Windows 10: Laptop screen turns black and stops responding after AFK

Discus and support Laptop screen turns black and stops responding after AFK in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought my laptop (Lenovo Flex 5 14) in Jan 2018. Initially used it for several months without any hiccups. Starting in Oct 2019, shortly after a big... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bxtenner, Nov 12, 2019.

1. bxtenner Win User

Laptop screen turns black and stops responding after AFK

I bought my laptop (Lenovo Flex 5 14) in Jan 2018. Initially used it for several months without any hiccups. Starting in Oct 2019, shortly after a big Windows update (Google says version 1809 was released 02Oct2018), I started noticing that after walking back to my computer after a few minutes of being away (to the kitchen/bathroom) for a few short minutes, the screen would be completely black and it would not respond to any keyboard input but keyboard lights would remain on. This would happen unpredictably, sometimes when I return the laptop would be functioning, sometimes not. If I were to leave for an extended amount of time while leaving the laptop on, it was pretty much guaranteed that this would happen and also the fans would be spinning loudly and the laptop body would feel hot to the touch. The only thing I could after these cases is to hold down power button for a hard reset, after which the laptop would run normally without any issue (but I would lose all my previous work and open programs). I do notice it occurs more frequently and also with shorter away time when on battery vs when the laptop is plugged in. And this appears to have increased in frequency over the
    past year.

My suspicion is that it is related to Windows driver as this started happening after the big Oct 2018 update. I tried to do a clean Windows install in January and initially this problem did not reappear until I installed the appropriate display driver (I could not stand not being able to adjust brightness). I did another clean install this summer (currently running Version 1903) but this issue just keep happening.

This is now driving me insane. Please help me resolve this. Sorry, I wasn't too sure which subforum this post belonged in.

:)

bxtenner, Nov 12, 2019
  2. Virus-j Win User

Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, Nov 12, 2019
  3. Laptop screen is turning black randomly

On July from last year, I bought a new Lenovo laptop. About 4 months later, my laptop screen turned black for the first time while the laptop was still running. It stopped responding and I did not find another way to turn it back on except to force shutdown
    the laptop. Now, the screen of my computer is turning off more often than before and the only way to turn it back on is to force shutdown. Is there a way to stop this or is it a hardware malfunction? It almost never happens when I am home, but at school, if
    I use my laptop for half an hour, the screen will turn off randomly. Please help me fix this issue because its getting quite annoying, especially when I'm working in school.

DavidJarufe, Nov 12, 2019
  4. Kusimeka Win User

Laptop Black Screening!

Hi guys, i've now found out what the error is. It's my nvidia display driver crashing/not responding, that's whats causes my laptop to black screen and not respond. Now i have no idea why it's doing this, is it cause of a faulty graphics card in my laptop? Can anyone help?

Thanks

Kusimeka, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop screen turns black and stops responding after AFK - Similar Threads - Laptop screen turns

2. Laptop turns on, but the screen is black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turns on, but the screen is black: So recently I had an issue with my computer and I figured it was one of the ram slots that was broken, and just am running with single channel memory for. Now, and it worked up until yesterday.The computer booted on and then took forever on the asus loading screen, but then...
  3. Black screen after turning the laptop on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after turning the laptop on: Hi, i was just cleaning my dirty laptop fans, everything seemed fine, even checked if its working by turning on the laptop before puting the back cover on, turned laptop off again and puted on the back cover. When I turned the laptop on after 10mins its only showing black...
  4. Black screen after turning the laptop on

Black screen after turning the laptop on: Hi, i was just cleaning my dirty laptop fans, everything seemed fine, even checked if its working by turning on the laptop before puting the back cover on, turned laptop off again and puted on the back cover. When I turned the laptop on after 10mins its only showing black...
  5. Black screen after turning on my laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Black screen after turning on my laptop: I saw it there that some people have the same issue with their laptop screen so basically since I am not English, I will copy one of their questions and update it with my info. So this is the problem:,, Upon turning on my Asus laptop, the screen turns black and then these...
  6. Black screen after turning on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after turning on my laptop: I saw it there that some people have the same issue with their laptop screen so basically since I am not English, I will copy one of their questions and update it with my info. So this is the problem:,, Upon turning on my Asus laptop, the screen turns black and then these...
  7. Black screen after turning on my laptop

8. Blank screen after afk with autoclicker.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blank screen after afk with autoclicker.: I left my laptop on overnight with an autoclicker set to 50 milliseconds, when I woke up the next day black squares and rectangles were on the screen and later the black shapes turned into a blank black screen even when I tryed to restart the laptop the same screen showed up....
  9. Black screen after turning the laptop on.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen after turning the laptop on.: So i used my laptop normally and i closed it and it went into sleep mode.After that it randomly turned on and i opened it and saw the screen is black and i closed it again and it turned off.Now when i try to turn it on its just a black screen the fans are on and everything...
  10. Laptop screen turns black

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Laptop screen turns black: My HP laptop Windows 10 while turning on displays a weird "Windows sign in" written screen instead of Set Lockscreen wallpaper, also when i try to enter password through keyboard the screens suddenly turns black with brightness and capslock being working, Can anyone help me...