Windows 10: Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised

Discus and support Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011. Windows 10 is installed and working, Using it right now but with an external monitor. Found several posts about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tomcucm, Aug 6, 2015.

1. tomcucm Win User

Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 from 2011. Windows 10 is installed and working, Using it right now but with an external monitor. Found several posts about booting into a black screen but they seem to only be the case when there is a cursor floating round as well.

My problem is that when I boot up the laptop I get the windows 10 loading screen. Then it goes black and stays black. The screen is definitely on but not showing anything. And I've left it for an hour and nothing happens. But when I plug in a second monitor it works on there and seems to detect this second monitor as the only one. Once this monitor is attached, the laptop screen turns itself off and cannot be turned back on, not even to the state it was in before of just being black.

Checked and all drivers are up to date. If I change the settings, by hitting windows key and p, to extend the screen then i can drag the mouse from the second monitor into apparently nothing so I really can't tell if the computer knows about its own screen or not. Also sound is working through the laptop, don't know if this helps.

Any help is greatly appreciated, kind of need this laptop for work but would like it to be running win 10.

:)

tomcucm, Aug 6, 2015
  2. jena116 Win User

0x0000001 error

Hey,

Last night my laptop was acting up, so I restarted it. The loading screen appears, but before the log in screen appears it just seems to stop working. It's still on, but it's black and doesn't react to anything. I've tried to restart it, and once in a while
    a blue screen pops up saying that the laptop didn't shut down properly. I downloaded Windows 10 (my laptop was running before that) and try to start it from USB but it just doesn't recognise that. I've tried to wipe the entire drive and install Windows 10
    but it said that the disk partitioning wasn't correct or something like that. I've tried to recover it, restore it, but doesn't really react to anything.

Thank you.

jena116, Aug 6, 2015
  3. PROBLEM LAODING DEVICE.

My laptop with windows10 doesn't seem to recognise my ipod nano,even as an external storage device yet i have the itunes application in my drive.What might be the problem and is their any solution?

kevinmwangangi, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised

Try going to setting's > system display > scroll down to, Advanced display setting's >

Multiple display's > click on the drop down arrow > choose Duplicate these displays > Apply.

This will have both screen's active.

I just tried this on my laptop and external monitor and it work's perfect.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Aug 6, 2015
  5. tomcucm Win User
    This doesn't work, I'm guessing this only works if both monitors are already working? I tried it anyway but it doesn't recognise that there are two monitors, it only recognises the second monitor which it thinks is the main screen. The laptop screen still stays turned off

tomcucm, Aug 6, 2015
  6. tomcucm Win User
    Dam, this was such an easy fix. Running Dell's driver update, it was telling me everything was fine. But going onto their website I saw there was a bios update that it wasn't telling me about from A09 to A11, updating this now lets my screen work.

tomcucm, Aug 6, 2015
  7. Great, I glad to hear its taken care of.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised

Is there a way of re-install the BIOS?

I've have the same problem, with the black screen, even for a few secs the pc starts good, but after showing everythng It should, the screen turns black... I can start the aplications from administrator manager and even surf trough my files.

The problem is that I installed A11 BIOS long time ago, then updated to Windows 10 and got the black screen, I downloaded the BIOS again but just got a message: "Can't flash to the same Bios version. Press Ok to exit."

Also can't go back to A9 Bios due to another message: "You are about to flash your bios to an older Bios version. Dell does not recommend flashing your Bios to an older version. Press Ok button to exit."

Any Ideas?

johnatan89, Aug 6, 2015
  9. cameos Win User
    Did you try to adjust screen brightness from Fn key command on keyboard? I have a Dell latitude E4300 with latest BIOS, after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the system booted up normally (with Windows logo, etc.) but at some point the screen went dark/black (the system worked with an external monitor). Then I found out that the screen brightness was turned to 0% (could be something about auto-adjust brightness).

cameos, Aug 6, 2015
  10. jpmd69 Win User
    Hi Cameos, Everything else in you Dell Latitude E4300 works with Win10? (Retro-illuminated keyboard, Fingerprint scanner, etc?...)
    Thanks

jpmd69, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised

1. Laptop screen doesn't seem to be recognised - Similar Threads - Laptop screen doesn't

2. One Drive data purchase doesn't seem to be recognised on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive data purchase doesn't seem to be recognised on my laptop: I received a notification telling me that I was out of storage on OneDrive Cloud on my personal account so I bought extra storage. I received an email from Microsoft confirming this and acknowledging the credit card used. However, I still keep seeing the icon at the bottom...
  3. One Drive data purchase doesn't seem to be recognised on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive data purchase doesn't seem to be recognised on my laptop: I received a notification telling me that I was out of storage on OneDrive Cloud on my personal account so I bought extra storage. I received an email from Microsoft confirming this and acknowledging the credit card used. However, I still keep seeing the icon at the bottom...
  4. URGENT! Laptop doesn't recognise any disk drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT! Laptop doesn't recognise any disk drive: So basically it happened to delete by mistake 2 registry files and now the windows doesn't boot up. The only things that I can use are the Bios and windows boot manager which has the cmd that recognises only important files as X:\, windows backup or restore doesn't work,...
  5. URGENT! Laptop doesn't recognise any disk drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    URGENT! Laptop doesn't recognise any disk drive: So basically it happened to delete by mistake 2 registry files and now the windows doesn't boot up. The only things that I can use are the Bios and windows boot manager which has the cmd that recognises only important files as X:\, windows backup or restore doesn't work,...
  6. URGENT! Laptop doesn't recognise any disk drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Laptop doesn't recognise monitor audio

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop doesn't recognise monitor audio: Under output devices I used to be able to select my monitor and directly plug in my headphones into my monitor. After factory resetting my computer, that option does not appear anymore. Does anyone know a fix. submitted by /u/lordSKULLcRuShr [link] [comments]...
  8. Laptop not recognising 3rd screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop not recognising 3rd screen.: Hi I have a laptop which I want to connect two screens to so there is three or 2 monitor screens without laptop screen. The laptop is a Lenovo L13 yoga with windows 10. One screen is a Think Vision digital display LEN P27H-10, 2560 x 1440 with c-USB to c-USB. One screen...
  9. Windows 10 laptop doesn't recognise USB drawing tablet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 laptop doesn't recognise USB drawing tablet: Hi! I bought a Star 03 XP-PEN drawing tablet around 2 years ago, and it worked perfectly on my old PC which was windows 10. I recently got a new laptop after not having one for a year or so and I have tried to reinstall my tablet. I was given a disc which installed the...
  10. Laptop not recognising usb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop not recognising usb: Just got a new Asus x540s and I tried to back up my files using a usb but when I clicked on "add drive" the system could not find the stick, if I go into the drives I can see my stick from there ! any ideas ?*Confused 62793