Windows 10: Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...

Discus and support Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’m using an older DELL Inspiron N5050 laptop that had Windows 7 Home Premium. I just installed Windows 10 Home and now I can only use the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/saw141_official, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...

I’m using an older DELL Inspiron N5050 laptop that had Windows 7 Home Premium. I just installed Windows 10 Home and now I can only use the computer with an external display. BIOS works, the boot screen shows on the laptop display, then it goes black. Only with an external display or having Intel HD 3000 drivers uninstalled will it display on the laptop screen.

I’ve tried Win Key+P, it doesn’t work to make anything reappear or restore function to the laptop screen. I’ve tried the Intel Graphics Properties that come with Intel HD graphics. I searched for my particular DELL model on their website and downloaded these drivers for Windows 7/8 64-by because they don’t have 10 driver, I also tried the most recent release from Intel’s site.

The ONLY time I’ve been able to get a display of Windows 10 post boot through the laptop screen was after completely uninstalling the Intel drivers which left the computer with it’s basic fundamental display drivers. The resolution was low and this doesn’t seem like a preferable solution. Is there really nothing I can do here because DELL/Intel haven’t updated the drivers for 10? This sucks.

My resolution with just “Microsoft Basic Display Adapter” can only either be 1024x768 or 800x600, it’s a 1366x768 display. I also can’t detect any other additional displays...

submitted by /u/saw141_official
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/saw141_official, Jan 10, 2020
  2. LemP Win User

connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

3. Cbowers3 Win User
    Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...

Making Laptop Boot To External Monitor

Hi,

I'm trying to just run my laptop as a desktop, as the screen hinges are faulty. Its a Lenovo Y410P. I know how to switch the display to the external monitor in the control panel settings. But I want to make it so that I can put the laptop to sleep or restart the laptop, and upon boot up have the login be displayed on the second monitor exclusively.

Currently, when the laptop is started from sleep or restarts, it will display everything only on the laptop screen. Then I have to open up the laptop, switch settings and send it to the external monitor.

Anyway to have this laptop behave just like a desktop?

Monitor is a ViewSonic VA2265smh. I'm running this via HDMI cable.

easycowboy, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor...

1. Laptop Screen not displaying after boot, only accessible through external or second monitor... - Similar Threads - Laptop Screen displaying

2. External monitor not working on second screen only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor not working on second screen only.: So for my laptop DELL XPS 9560, I have a external monitor that I would like to use. At first this monitor did not work at all with the laptop. I set the settings to duplicate and altered the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor from 59.94 to 60Hz and that's when it started...
  3. External monitor not working on second screen only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External monitor not working on second screen only.: So for my laptop DELL XPS 9560, I have a external monitor that I would like to use. At first this monitor did not work at all with the laptop. I set the settings to duplicate and altered the refresh rate of the 2nd monitor from 59.94 to 60Hz and that's when it started...
  4. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  5. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  6. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...: My laptop is Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 with Intel i5-8300H and NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti. When I extend the laptop screen using an external monitor or set the Secondary screen only my PC hangs after using it for some times. But it works fine when I use the external...
  8. Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...

Laptop freezes while using external monitor with Extend or Second screen only but working...: My laptop is Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 with Intel i5-8300H and NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti. When I extend the laptop screen using an external monitor or set the Secondary screen only my PC hangs after using it for some times. But it works fine when I use the external...
  9. Second Monitor does not display on boot from Shutdown. Second monitor is only displayed on...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Second Monitor does not display on boot from Shutdown. Second monitor is only displayed on...: This just started happening recently after I updated Windows and my graphics driver. When I shutdown the computer and turn it back on, I am not able to see the display on my second monitor. But with only one monitor working, if I click restart, the computer reboots and now...
  10. second laptop for display monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    second laptop for display monitor: Won't detect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-laptop-for-display-monitor/744493e6-624f-456e-8663-0dfc47c6b535