Windows 10: Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

Discus and support Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10. When I am using the laptop standalone, meaning it isn't plugged into an external monitor, I set the screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by IMTheNachoMan, May 15, 2022.

1. Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10. When I am using the laptop standalone, meaning it isn't plugged into an external monitor, I set the screen display scaling to 100%. Then I plug in an external monitor and set the display scaling to 125%.When I unplug the external monitor, or reboot without the external monitor connected, the display scaling is still set to 125%. I want it to automatically revert to the display scaling it was before the external monitor.Is that possible?

:)

IMTheNachoMan, May 15, 2022

2. Remember Scale settings on external monitor

I have a docking station for my laptop but right now, every time I connect up, Windows acts like it is seeing the monitor for the first time and using the same settings with that monitor that my laptop screen has.

Is there a way to get the machine to remember my scaling settings and such for the external monitor?

nhorton-F36C58F9-50B8-4B31-BB8F-9B948E7702AB, May 15, 2022
  3. Vivian_S Win User
    External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, May 15, 2022
  4. jon_win10 Win User

Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

Automatically change display scaling when laptop docked/connected to an external monitor (win 10)

Hi. Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I have a laptop which runs in QHD resolution. Because the screen is small I have to use 150% scaling so that I can see things clearly. I also have a docking station at work which is connected to a 27 inch
    QHD monitor. When im connected to the external monitor i need to have scaling at 100% or things look bad. I only mirror my laptop screen on the larger external monitor, so i am not using one screen as the primary/secondary. I know windows 10 has the ability
    to adjust scaling and other settings for each monitor, but when i look at the settings, my monitor is listed as "1/2", so I cant adjust settings for each monitor individually. I want to know if there is a way that my laptop can run in 150% scaling when it
    is disconnected from the external monitor, and automatically run in 100% scaling when it connects to the external monitor. Since both monitors are QHD, the only thing i need to change automatically is the scaling. Can this be done without having to change
    settings manually?

thanks!

jon_win10, May 15, 2022
Thema:

Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

1. Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor. - Similar Threads - Laptop screen does

2. External Monitor doesnt display anything but laptop does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor doesnt display anything but laptop does: First things first you need to know that my laptop screen is broken and I use an external monitor for my laptop. I dont know if this can help but keep in mind my monitor has a lower maximum resolution than my laptop, my monitor can only go up to 1366x768 and my laptop can go...
  3. External Monitor doesnt display anything but laptop does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor doesnt display anything but laptop does: First things first you need to know that my laptop screen is broken and I use an external monitor for my laptop. I dont know if this can help but keep in mind my monitor has a lower maximum resolution than my laptop, my monitor can only go up to 1366x768 and my laptop can go...
  4. Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.: I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10. When I am using the laptop standalone, meaning it isn't plugged into an external monitor, I set the screen display scaling to 100%. Then I plug in an external monitor and set the display scaling to 125%.When I unplug the external...
  5. Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop screen does not remember display scaling before and after using an external monitor.: I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10. When I am using the laptop standalone, meaning it isn't plugged into an external monitor, I set the screen display scaling to 100%. Then I plug in an external monitor and set the display scaling to 125%.When I unplug the external...
  6. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  7. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  8. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...

Broken built-in screen on laptop and using external monitor, monitor not used by laptop...: I am using a laptop with a broken screen where i can literally see nothing but black and white and some messed up stuff and I use an external monitor, so basically I am blind without the external monitor. I recently updated the laptop from win7 to win10, I waited for it to...
  10. Display scaling, not using whole monitor after a update

Display scaling, not using whole monitor after a update: My windows 10 computer updated and after the screen is not the size of the entire monitor, there are black bars on all 4 sides of the picture. I tried adjusting resolution and updating driver but no luck....