Windows 10: Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor

Discus and support Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello,This may be as simple as me just not knowing what setting to change, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere else. I recently updated my drivers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JamFrost95, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor

Hello,This may be as simple as me just not knowing what setting to change, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere else. I recently updated my drivers on my HP Envy x360 laptop, and after restarting, a feature seems to have been turned on that dims whatever window is open on my laptop. I am using 2 external monitors connected to a port and neither of the external monitors dim when I click away from them, only my laptop screen dims when I use one of the external monitors. However, it is not the screen dimming, because the taskbar across the bottom does not dim at all, only whatever window is op

:)

JamFrost95, Jul 30, 2021
  2. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Jul 30, 2021
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor

Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 30, 2021
Thema:

Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor

1. Laptop Screen Dimming when I Click on External Monitor - Similar Threads - Laptop Screen Dimming

2. Laptop screen dims by itself.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop screen dims by itself.: Since updating to 21H1, my laptop screens will dim very frequently on its own.This is very annoying since I do photo editing and have calibrated my display and have to reset the brightness every so often sometimes in the middle of an edit. How do I stop the dimming?Edition...
  3. Screen dimming when I press “c”

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Screen dimming when I press “c”: Hi allI used my laptop for the first time in about a week this morning, and when typing in my password I noticed the letter “c” wasn’t typing, and instead if pressed it would make the screen dimmer, exactly the same as the brightness function keysI can’t even sign in to my...
  4. dual monitors, when I'm on one screen, the other dims

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual monitors, when I'm on one screen, the other dims: Keyboard shortcut issue, as this has happened before when my toddler smacked my keyboard but long ago now and I don't remember how I fixed it. When I am on a window on one monitor such as typing in this dialog box to enter this question, since my web browser is on one...
  5. Screen Dims when in full screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen Dims when in full screen: For the past 3-4 months my screen randomly started dimming when I go fullscreen in various applications. I originally thought it was an Overwatch problem, but it has also happened in zoom whenever someone screenshares. I have tried everything I have found online, messed with...
  6. Screen dims when no charging

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Screen dims when no charging: When my laptop is not charging the screen dims a lot, and the only way to get it to be brights again is to plug it in. submitted by /u/ext-meticulous [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikaywz/screen_dims_when_no_charging/
  7. Laptop screen dims on battery

Laptop screen dims on battery: Hello. This appears to be new behavior windows 1809 installed. I have a dell precision M6700. When the background is darkish the backlight light dims, when you open a browser window or something bright the brightness increases. This is not a quick action and as a result is...
  8. Laptop screen dims on battery

Laptop screen dims on battery: Hello. This appears to be new behavior windows 1809 installed. I have a dell precision M6700. When the background is darkish the backlight light dims, when you open a browser window or something bright the brightness increases. This is not a quick action and as a result is...
  9. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...
  10. Laptop screen not detected when using external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Laptop screen not detected when using external monitor: Hi As the title says, I have just upgraded my laptop to windows 10 from windows 8, I usually use the laptop screen and an external monitor, for dual screen, however in windows 10, with the external monitor connected it does not detect and other screens, am I missing...