Windows 10: Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.

Discus and support Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've been having problems with my laptops. The screen sometimes just doesn't turn on or turn back on if I restart it. Using an external monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yaseen360, Sep 20, 2019.

1. yaseen360 Win User

Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.

Hi,

I've been having problems with my laptops. The screen sometimes just doesn't turn on or turn back on if I restart it. Using an external monitor works fine but the built in screen is having problems. It will sometimes turn on and show no signs of damage or loose connections etc so I feel this is a solely software issue. I have completely reset the computers windows 10 and uninstall and reinstall the drivers multiple times over. I have tried a lot of the solutions on the Microsoft website which sometimes work but as soon as I turn the laptop off the problems back. The laptop is a DELL Inspiron 5370

Any help would be great thanks

:)

yaseen360, Sep 20, 2019
  2. ElleTea Win User

External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop.

I have worked with Dell's IT support on this issue each time to resolve the issue but I would like to figure out how to stop this from happening and/or resolve it on my own when it does happen. Dell IT support eventually fixed the problem after trying many
    solutions and it was too convoluted for me to follow, so I cannot recreate what was successfully done to actually solve the issue. And I don't understand why it is reoccurring. I had zero problems with this external monitor with my old laptop.

Here's a summary:

- laptop always makes the chime sound when the cable to the external monitor is connected and disconnected; "no input" flashes on the screen of the external monitor

- sometimes I can get the external monitor to connect again if I hibernate my laptop and then wake it up; sometimes I need to shut my laptop down completely and restart to get the monitor to connect again; putting the laptop to sleep and then waking it up
    never resolves the problem

- I turned sleep off entirely because usually if my laptop went to sleep then the external monitor would no longer connect upon waking

- I turned off the laptop screen time out (i.e. laptop goes to screen saver or just turns off) because the external monitor would no longer connect afterwards

- In Settings, Display, I have tried the "Detect" button to try to connect to my external display; it doesn't work and I don't think it has ever worked

- I updated BIOS a few times and it did not help; I eventually had to roll back to a BIOS that was four versions older in order for the monitor to connect again

- I updated video card drivers (and a few others that I don't remember because it was months ago), and this did not seem to help

- My setup has been working for the last three or four months until yesterday and now I can't get the monitor to connect no matter what; the only update/change I could see that happened was an update of the "Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus",
    but perhaps there were other updates that happened that I don't know how to check for

- I've had three blue screen failures in the two months, and I think one or two others in the last year; stop code: unexpected store exception

I hope I've given enough detail here. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.17134

Dell XPS 13 9360

BIOS Dell Inc. 2.9.0, 7/9/2018

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

driver version 23.20.16.4973 (installed in April)

***Moved from Windows 10/Performance & system failures***

ElleTea, Sep 20, 2019
  3. Cbowers3 Win User
    Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.

my acer aspire laptop dosent detect external vga monitor .

Hi Sivaram,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    This issue might be happening because of the faulty drivers. That’s the reason you are getting intermittent connection on external monitor.

However, you may try the below suggested steps.

Step 1: Try connecting on a different monitor and check if the issue still persists.

Step 2: Try using a different VGA cable to connect with external monitor and check the status of the issue.

Step 3: Update display driver adapters

You may refer the article
    Update drivers in Windows 10
    and check the status of the issue.

Step 4: Check for an updated Video driver on the

Acer drivers and Manuals page

For more information you may also refer
    troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works.

1. Laptop screen intermittently turning on but external monitor works. - Similar Threads - Laptop screen intermittently

2. Screen Saver not working with external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Saver not working with external monitor: I own an Asus laptop purchased in 2019 and used HDMI port to plug into a 28" Asus external monitor. The screen saver works sometimes but not hardly at all. I tired changing lots of settings but still won't come on after setting the time limit. Any suggestions?...
  3. Turn on laptop but external monitor no signal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn on laptop but external monitor no signal: I trying to see if there is a possible fix, I use a type c to displayport cable to my external monitor and when I on my laptop the external monitor have no signal only when I unplug and plug back in the type c cable then there is a signal. I have tried off and on my external...
  4. Turn on laptop but external monitor no signal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn on laptop but external monitor no signal: I trying to see if there is a possible fix, I use a type c to displayport cable to my external monitor and when I on my laptop the external monitor have no signal only when I unplug and plug back in the type c cable then there is a signal. I have tried off and on my external...
  5. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  6. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  7. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor: [ATTACH]If you want to turn off the laptop screen when using an external monitor, you can follow this guide. It is possible to switch off […] This article How to turn off Laptop Screen when using External Monitor first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...
  10. External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External monitor "no input"; worked with old laptop and intermittently with new laptop: For nearly one year I've been using an external monitor to extend my display. Over the year my set up has stopped working three times and I get the message on the external monitor "no input" when I plug in the cable to my laptop. I have worked with Dell's IT support on this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop turns on only intermittently

2. laptop monitor only works intermittently

3. laptop screen stops working but external monitor works