Windows 10: Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep

Discus and support Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I close the lid of my laptop, I have set it to go to sleep and it wakes up when I open the lid. This usually works. But sometimes, when I open the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AchintAgrawal, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep

When I close the lid of my laptop, I have set it to go to sleep and it wakes up when I open the lid. This usually works. But sometimes, when I open the lid, the screen remains off. I press any key on the keyboard and the keyboard lights up but the screen does not. After waiting for a minute or two, the laptop shuts down and restarts and all the unsaved work I had done is lost.

:)

AchintAgrawal, Oct 17, 2020
  2. ilgoldman Win User

Random shut down and restart??

Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual cpu
    E220@2.406hz
    2.42 GHZ, 2.00 GB of RAM
    Windows xp

Ever since I replaced the fan (with heat sink) the computer has randomly shut down and then restarted, at first during streaming, and now, will shut down and restart anytime. I tried to replace the graphics card to no avail. *Confused Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep :confused:*Mad Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep :mad:

One suggestion was to replace the RAM.

Any suggestions on how to repair my computer?

ilgoldman, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Restarting laptop from sleep mode.

When i click on the power button, sleep, shut down and restart is listed. Hibernation is not an option. How do i activate the Hibernation option?

Floyd Mallory, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Cake5 Win User

Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep

Laptop restarts when i try to shut down

What methods have you used to shut it down? The usual ways are to open Start, click the power icon and then choose Shut Down. Alternatively you can go onto the desktop and press Alt+F4 to open the shut down/restart dialog. Third,
    type "shut down" into the Start search and click the "shut down" entry.

Also see
    this forum post
    from 2015. Microsoft staff member answer below copied from linked:

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then try to shut down.

Method 2:

I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 3:

If the above method doesn’t help, I suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back to their default settings. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Method 4: Clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are

causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot"
    in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you

Ravindra R Kamath

Microsoft Community

Cake5, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep

1. Laptop shuts downand restarts sometimes when put to sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop shuts downand

2. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode: For few weeks my windows 10 laptop cannot be put to sleep mode. When I close the lid or simply click on the sleep from the start menu, it goes to sleep but when I move the mouse or press anything to wake the laptop up again, it suddenly restarts itself. I have checked the...
  3. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode: For few weeks my windows 10 laptop cannot be put to sleep mode. When I close the lid or simply click on the sleep from the start menu, it goes to sleep but when I move the mouse or press anything to wake the laptop up again, it suddenly restarts itself. I have checked the...
  4. Laptop restarts when put to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. laptop restart when I put laptop in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop restart when I put laptop in sleep mode: hi everyone I am having issue with my laptop recently when I put it in sleep mode its do not turn on normally it show your pc ran into a problem window and then restart , I tried some troubleshooting steps like hard reset windows , upgrade window to 11 first I face issue in...
  6. laptop shuts down when put in sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop shuts down when put in sleep: this started after dell put on bios update and windows updates. Dell does not respond. is there something you can help me with? Could this be a windows power issue? HELP...
  7. Laptop restarts when I put it to 'sleep' mode

Laptop restarts when I put it to 'sleep' mode: Hi All! Just bought a brand new HP envy 15 2020 edition. On the 2nd day it was updating windows and bios and then i noticed that my laptop restarts whenever i put it to sleep. To be precise, this is what happens step by step: 1. I put the laptop to sleep 2. It goes to...
  8. Laptop restarts when put to sleep, shut down, or put into hibernate after Windows 1903 update

Laptop restarts when put to sleep, shut down, or put into hibernate after Windows 1903 update: My Dell XPS 9570 will automatically restart without being prompted to when I select any of the power options (sleep, shut down, hibernate, restart). It appears to execute whatever command I have selected, and then continue to restart within about 30 seconds of being put to...
  9. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...
  10. Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop shuts down when put into sleep mode: Hi all first time poster, So I'm having a major problem that I can't seem to fix. When I close the lid of my laptop, put it into sleep mode, or put it into hibernation mode, the laptop basically shuts down. The power light flashes on and off, but when I reopen the lid or...