Windows 10: Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

Discus and support Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by SergioRubio2, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those solutions didn't seem to work. I plugged in my HDMI cable into other things, like my Xbox, for example, and the monitor would display the Xbox's display. I have even connected it to my MacBook Air and it seemed to work completely fine. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

:)

SergioRubio2, Mar 10, 2022
  2. LemP Win User

connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

3. delpi767 Win User
    No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

delpi767, Mar 10, 2022
  4. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Mar 10, 2022
Thema:

Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

1. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor - Similar Threads - Laptop screen displaying

2. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  3. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  4. External Display issue. laptop + 3 monitors wont display all screens.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Display issue. laptop + 3 monitors wont display all screens.: Hello, So I want to set up my Hp elitebook laptop with 3 external monitors using a HP Hub HP USB-C Dock G5 which has 2 DP ports and 1 HDMI port. Laptop has one HDMI input and 2 USB C's. When I connect all 3 monitors using a hub, only 2 monitors are recognized. 2 monitors +...
  5. External Display issue. laptop + 3 monitors wont display all screens.

External Display issue. laptop + 3 monitors wont display all screens.: Hello, So I want to set up my Hp elitebook laptop with 3 external monitors using a HP Hub HP USB-C Dock G5 which has 2 DP ports and 1 HDMI port. Laptop has one HDMI input and 2 USB C's. When I connect all 3 monitors using a hub, only 2 monitors are recognized. 2 monitors +...
  6. External Display issue. laptop + 3 monitors wont display all screens.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor: Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried changing out monitors and hdmi cables, reinstalling video drivers, etc. My laptop still detects the monitor and says it is...
  8. Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor

Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor: I am so besides myself. I used my laptop with my 32inch TV as I usually do sometimes to watch movies and, I set the TV to automatically search for best display after choosing the highest resolution possible. The PC notified me that the resolution was too high or something. I...
  9. Displaying Different Apps on External Monitor and Laptop Display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Displaying Different Apps on External Monitor and Laptop Display: Hello All, I am a student and am trying out taking notes using a Bamboo Ink pen and OneNote on my Surface Book 2. I want to go all-digital with my notes, and this works perfectly during lectures, but I cannot do this while trying to read an eTextbook or watch a video and...
  10. No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank: After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update. I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one...