Windows 10: laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run

Discus and support laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, recently my laptop is having some trouble. When I open a PDF and start reading I don't touch anything. Then the screen fades to black(probably the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kartikpeddinti, May 7, 2019.

1. laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run

Hi, recently my laptop is having some trouble. When I open a PDF and start reading I don't touch anything. Then the screen fades to black(probably the screen turns off) now it should come back when I touch my keyboard or mouse but it doesn't. Nothing works on the laptop neither the keyboard nor the touchpad. I then have to manually power off the laptop by hard pressing the power button and then restart. Event viewer reported a critical error. Error 41. Below is the XML generated by Event Viewer. What is the underlying issue? hardware or software? All the drivers and BIOS is up to date Any help is appreciated.

CONFIG:
    NAME: HP pavilion 15-cc134tx
    CPU: i7-8550U
    RAM: 8GB
    GPU: Nvidia 940MX 4GB

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 07-05-2019 07:05:07 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: LAPTOP-G9R5VD68
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-07T13:35:07.204564400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8469</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>LAPTOP-G9R5VD68</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

:)

kartikpeddinti, May 7, 2019

2. Black screen, non-responsive, laptop fan runs at 100% power

- Installed Creators Update on 12-April.

- Checked/applied patches on 13-April.

- Few hours after running, saw the laptop screen was black, mouse was unresponsive, and fan was running at 100% power. Had to hard power down the whole laptop.

JustSomeGuy5, May 7, 2019
  3. Update Win User
    Laptop fans running --- no image black screen

No that didnt change anything.

Black screen, power lights on, fans running > Black screen, charge lights on

.....hard drive or RAM...

Update, May 7, 2019
  4. Virus-j Win User

laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, May 7, 2019
Thema:

laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run

1. laptop screen fades to black and then nothing works but still the fans run - Similar Threads - laptop screen fades

2. Black screen and nothing works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen and nothing works: Hello, I'm experiencing black screen with cursor and all the hacks Ive used don't work e.g Win+shift+ctrl+b, ctrl+alt+delete, ctrl+shift+ESC. Even shift and restart to safe mode doesn't work. It's just stuck on black. I've watched almost all YouTube videos but nothing works...
  3. Laptop freezes and screen fades to black.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes and screen fades to black.: I have a refurbished Dell Latitude 7390. It works great, until recently it began to freeze, and the screen would begin to fade to black. I have tried cleaning it. I have run multiple system scans and diagnostics and even scanned for malware but that still hasn't fixed it. I'm...
  4. Laptop freezes and screen fades to black.

Laptop freezes and screen fades to black.: I have a refurbished Dell Latitude 7390. It works great, until recently it began to freeze, and the screen would begin to fade to black. I have tried cleaning it. I have run multiple system scans and diagnostics and even scanned for malware but that still hasn't fixed it. I'm...
  5. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.: Hello, I have a problem with my MSI Laptop, it goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on, tried to Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B but nothing happen, everything that runs currently would forcedly stop like music, game, etc so i need to force shutdown it...
  6. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.: Hello, I have a problem with my MSI Laptop, it goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on, tried to Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B but nothing happen, everything that runs currently would forcedly stop like music, game, etc so i need to force shutdown it...
  7. Laptop goes Black screen randomly with backlit and fan still on.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Black screen but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  9. Black screen but still running

Black screen but still running: Hi guys,I left my laptop on for a while as I had to do something and when I came back the power was on, the fan was running, and the keyboard backlight was on, but the screen was black. I tried moving the mouse and pressing keys but it didn't wake. I also tried Windows + Ctrl...
  10. Black screen but the laptop is still working ...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen but the laptop is still working ...: I have a question concerning another situation with my laptop. My screen goes to black 5 minutes after no activities and i could put it back up just by pressing on any keys from the keyboard. Now I can't turn the screen up back but I still can hear the laptop working in the...