Windows 10: Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working

Discus and support Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was on my computer playing a game, up until my keyboard stopped working. Then my power button wouldn't work even if I held it down for more than 30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ohewf, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Ohewf Win User

Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working

I was on my computer playing a game, up until my keyboard stopped working. Then my power button wouldn't work even if I held it down for more than 30 seconds. Then my screen just froze. I can't do anything and I'm waiting for my computer to run out
    of battery. This is the third time it has done this. I'm sick and tired of this issue and I really want to know what's causing this and how to solve it.

Thanks.

:)

Ohewf, Jun 30, 2017

2. Windows not responding

I have a Dell inspiron 15 7000 series. My laptop froze. My keyboard stopped working first, so i tried restarting my pc, it didn't work. I tried turning it off by holding the power button. Nothing worked. Slowly programs stopped working, then my cursor froze.
    My screen then said my laptop ran into a problem and needs to restart, it restarted but only black screen came. What could possibly this be, and what can I do?

Vinum Sabbathi, Jun 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10 laptop not working.

I was on my laptop when suddenly the screen had froze. It started making a buzzing sound and it still is. I tried turning it off using the power button, but that wouldn't work. I need help immediatley. Im not sure if this could damage my laptop.

OrangePixi, Jun 30, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Please post information about your notebook (Manufacturer, model, ram etc).
    When did the problems start?
    Have you made any recent hardware or software changes?
    Has the problem been only hangs and freezes or also bsod?
    Are your files backed up?
    Have you made an image?

Holding the power button for 30 seconds to 1 minute often powers off the computer.
    Power on and see if you can get to the desk top.
    If you can get to the desktop open administrative command prompt and type: sfc /scannow
    After that completes type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    And after that type chkdsk /scan

If you cannot get to the desk top power on again and as soon as you see the Microsoft icon power off.
    Power on again until you see the Microsoft icon and immediately power off. The timing is critical.
    On the second or third time windows should open the recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu.
    In the troubleshooting menu navigate to system restore
    click on system restore and look for a restore point that predates the computer problems
    If there is no valid restore point navigate in the windows advanced troubleshooting menu to
    startup settings
    click restart
    select #6 enable safe mode with command prompt
    type your password
    This will open a window or box with title bar Administrator: cmd.exe
    It will display C:\Windows\system32>
    type: sfc /scannow
    It will display verification % complete
    It should take < 15 minutes to complete
    Then type: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Then type chkdsk

Report into the thread the results of each scannow, restorehealth, and chkdsk or whether you were able to restore or choose another repair method.

zbook, Jun 30, 2017
  5. Ohewf Win User
    My manufacturer is Dell.

Its an Inspiron 7559

8 GB of RAM

What concerns me the most is the BIOS version.
    The BIOS date says September 22nd 2016.
    I delved deeper into the model and the issue I faced.

It seems to have been going on for quite a while.

The support thread of the issue

Someone checked an error thing on a dell support forum and it said something about the BIOS yet he said he had a fully updated BIOS.

The problems started while I was playing a game.

It didn't happen instantly.

It just happened out of the blue, it's done this before. I am not sure why it does this.

The only recent hardware change I've made (if you count it as hardware) is adding an external hard drive.
    I don't think that would be the source of the problem.

The problem was only a screen freeze. No BSOD.

The laptop is powered back on now because i waited for its battery to run out.

My files are not backed up. However I have not suffered from any file loss of any kind.

I wasn't able to make an image due to my computer freezing and the keyboard not being able to work since I use Print screen.

My results for the scans were:

Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working [​IMG]

Attachment 141943

Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working [​IMG]

I believe it is the issue from above.

I cant get the image of the administrator thing gone sorry.

Ohewf, Jun 30, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:

1) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

2) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

3) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use. Are the boots faster or slower? Are the shutdowns faster or slower? Have the hangs gotten better, worse, or the same.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop screen froze, keyboard and power button not working - Similar Threads - Laptop screen froze

2. Keyboard suddenly not working besides enter power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard suddenly not working besides enter power button: I have recently started having problems with my Nitro 5 laptop, the keyboard buttons do not work besides the power button, I have tried doing the the start up, installing the keyboard driver, even resetting my laptop, only got it to still not work. I noticed I had an update...
  3. My laptop keyboard is not working except the power button

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My laptop keyboard is not working except the power button: I have an acer extensa 215 — 31. I already tried updating and uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver.**Move From Surface / Surface Book / Surface Book 2 / Performance and maintenance**...
  4. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  5. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  6. My keyboard ain't working but the power button does

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard ain't working but the power button does: hello, I've tried troubleshooting my keyboard but it does not fix the problem. I'm having a hard time fixing it and trying to find an issue relating to this but I can't find any. I also tried looking for it on the device manager but i can't see the keyboard on it. before i...
  7. My keyboard ain't working but the power button does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard ain't working but the power button does: hello, I've tried troubleshooting my keyboard but it does not fix the problem. I'm having a hard time fixing it and trying to find an issue relating to this but I can't find any. I also tried looking for it on the device manager but i can't see the keyboard on it. before i...
  8. Power button and screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power button and screen: Hello I have a problem with my laptop. I assigned the power button to hibernate but when i press it nothing happens. And when i enter start menu and select power and choose hibernate the screen turns black but not off and the laptop keeps running but you can't do anything....
  9. Keyboard power button disabling

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard power button disabling: I need a clarification:My desktop's mechanical keyboard has the classic dangerous "power" button, which after X PCs the last 35 years I pressed for the 1st time in my life accidentally 2 times the last days, resulting in annoyance the 1st time and work loss the 2nd. Trying to...
  10. Keyboard, mouse, screen and power button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard, mouse, screen and power button not working: I had my windows 10 dell laptop repaired 3 weeks ago and everything was working perfectly whole laptop was reset and today the keyboard stopped working, the screen froze, the mouse froze and when i tried to turn it off, the power button done nothing forcing me to have to wait...