Windows 10: Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port

Discus and support Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, I have 2 identical Laptops that have 1 10/100 Rj45 port and 1 USB 3.0 port. Toshiba c855 Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with no issues and up to date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GutterMedic, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port

Hello all,

I have 2 identical Laptops that have 1 10/100 Rj45 port and 1 USB 3.0 port. Toshiba c855 Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with no issues and up to date

Reason for Question: Recycle old laptop for NAS. I have tried a USB hub to connect external HDDs and a Gb rj45 dongle. Issue bottleneck overheating (USB hub) and file errors, poor transfer rates.

Question: Is there a way to remove DVD drive from Laptop and replace ether with a Gb rj45 port or a 3.0 USB port?

:)

GutterMedic, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Lionheart Win User

Using Dual gigabit Ethernet ports?

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a simple question. What can I use dual gigabit ethernet ports for and are there any benefits using it?*Toast :toast:

Lionheart, Jan 23, 2021
  3. gbjbasdw Win User
    ASIX AX88179 USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not working in USB3.0 port

Following the latest Windows 10 update ( 1803 build 17134.285 ) I notice that my USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is no longer working. It does not switch from WiFi to ethernet in the taskbar when connected.

Oddly this is ONLY happening when I plug it into either of my USB 3.0 ports - it works normally when I plug it into the USB 2.0 port on the laptop.

When I check in device manager there is nothing there under Network Adapters unless it is connected to the USB 2.0 port when I can see it as "ASIX AX88179 USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter".

When I plug it into the USB 3.0 it is as though I have not plugged anything into the port. i.e. no Windows sound plays, no taskbar icon for Eject Device etc.

Anyone know if the latest updates have any mods to the USB controllers or something ?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

gbjbasdw, Jan 23, 2021
  4. aks45 Win User

Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port

Ethernet connection/port on my laptop

Thanks for the suggested solution which I tried. My feedback:

• Update download was completed but installation did not complete and the message popped up that stated that update is not compatible and cannot be installed.

Info sought in your mail is as follows:

• Which build and edition of Windows 10 is installed on your computer?
      • Window 10 Pro
      • Version 1709
      • OS Build 16299.192
    • What is the make and model of your laptop?
      • Dell Alienware
      • 15" Laptop
      • System 64 bit os x64-based processor
    • Are you experiencing the same issue even when you are using another Ethernet cable?
      • yes, tried different cables
      • (also same ethernet cable & connection works on my mac notebook)
    • Have you made any changes to your computer setting before this issue occurred?
      • Can't say with certainty about changes, if any, made. Normally i don't fiddle with the laptop systems.
      • ethernet port was working just fine and suddenly became dsysfunctional about two weeks back.
      • Checked Network adapters in the device manager which highlights Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller with a yellow mark. Also checked network adapter driver which states that installed driver is the latest.

aks45, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port

1. Laptop remove DVD drive add a gigabit ethernet port - Similar Threads - Laptop remove DVD

2. 1 DVD drive port automatically ejects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1 DVD drive port automatically ejects: Problems I face:1 My DVD drive port automatically ejects. Sometimes it occurs while connecting to usb poer. It ejected right now while I am typing. I use external keyboard.2 The LED near charging port is on even after my laptop is switched off.3 My touchpad is a bit erratic,...
  3. Windows 10 Gigabit Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Gigabit Ethernet: Howdy, I got gigabit internet in my apartment. A wifi speed test on my phone showed 400 mbps. The computer was at 90 mbps but when I followed this guide my speed was 900 mbps. Later I magically get downgraded to 90 mbps again. I check the speed and duplex setting and it was...
  4. Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds

Ethernet Adapter support for Gigabit Speeds: Hi there, I am thinking of upgrading to fibre to get gigabit speeds around (950/500ish) And I am wondering how can I confirm that my network card (via ethernet) will actually support gigagbit speeds? I have checked these two settings here, and the network card actually has...
  5. Gigabit Ethernet does not work

Gigabit Ethernet does not work: Hello, So i just installed a Gigabit ethernet line through my house, i instantly noticed that when i do a speedtest i only get arround 90-100 mbps, so i checked device manager and it says "100 mbps" there on the ethernet adapter [ATTACH] However, i can select 1 Gigabit...
  6. USB ports, and dvd drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB ports, and dvd drive: I have a hp 15 laptop. as soon as the warranty expired the dvd player/burner quite working. it says insert disk and when I put an disk it, it does not spin to read it , it just says no disk. The next problem it has is I have a 8 in one card reader that I`ve used many times...
  7. Gigabit Ethernet network card

in Windows 10 Customization
    Gigabit Ethernet network card: How can I configure my 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet network card for maximum speed in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gigabit-ethernet-network-card/70b58a43-e662-4cf9-9a34-d740fa754076
  8. ASIX AX88179 USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not working in USB3.0 port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ASIX AX88179 USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not working in USB3.0 port: Following the latest Windows 10 update ( 1803 build 17134.285 ) I notice that my USB3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter is no longer working. It does not switch from WiFi to ethernet in the taskbar when connected. Oddly this is ONLY happening when I plug it into either of my...
  9. cannot get gigabit ethernet to work

cannot get gigabit ethernet to work: I have a Lenovo Alli n one PC AIO 520, it has a realtek gigabit LAN card, however i have tried to enable it every which way and i cannot get gigabit data transfers, i cannot exceed 10MBps, I have checked and rechecked the cabling, the router, the settings in windows and the...
  10. Yet another gigabit ethernet issue

Yet another gigabit ethernet issue: Hello everyone, Found this forum from my Google searches but couldn't find a similar issue. I use ethernet cable to connect my laptop to a router. My router supports gigabit connection and the wiring of the house is cat 5e. Yet the connection is very unstable on my...