Windows 10: Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time

Discus and support Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Dear All, My laptop (Windows 10), without any obvious reason, shuts down rather than going to sleep or hibernation mode after remaining idle for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Helena A. Varvayannis, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time

Dear All,

My laptop (Windows 10), without any obvious reason, shuts down rather than going to sleep or hibernation mode after remaining idle for some time. And that, without the battery being in critical status.

I would much appreciate your help with the above problem.

Thanking you in advance,

Best regards,

Helena

:)

Helena A. Varvayannis, Oct 23, 2019

2. Laptop won' t shutdown (or restart) and sleep [takes forever]

The situation:

• When shutting down, the laptop proceeds as normal until the screen turns off.
    • After the screen turns off, it takes a while for the battery LED to go off.
    • After that the power led remains on and it looks like the laptop is stuck in this state forever.
    • When I try to get my laptop to sleep, something similar happens; the power led remains on, the battery led turns off and the laptop appears to be stuck in this state.
    My laptop is: Asus FX553VD.

What I've tried:

• I have tried to troubleshoot power management and power options.
    • Tried clean boot.
    • Updated the BIOS.
    • Reinstalled windows and tried shutdown and sleep (without installing the drivers and stuff), however that didn't work either.

Additional Info:

• I have multiple operating systems installed in my laptop, however this problem persists on windows only (the OSes are installed on different drives).
    • The disk usage is abnormally high.
    • There are spikes in CPU usage that kick up the fan really fast while idle.

Please suggest other ideas as to what I should do?

[It appears that the only option I have left is to reinstall everything]

10gic-80m8, Oct 23, 2019
  3. Jonas Flo Win User
    Bluetooth still on while idle

Thanks for following the steps. Now, the settings won't take effect if you are only using normal PC idle mode. Normal functionality of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi settings are to stay connected even if PC is idle. With the settings that you have created, we would
    suggest that you set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or
    Hibernate
    once idle. In this way, the settings "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should take effect.

To set your PC to automatically go to Sleep or Hibernate when idle, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel, set view by: Small
      icons.
    • Look for Power Options.
    • Click on Change when the computer sleeps on the left pane.
    • Set a timer.

Please try it out. Hope it helps. If you have any other concerns, don't hesitate to come back to us.

Jonas Flo, Oct 23, 2019
  4. Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time

Computer shuts down instead of going in to sleep mode

Since two weeks my Dell laptop is shutting down every time when:

• Closing the laptop
    • Pressing the power button short
    • Manually via the Start Menu
    All these options are set to Sleep Mode and not Shut Down.

EgonMeijers, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time

1. Laptop shuts down rather than sleeps when it remains idle for some time - Similar Threads - Laptop shuts down

2. Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.: Recently I reset the laptop in recovery and then a few days after the reset, I suddenly encountered a problem. While my laptop was sleeping, it suddenly shut down. Let's say that I left it idle and then when it went to sleep on its own after pressing the buttons to turn it on...
  3. Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatically shut down after the laptop getting sleep when idle.: Recently I reset the laptop in recovery and then a few days after the reset, I suddenly encountered a problem. While my laptop was sleeping, it suddenly shut down. Let's say that I left it idle and then when it went to sleep on its own after pressing the buttons to turn it on...
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  5. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle: Hello,I'm asking a question because I tried all the methods I found here.I'm trying to fix a problem on an Asus k551ln that shuts down instead of going to sleep when let idle. I tried a lot of methods running troubleshooting, reinstalling fully clean windows, powercfg...
  6. Laptop shuts down instead of sleep when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. laptop shuts down when put in sleep

laptop shuts down when put in sleep: this started after dell put on bios update and windows updates. Dell does not respond. is there something you can help me with? Could this be a windows power issue? HELP...
  8. Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep

Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep: So every time my Asus laptop goes to sleep, it shuts down, no matter how little time it is in sleep mode. I have checked the settings available for power and battery and there is nothing that helps in solving this problem. I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest version...
  9. why does quick scan "time remaining" move up rather than down

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    why does quick scan "time remaining" move up rather than down: why does quick scan "time remaining" show on my monitor as moving up not down? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/why-does-quick-scan-time-remaining-move-up-rather/d6305e9d-5729-4d37-ab01-7e4a7cbe6218
  10. Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid

Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid: hello, I have very annoying things happening with windows 10. One of the latest is that my laptop goes to sleep when closing the lid. The problem is that my power settings are set to "Do nothing" for closing lid and practically all settings regarding sleep - hibernate - shut...