Windows 10: Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

Discus and support Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ravich, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Ravich Win User

Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me use "Reset PC" option that basically performs fresh Windows 10 installation as far as settings go. After performing it I started experiencing problems with sleep that for past 10 months worked flawlessly. Aster using Sleep, computer would either reboot right away or reboot upon having me wake up my PC with all my open programs and whole session gone as if I pressed "reset" button.
    I kept having my probably-malware-related problems and that finally made me replace my hard drive (I had old ones removed and performed fresh installation of Windows 10 using ISO from MS website). I have now PC that should work like brand new, with all the drivers updated (BIOS included) but the problem with sleep mode persists. So far I managed to only install 2 programs (Artlantis and Archicad) that I used before I started experiencing my problems and I think they are not the cause. I turned off windows 10 fast boot option but it didn't help.
    I was advised to boot into Safe Mode and check if the problem persists but I'm unable to fin sleep option in Safe Mode. The only options I get from power button are Shutdown and Restart but in Control Panel under Advanced Power Plan Options displaying both sleep and hibernation is checked so the problem is not there. I am however to change "what the power buttons do" in the very same place and from the dropdown menu (for the physical power button, closing the lid, etc.) I am able to choose all options but sleep (Hibernate is there along with power off screen, shutdown and restart).
    Why is sleep missing from my Safe Mode and why doesn't it work properly in standard mode? I use it very often and it's really frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

/sfc scannow shows all system files are OK (unlike before I replaced my hard drive).

EDIT/UPDATE: ASUS tech support suggested updating chipset driver that I'm sure was up to date anyways and it obviously did not solve the problem.

:)

Ravich, Jun 17, 2016

2. Using laptop as desktop - can't wake it from sleep with wireless mouse or keyboard.

• 4. Test waking from Sleep with the monitor connected to the laptop.
    • 5. Disconnect the monitor from the laptop, reboot, then test waking from Sleep without an external monitor.

No luck with monitor connected. Disconnected the monitor, rebooted, then tested wake-from-sleep with no external monitor - no luck.

eljaycanuck, Jun 17, 2016
  3. DTur Win User
    Update 1511 for Windows 10: laptop won't wake from sleep, will reboot

Right after the update 1511 for Windows 10 a problem appeared: the laptop (Asus UX305CA) does not wake from sleep properly. Instead of waking up, it hangs for about 20 seconds and then reboots. Upon reboot, there're no error messages. It happens every time
    the laptop is unplugged from the mains, for example:

1. If you put it to sleep when it's plugged in and wake later, everything is fine

2. If you put it to sleep when it's plugged in, unplug and wake, it will reboot

3. If you put it to sleep when it's plugged in, unplug, plug back in, it will reboot

4. If you put it to sleep when it's not plugged in and wake later, it will reboot

This was NOT happening any time before that update. I cannot roll back now because I have removed the "previous installation" which was taking 18 GB on my hard drive.

I have update all the drivers to the latest versions from my laptop manufacturer's website, the problem is still there. I have also run the Troubleshooter for power, it didn't help either.

I presume Microsoft has broken ACPI driver somewhere, or something. How to resolve this? Inability to sleep makes a laptop completely immobile.

4. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

This solution worked for me:

go to the support page of your laptop ( mine is asus g750jm), download the latest bios version (It's in the "Other" drop-down list for ASUS), unzip/unrar it, and update it using the WinFlash software (who is preloaded in the laptop).
    and VOILA you can use your sleep fonctionality again

For those who can't upadte because WinFlash says you have already the latest bios version; open your file manager and go to

C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\WinFlash
    Once in the folder of Winflash press "Alt" (Shift) key and right click (somewhere blank on the folder), once the menu shows up choose "open command here" ( or something similar , because my laptop is in french)
    then a black command window should show up; type in that black window type "WinFlash /nodate" and press Enter. Then update your bios
    this should bypass WinFlash and force the update even if you have already the latest bios.

During flashing if you get an error asking you to insert battery or whatever just remove the battery (WHILE PLUGGED IN) and insert it back.

Source: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...rom-sleep-mode

whichseatcanita, Jun 18, 2016
  5. Thanks very much to whichseatcanita... I've been trying for months to find a solution to my laptop rebooting after putting it into sleep mode. None of them work until I came across this recommendation... Thanks again...

BladeMan315, Dec 7, 2016
  6. Np bud! I decided to spam the answer thinking it might help someone. I'm glad it worked *Smile

whichseatcanita, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

1. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop reboots trying

2. System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode: Hi,I've started to notice, that my machine fails to wake up after putting it to a sleep mode. It happens occasionally, but this time it triggered me as I had some things opened in the background that I have to set up again. I'd appreciate someone taking time to analyze my...
  3. System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System rebooting after trying to wake up PC from sleep mode: Hi,I've started to notice, that my machine fails to wake up after putting it to a sleep mode. It happens occasionally, but this time it triggered me as I had some things opened in the background that I have to set up again. I'd appreciate someone taking time to analyze my...
  4. Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode: I have a Lenovo laptop model 81SS, running Windows 11 Enterprise which always reboots losing all open apps, etc. when waking from Sleep mode. The assigned user states that it has always done that, and she has just recently cranked up the Sleep settings to get around it, as it...
  5. Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode: I have a Lenovo laptop model 81SS, running Windows 11 Enterprise which always reboots losing all open apps, etc. when waking from Sleep mode. The assigned user states that it has always done that, and she has just recently cranked up the Sleep settings to get around it, as it...
  6. Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep: Hi! I have a Lenovo 330S 15ARR since last October, Windows 10 v1909. Sleeping and waking from sleep was working fine. Since a couple of months, I have the following problem. I noticed that when I try to wake the pc from sleep, it acts like I rebooted. I did some testings...
  7. Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop reboots instead of waking up from sleep mode: I've seen lots of power/sleep problems discussed on forums, but nothing exactly like the problem I'm having since the latest Windows 10 update. The laptop seems to go to sleep fine. Then when I open the lid or press the power button to wake it up, it makes the unmistakable...
  8. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41): Hey all, first post here, glad to be on such a helping community. ASUS UX303LN user. Before 3 days, my laptop started refusing to wake up from sleep properly, instead it reboots from a clean state, It is as if I am pressing an invisible reset button that starts the...
  9. Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself: Hi Guys, Please help me a little, I think I'm losing my mind. I have an Asus Ultrabook, UX302L. It came with windows 8 from the factory, I upgraded it to windows 10, all nice and wonderful. About a month ago, I replaced my HDD with an Samsung 850 Evo SSD and I installed...
  10. Win10 laptop auto reboots unexpected after wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 laptop auto reboots unexpected after wake up from sleep: Recently, I met one auto reboot issue on my Dell latitude laptop. It's a Win 10 system. Each time, after I put it to sleep state and close the lid, then after I open the lid, Win 10 would auto reboot. I updated the system and some drivers. I guess it's the root cause....