Windows 10: Laptop screen stays black after sleep

Discus and support Laptop screen stays black after sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an HP Envy x360 2-in-1 laptop that's about 2 years old now. Over the past few weeks I've had an odd problem where frequently after it goes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by philnolan3d, May 16, 2020.

1. Laptop screen stays black after sleep

I have an HP Envy x360 2-in-1 laptop that's about 2 years old now. Over the past few weeks I've had an odd problem where frequently after it goes to sleep I'll wake it up and it seems to come awake but the screen stays black. I can see the power light comes on, the fan spins up as usual, and the button to turn my keyboard lights on works fine. The only way to get my screen on is to hold the power button and manually restart, which of course means I lose whatever work I don't have saved.

I have tried updating my BIOS and other updates in the HP Support Assistant, I regularly keep my Intel graphics drivers updated as well as Windows Update. After the last BIOS update there was a Graphics driver update and I noticed it said "this may overwrite drivers provided by your PC maker" so I decided to NOT update it. The problem still happens. I also tried some power settings I saw on a YouTube video about the problem. No luck.

Any suggestions?

Windows version: 1909

:)

philnolan3d, May 16, 2020

2. Laptop Screen Stays Black after Sleep Mode

Hi Danielle,

Improper power plan settings or a possible fault on the display driver after the recent update can cause your screen to stay black when waking from sleep mode. As an initial step to prevent this from happening, we suggest that you restore the power plan
    settings to default. To do this, follow these steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the search box. From the search result, right-click on
      Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste or type in the command below:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to finish.

Note:
      This option will delete all custom power plans and restore the built in power plan settings of your device.

In the event that you encounter the same issue after restoring the power plan settings, ensure that your device display driver is updated. You can follow the steps provided on this

link
    on how to update your drivers and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, May 16, 2020
  3. Laptop Screen Stays Black after Sleep Mode

After the recent Windows 10 update my computer screen stays black after I try to take it out of sleep mode. For example, I will shut my laptop and it will go to sleep and when I come back an hour or so later and open the top to turn it back on the screen
    stays black but the computer is awake. I have to hold the power button down to shut it down then restart the computer to get the screen back up. I have seen some older post about this issue, but didn't know if this is something different and related to the
    recent update for Windows 10. I haven't had any problems with this until now. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it.

DanielleRW, May 16, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Laptop screen stays black after sleep

Laptop screen stays off after sleep.

Hi David,

Conflicts with the power plan settings or a corrupted display driver can cause your screen to stay black when waking from sleep mode. As an initial step to prevent this from happening, we suggest that you restore the power plan settings to default. To do
    this, follow these steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the search box. From the search result, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste or type in the command below:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to finish.

Note: This option will delete all custom power plans and restore the built in power plan settings of your device.

In the event that you encounter the same issue after restoring the power plan settings, ensure that your device display driver is updated. You can follow the steps provided on this

link
    on how to update your drivers and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can update us with the results.

Eric Ber, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Laptop screen stays black after sleep

1. Laptop screen stays black after sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop screen stays

2. My laptop stays in black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop stays in black screen: I accidentally turned off my laptop only by closing it and now when i turn it on it only stays in black screen i restarted it many times but nothing worked after couple off times it brought me to the blue windows page and i hit automatically find problems but it just only...
  3. My laptop stays in black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop stays in black screen: I accidentally turned off my laptop only by closing it and now when i turn it on it only stays in black screen i restarted it many times but nothing worked after couple off times it brought me to the blue windows page and i hit automatically find problems but it just only...
  4. Black screen after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after sleep: Hi, I have Windows 10 in a Samsung Book E30. Sometimes, with no clear pattern, after I put the system to "sleep" or close the notebook and then try to use it again, the screen wont turn on. I know that the notebook is on by the small blue light and the noise of the fan...
  5. Black screen after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after sleep: Hi, I have Windows 10 in a Samsung Book E30. Sometimes, with no clear pattern, after I put the system to "sleep" or close the notebook and then try to use it again, the screen wont turn on. I know that the notebook is on by the small blue light and the noise of the fan...
  6. Black screen after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Black screen after opening laptop screen from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after opening laptop screen from sleep: I have a Lenovo ideapad 330S and I have been running into an issue lately. After I open my laptop screen from sleep, sometimes, the screen will go black with no cursor. My power button is lit up as well as my backlit keys. This also happens sometimes when I shut down my...
  8. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode: Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard but nothing works. I have to do a force shutoff in order to get the screen working again. All of the windows updates are...
  9. Laptop screen black after turning on from Sleep

Laptop screen black after turning on from Sleep: Whenever I wake up my laptop from going into sleep mode, the screen just stays black. The fans turn on when I press the enter button to wake it, but the screen still stays black. Then I have to hold down the power button to force power it off, then turn it back on again....
  10. Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep

Screen stays black after opening lid/sleep: My Dell Inspiron is set to sleep when the lid is closed. When I open the lid, the keys light up, and the power button lights up, but the screen stays black and I have to hold the power button to shut the computer down and turn it back on. The computer is up to date with all...