Windows 10: Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

Discus and support Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop recognises USB drives OK, but it won't recognise an SD flash card inserted via an adaptor into the same USB slot. My PC will recognise both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by autolycus10, May 4, 2021.

1. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

My laptop recognises USB drives OK, but it won't recognise an SD flash card inserted via an adaptor into the same USB slot. My PC will recognise both and it's also running Win10. Anyone got any ideas, please? Thanks. My laptop is running 10.0.19041 Build 19041 MY PC is running 10.0.19042 Build 19042

:)

autolycus10, May 4, 2021

2. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

My laptop recognises USB drives OK, but it won't recognise an SD flash card inserted via an adaptor into the same USB slot. My PC will recognise both and it's also running Win10.
    Anyone got any ideas, please?

Thanks.

My laptop is running 10.0.19041 Build 19041
    MY PC is running 10.0.19042 Build 19042

autolycus10, May 5, 2021
  3. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

Thanks for the reply. There are in fact two USB ports on the laptop, neither of which works, and three on the front of the PC, all of which work. It's not really worth getting a new adapter because i seldom need to read an SD card on the laptop and i can always read it on to my PC and transfer the data using a normal USB drive. But i appreciate the suggestions.

autolycus10, May 5, 2021
  4. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

The USB ports started failing intermittently again and then permanently.

Reinstalled 1703 again and that fixed it for a while then they started failing again.

When I plug in any peripheral it shows up in device manager with the exclamation mark.

I right-click 'update driver'
    Choose 'browse my computer...'
    'Let me pick from a list of...'
    Select the best candidate

Then the device will work. Until it is unplugged and plugged in again...

Then we are back to square one for that device.

Are there any suggestions for kicking the USB hub back to life so it recognises ordinary USB devices like mouses and keyboards without a manual driver update?

mojorising, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device

1. Laptop selectively failing to recognise USB device - Similar Threads - Laptop selectively failing

2. USB device not recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB device not recognised: Hello All,Just suddently, my desktop has this kind of issue which it will occassionally pop up an error message saying "USB device not recognised", even though I removed all of my external USB devices, such as mouse and keyboard.However, my desktop is still working fine...
  3. USB device not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB device not recognised: Hello All,Just suddently, my desktop has this kind of issue which it will occassionally pop up an error message saying "USB device not recognised", even though I removed all of my external USB devices, such as mouse and keyboard.However, my desktop is still working fine...
  4. USB Device Not Recognised / Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Device Not Recognised / Device Descriptor Request Failed: I just purchased a new Ideapad and everything was working fine. Then one day the mouse adapter connected to one of my USB ports started malfunctioning ON and OFF. Post that incident none of my USB Devices Flash Drives, Smartphone, External HD are recognized by the port. The...
  5. USB Device Not Recognised / Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Device Not Recognised / Device Descriptor Request Failed: I just purchased a new Ideapad and everything was working fine. Then one day the mouse adapter connected to one of my USB ports started malfunctioning ON and OFF. Post that incident none of my USB Devices Flash Drives, Smartphone, External HD are recognized by the port. The...
  6. USB Device Not Recognised / Device Descriptor Request Failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. usb device not recognised

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    usb device not recognised: hi my laptop keeps beeping and its telling me the last usb i plugged in malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognise it so i should try and plug it in again however i dont have the usb anymore....
  8. usb device not recognised

usb device not recognised: My usb memory stick has stopped working, I get the following message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. Code 43 A request for the USB device descriptor failed." Any ideas how I might recover the data from the device?...
  9. USB Device Not Recognised

USB Device Not Recognised: [ATTACH] I keep getting this showing up when this USB works on other computers, just not the computer I need to use it on! the advice from 2015 of; Method 1: Run the Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices. Hardware troubleshooter reviews, diagnose and identifies operational...
  10. USB Device Not Recognised

USB Device Not Recognised: Hi, About a month ago, I received a notification on Windows that my "USB device is not recognised" immediately after my mouse stopped responding to my inputs. I tried unplugging and replugging the connector on the only USB device plugged in, my wireless mouse. It worked the...