Windows 10: Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not

Discus and support Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m not a tech savvy by any means so forgive me if something I say seems stupid or obvious. I had this problem a few months ago and had to go get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ih8jessica, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not

I’m not a tech savvy by any means so forgive me if something I say seems stupid or obvious. I had this problem a few months ago and had to go get it fixed but it happened again and I really don’t wanna spend more money fixing it. I dropped my laptop on my carpeted floor while it was charging and the charger broke in the process. I got a new charger and when I plug it in the little charging symbol pops up but the battery percentage hasn’t gone up or down no matter how long it stays in. I have windows 10 and my battery isn’t removable. Any ideas on how to fix this?

submitted by /u/ih8jessica
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ih8jessica, Dec 25, 2020
  2. Akihiko Win User

Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

Thanks for the response, but the issue is not the battery or the laptop. It was charging and working fine prior to this most recent Windows 10 update.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. When the charger is plugged in, it just says "plugged in", but my battery has been at 2% for the past several hours. Obviously the charger is doing something since it's holding the 2% power, but it's not charging. There has to be some day to bypass whatever this update broke.

Akihiko, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not

Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not

1. Laptop says it’s charging but it’s not - Similar Threads - Laptop says it’s

2. Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in: My Laptop is a Dell Latitude with Windows 11 on it, and it says it's charging but it's not plugged in at all. I've reseted it three times and updated my computer just to make sure, but it still says it's charging. The battery light that shows when it's charging is still one,...
  3. Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in: My Laptop is a Dell Latitude with Windows 11 on it, and it says it's charging but it's not plugged in at all. I've reseted it three times and updated my computer just to make sure, but it still says it's charging. The battery light that shows when it's charging is still one,...
  4. my asus laptop battery icon says is not charging while charged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my asus laptop battery icon says is not charging while charged: my asus laptop battery is malfunctioning. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-asus-laptop-battery-icon-says-is-not-charging/a19aaeb0-5210-4b3c-be75-3b5de6df46d3
  5. my asus laptop battery icon says is not charging while charged

my asus laptop battery icon says is not charging while charged: my asus laptop battery is malfunctioning. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-asus-laptop-battery-icon-says-is-not-charging/a19aaeb0-5210-4b3c-be75-3b5de6df46d3
  6. My laptop Says it charging, but no light, nor is it going up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop Says it charging, but no light, nor is it going up.: I have a laptop, but when it is charging, the battery does not charge, should i fix something on windows to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-says-it-charging-but-no-light-nor-is-it/78a830a7-e297-4431-b09e-442bfa23d7a1
  7. My laptop Says it charging, but no light, nor is it going up.

My laptop Says it charging, but no light, nor is it going up.: I have a laptop, but when it is charging, the battery does not charge, should i fix something on windows to fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-says-it-charging-but-no-light-nor-is-it/78a830a7-e297-4431-b09e-442bfa23d7a1
  8. MY DELL INSPIRON LAPTOP ISNT CHARGING...IT SAYS 0%CHARGING PLZ HELP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MY DELL INSPIRON LAPTOP ISNT CHARGING...IT SAYS 0%CHARGING PLZ HELP: MY DELL INSPIRON LAPTOP ISNT CHARGING...IT SAYS 0%CHARGING PLZ HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-inspiron-laptop-isnt-chargingit-says/03d0b7ed-4d52-4e1f-bc3e-cc22a827e77e
  9. why dell laptop says plugged in not charging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why dell laptop says plugged in not charging: Dell Inspiron 15 3531 laptop still says Plugged in not charging after replacing battery and AC adapter. I've also tried uninstalling driver as suggested. Tapping F2 at startup doesn't access BIOS and it's out of warranty. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Was this...
  10. Laptop charging, but when plugged in for a few minutes says low % not charging.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop charging, but when plugged in for a few minutes says low % not charging.: So, my laptop is charging just fine, but after a bit the battery icon says "28%, plugged in not charging" however when I unplug it it jumps right to 100% power on the icon and works just fine. It's not affecting my performance but its a little annoying. Does anyone know a...