out for you.

Marque Lor, Mar 31, 2020
  4. garyfritz Win User

Laptop randomly hangs while in sleep mode

Good thing I kept the reports. Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes :) Attached below. Don't know why the other thread disappeared -- maybe because it wasn't a real BSOD?

Looks like chkdsk /r /v has to be run at boot time, and many of the next steps (installing drivers, etc) are going to take more time than I have today. I'll get back to it later.

The HP Diagnostics at that link is only a 32-bit app. The only Hardware Diagnostics I see on my laptop is just a log file. Should I run the UEFI tests?

HD Tune: I let it sit on the Health tab for quite a while and nothing happened. I tried hitting Update, I set it to 1-minute update, nothin'. The Log is empty too.

Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes [​IMG]

garyfritz, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop randomly going to sleep every few minutes - Similar Threads - Laptop randomly going

2. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  3. Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse clicking randomly every few minutes: In Windows 10/11, my mouse randomly clicks on its own. When I exist games, very often the mouse left click will not work until I middle click.This happens with multiple games.The games are on Steam.Steps I've tried to resolve the issue:I have purchased a new mouse, and it has...
  4. PC crashes few minutes after going to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashes few minutes after going to sleep: Recently rebuilt my PC with new CPU/mobo/ram/storage and a fresh install of W10. Everything seems fine except after the system sleeps it also shutdown/crashes within a few minutes. event viewer shows:"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e...
  5. Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes: This began to happen fairly recently, probably over the past few days. My audio is cutting out/lagging randomly when listening to Spotify and/or playing games for example. I'm using a DGX Xonar 5.1 soundcard for my toslink hi-fi system, as well as bluetooth headphones and...
  6. Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random USB disconnect sound every few minutes...: Yea so it's occuring every 5 minutes and is getting annoying, (the mouse cursor will disappear briefly for 1 second before the sound kicks in) I checked event viewer and there are many red error messages. Most are related to defrag error of both my SSD and HDD, some...
  7. Pc randomly restarts every few minutes Please help

in Windows 10 Support
    Pc randomly restarts every few minutes Please help: Hi, my pc keeps restarting randomly. Just going black and rebooting at random intervals it also works fine during benchmarks and isn't overheating. I just built this pc so I don't think it's a hardware problem. Im using windows 10 home and let windows automatically install...
  8. Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.

Issue with 1 of 2 monitors randomly going black every few minutes.: Hey there, I was hoping perhaps someone would have an answer to a problem that is driving me nuts. I am on a relatively new Nov 2019 HP Omen machine connected to a pair of identical 4k Asus monitors. also both brand new in Nov What happens is once in a while I start having an...
  9. My Asus Laptop will randomly go to sleep roughly every 10 minutes

My Asus Laptop will randomly go to sleep roughly every 10 minutes: I just recently bought the ROG Scar Edition laptop and haven't had any issues with it until now. The laptop will randomly go to sleep every 10 minutes. I've tried doing setting all the power settings stuff to never and still doesn't do anything. I looked through event viewer...
  10. Laptop randomly going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop randomly going to sleep: Hi, my laptop has been having a problem where it is randomly going to sleep. Everything else seemed to work fine until recently the hard drive became very slow and glitchy for while, and things started crashing repeatedly etc, but only happened temporarily which led me to...