Windows 10: Laptop running slowly intermintently

Discus and support Laptop running slowly intermintently in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Dell Precision M6800 with Windows 10 upgrade running on a Samsung 860 mSATA 250GB has started to run veeerrrryyyy sloooowwwwwllllllyyyyy. It will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DaedalusBD, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Laptop running slowly intermintently

My Dell Precision M6800 with Windows 10 upgrade running on a Samsung 860 mSATA 250GB has started to run veeerrrryyyy sloooowwwwwllllllyyyyy. It will run fine for days or weeks at a time and then for no reason that I can see, it will then take ages to boot up and it then runs so slowly it can take 15-30 seconds to open my Vivaldi browser or other program. I have looked all over to find a solution but other than a recommendation to try running the Windows upgrade trouble-shooter, nothing seems to work. I can run the trouble-shooter that says that there is nothing to be found wrong and then restart the laptop several times and no difference, but then next time I start it, say next day it runs fine. I found that there was a large number of hard faults in performance monitor and changed the disk cache to accommodate this, this seemed to sort the problem out for a while, but now the fault has come back again a number of times. Any help would be gratefully received.

:)

DaedalusBD, Nov 29, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Nov 29, 2018
  3. Laptop freezing and running slowly when on Netflix

Hi Beccafay,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are facing this issue.

Unplug all external devices connected to the computer and restart the computer to check if that helps.

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the computer and then sign in to the admin account to check if this helps. Ensure to install any pending updates on the computer and remember to restart the system.

The “System Maintenance” Troubleshooter is an automated tool which checks for the common maintenance tasks on Windows. Try using the System Maintenance troubleshooter to automatically find and fix problems. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

• In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

• Click on “System Maintenance”.

• Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Nov 29, 2018
  4. BlackOwl Win User

Laptop running slowly intermintently

Windows running slowly in specific situations

Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I bought it less than two months ago. Other programs are substantially slower than normal to load, but act quite fine once they've been loaded (Sid Meier's Civilization V and Overwatch are two notable exmaples - they take up to six times longer to load than they did this time last week). The change was sudden but not noticeable straightaway.

One further change I've noticed is that whenever I go to shut down or reboot the computer, it tells me it's "Getting Windows ready" despite there being no updates to my knowledge. It tends to hang on that screen for some time before it actually shuts down or reboots - I'm not sure how long it takes as I often lose patience and go and do something else, but it's more than expected.

Steps I've already tried:
    • rebooting
    • antivirus scan
    • uninstalling programs I've installed within the last week
    • rolling back Windows updates (which I've found to be basically impossible)
    • cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)
    • updating my video card drivers
    • defragging all three hard drives

Any ideas?

BlackOwl, Nov 29, 2018
Thema:

Laptop running slowly intermintently

1. Laptop running slowly intermintently - Similar Threads - Laptop running slowly

2. Programs run slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs run slowly: I have a window 7 ,14 years from now , Because Microsoft ended the support from windows 7 and programs very slow, glitches,and won't run smoothly,I decided to upgrade it to windows 10..I'm very glad because it run now smoothly,New UI,and more features.But after a week on...
  3. Programs run slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs run slowly: I have a window 7 ,14 years from now , Because Microsoft ended the support from windows 7 and programs very slow, glitches,and won't run smoothly,I decided to upgrade it to windows 10..I'm very glad because it run now smoothly,New UI,and more features.But after a week on...
  4. Computer running slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer running slowly: I have recently copied files from my external hard drive to my laptop. My computer is running slowly and my programs such as Adobe and outlook keeps freezing and saying not responding. I think it is the files but when I do a scan for viruses, nothing is detected. What could...
  5. Computer running slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer running slowly: I have recently copied files from my external hard drive to my laptop. My computer is running slowly and my programs such as Adobe and outlook keeps freezing and saying not responding. I think it is the files but when I do a scan for viruses, nothing is detected. What could...
  6. Why is Surface Laptop Go running slowly?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is Surface Laptop Go running slowly?: I have a brand new Surface Laptop Go which has Intel Core i5-1035G1 CPU with 4GB RAM. It was received from the Microsoft store last week. Its performance out of the box performance is unacceptable. It runs unbelievably slowly and sluggishly, especially when compared to my...
  7. Laptop running very slowly after restart

Laptop running very slowly after restart: I reset my laptop and now it is running much slower than before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-running-very-slowly-after-restart/131bc8e6-ce13-4cd9-abd9-68be9abb0b71
  8. My laptop runs slowly when unplugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop runs slowly when unplugged: I've noticed that when I play games on my laptop a Dell G3 15 unplugged, it tends to run more slowly than when it is plugged in. I would really like to find a way around this, because I don't want to rely on being plugged in all the time it heats up a lot when plugged in. So...
  9. Windows running slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows running slowly: So to start off my computer has 16 GB of ram, Intel i5-7500 4 core processor (and a GTX 1060, if that changes anything) but yet windows runs very slowly. Sometimes it’ll take up to 20 seconds to just get a response from pressing the windows key, and I find it very annoying....
  10. Laptop running slowly

Laptop running slowly: My laptop is getting very slow. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-running-slowly/7dd93db5-2ab3-44fa-ae5b-d3239eb003a9