Windows 10: Laptop Refuses to Shut Off

Discus and support Laptop Refuses to Shut Off in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 5 month new Dell XPS 13 laptop, running Windows 10, 64 bit. It has been running perfectly fine until the other day when I noticed the unit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Carbo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Carbo Win User

Laptop Refuses to Shut Off

I have a 5 month new Dell XPS 13 laptop, running Windows 10, 64 bit. It has been running perfectly fine until the other day when I noticed the unit couldn't be turned off as it usually does. I hit the Power Off button, but instead of shutting down it restarts as if I hit Restart. All else with the unit seems fine.
    Any ideas? Thank you.

:)

Carbo, Jun 2, 2016
  2. TonySobhy Win User

Shut down and restart

My windows 10 laptop refuses to shut down and refuses to restart. It only sleeps when I click on sleep button from the start menu and when I fold it. I haven’t tried to push the power button as I know that is not good.

TonySobhy, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Sarassie Win User
    Microsoft 10 on a 6 year old laptop

I own my laptop for 6 years. I used it Sunday. It shut off on its own. Turn it on and does it again. Turn it on and it works. But today. I was on online and shuts off in the middle of a game. Turn it back on. Went back to the game, but shuts off again.
    Now I turns on the laptop and it says we can't sign into your account. It keeps shutting off. I'm afraid more if I was hacked. The shutting off its been going on for a few months, but I was able to use my laptop. What should i do?

Sarassie, Jun 2, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Do you know if you are performing a hybrid shutdown (allows a fast start) or a full shutdown?

Next time you could try holding down shift when you click on Shutdown and see if this makes a difference, it forces a full shutdown.

philc43, Jun 2, 2016
  5. Carbo Win User
    Hi, Phil. I'm doing what I've always done: slide the cursor to the lower left screen and click on Shut Down. But instead of shutting down the laptop responds as if I hit Restart.
    Just tried your suggestion and hit shift but it made no difference. Laptop rebooted.

Carbo, Jun 2, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    It sounds as if your laptop may be crashing at some point during the shutdown and then does an automatic restart. To test this theory go into System Properties (right click on the start button and select System). Go to the Advanced tab and select Startup and Recovery Settings

Laptop Refuses to Shut Off [​IMG]

Check that the Automatic Restart is NOT checked

Laptop Refuses to Shut Off [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 2, 2016
  7. Carbo Win User
    Well, that was easy, Phil. That did the trick. In language even a dummy like I can understand, tell me what just happened.

Carbo, Jun 2, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

Ok so what you now know is that there is something strange happening during the shutdown process which triggers an error. Normally your PC would show a blue screen but because it is shutting down this does not happen. Instead your PC goes into a restart because you had the automatically restart set for whenever you had a system error.

The next thing will be to look in your event logs to find out which error is occurring during shutdown. Note the time that you shutdown and then check for errors occurring at that time in the event log. (Right click on start button to access the Event log.)

philc43, Jun 2, 2016
  9. Carbo Win User
    Here's what I'm seeing in the event log after shutting down and then restarting:
    Event ID: 256; Source: DPTF (listed as a Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework error)
    Event: 7031; Service Control Manager terminated unexpectedly
    Event: 10016; DistributedCOM;

Does any of this make sense to you?

Carbo, Jun 2, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    I think they are all common errors but they happen during startup. What was the error immediately prior to the 10016 error? As the error happens at shutdown it maybe that the actual error does not get logged. If it does I would expect it to show as Critical.

philc43, Jun 2, 2016
  11. Carbo Win User
    Just prior to the 10016 error is the 7031 error. There are no critical errors listed.

Carbo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop Refuses to Shut Off - Similar Threads - Laptop Refuses Shut

2. Laptop shut off and will not turn on or charge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shut off and will not turn on or charge: I was on my laptop when suddenly a heard a loud click, almost like when you manual would turn it off with the power button, and then it completely shut off. I tried turning it back on, I tried waiting a few hours to try again and nothing. I tried to charge it but the light...
  3. Laptop keeps randomly shutting off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps randomly shutting off: Hello, so I have a Acer Predator Helios 300. Starting 30-40 minutes ago the battery stopped charging even though it was plugged in. It would say 83% remaining but the lightning icon was still there. Anyways after that it randomly shut down and I turned it back on. However, a...
  4. Program refusing to shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program refusing to shut down: Good afternoon,Recently Windows 11 has been installed over Windows 10 on my laptop and unfortunately I am left with a problem whereby I cannot get a photo viewer Breezebrowser to shut down. Also, Windows 11 is not responding to rolling back to Windows 10 or shutting down.I...
  5. Program refusing to shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program refusing to shut down: Good afternoon,Recently Windows 11 has been installed over Windows 10 on my laptop and unfortunately I am left with a problem whereby I cannot get a photo viewer Breezebrowser to shut down. Also, Windows 11 is not responding to rolling back to Windows 10 or shutting down.I...
  6. Laptop shuts off

Laptop shuts off: I installed a new cooling fan in my HP laptop. Windows will not identify the new hardware. Since the last update a couple of days ago my laptop shuts off after a few minutes of inactivity. When I restart, I have to be quick to hit the enter button when the 15 second...
  7. Hp laptop wifi shuts off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hp laptop wifi shuts off: Hello. I'm looking at an hp laptop for a friend, and their WiFi 5 keeps shutting off. I can't figure out what's wrong with it, but this thing does have a copy of win 10 that isn't activated. Will this cause the WiFi to dump? submitted by /u/Callamy [link] [comments]...
  8. Laptop automatically shuts off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop automatically shuts off: My laptop shuts off automatically and keyboard doesn't respond after restart. I need an external keyboard via USB to put my pin. Below is the warning in event logger under systems: 1. The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor...
  9. HP laptop shuts off

HP laptop shuts off: I have to keep rebooting it. what can cause this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-laptop-shuts-off/8aefd8ce-a25e-46c0-a20a-9a0b03959bcd
  10. shutting off my laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    shutting off my laptop: I left click on the icon and choose shut down but it won't shut down https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/shutting-off-my-laptop/2b81c875-c80b-4541-a41e-97cc8767d646"