Windows 10: laptop sleeping

Discus and support laptop sleeping in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was wondering how to keep my laptop from going to sleep when it's plugged in. I have all the settings set to "never" but it still goes to sleep after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbabwe, Jan 14, 2016.

1. jimbabwe Win User

laptop sleeping

I was wondering how to keep my laptop from going to sleep when it's plugged in. I have all the settings set to "never" but it still goes to sleep after ten-fifteen minutes. Anyone know how to change this?
    For what it's worth, it's a Dell laptop

:)

jimbabwe, Jan 14, 2016

2. Powercfg /sleepstudy report shows "Unknown [NONE]" appid which consumes more power

hi SundarPR

I see Unknown appid exactly when my laptop automatically return from sleep(sometimes is connected to charger and sometimes isn't ). every time laptop return auto from sleep , I see this Unknown appid in sleep study but if I manual return laptop
    from sleep , sleep study didn't show me Unknown appid .

my laptop is asus ux501vw

thanks

Mohsen20247, Jan 14, 2016
  3. sleep problem

this setting for activate sleep mode. my laptop is going on sleep, but after some time laptop turn on automaticay

ENGRMUBASHARAHMAD, Jan 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

laptop sleeping

Hi, are you sure it's going to sleep, and not just a blank screensaver? Some have encountered that.

If it is going to sleep, a temporary fix is to install 'Don't sleep' (freeware) and run it, while finding a solution. Plenty of sleep related issues have been reported, so worth searching the forum- there are many sleep-related threads.

dalchina, Jan 14, 2016
  5. jimbabwe Win User
    that was a good thought, but no, it is going to lock screen and requiring a password to open up - there is an option for this in the screen saver but all of that is turned off. The reason that it is such a bother is that I use it to display documents on a projector and halfway through the presentation it goes to lock screen.

jimbabwe, Jan 14, 2016
  6. jimbabwe Win User
    and the screensaver is set to "none"

jimbabwe, Jan 14, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    That freeware should give you an instant fix, as you've reviewed all options in
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

(from 'Additional power settings' in Settings, System, Power & Sleep)
    Suggest reviewing:

laptop sleeping [​IMG]

laptop sleeping [​IMG]

dalchina, Jan 14, 2016
  8. jimbabwe Win User

laptop sleeping

I was hoping to fix it in windows because don't sleep doesn't seem to differentiate between plugged in and not plugged in mode, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

jimbabwe, Jan 14, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi. You could try running the system file checker to make sure everything is okay with Windows system files. Open an admin command prompt and enter Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] - we're looking for no integrity violations found. If it comes back with problems that could not be fixed, please run it at least 3 times, rebooting in-between.

simrick, Jan 15, 2016
  10. jimbabwe Win User
    - we're looking for no integrity violations found. If it comes back with problems that could not be fixed, please run it at least 3 times, rebooting in-between.[/quote] Okay so the scan came back clean... Man this is frustrating.

jimbabwe, Jan 15, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Sure is! *Confused Are you on the latest version?
    Type winver in the search box and run the command. It should be Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63)

EDIT: Can you turn off Fast Startup and give the system a few shutdowns/startups (not restarts), and see if that makes the settings stick?

simrick, Jan 15, 2016
  12. jimbabwe Win User
    okay, I've got version 10.0 build 10240 but windows has no update. I should mention that this is a work machine and the IT guys (who are scratching their heads on this problem) may have altered the updater.

jimbabwe, Jan 15, 2016
  13. simrick Win User

laptop sleeping

You could try updating to the latest version, to see if that helps -- if you're allowed to do that on your work computer. You can download the ISO from MS TechBench, right-click to "mount", and run it from within the W10 OS, by double-clicking setup.exe. Um, but this won't work for Enterprise edition-that's a whole different animal, I think.

simrick, Jan 15, 2016
  14. sn00ker Win User
    Have you try to do a clean boot, it might be a third party software the cause

sn00ker, Jan 15, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, it may help to track what's causing your PC to sleep if you look in the event log for
    event ID 42 in System log from source Kernel-Power = sleep

event ID 1 in System log from source Power-Troubleshooter for resume
    which are respectively the last and first logs entries upon sleeping/waking up

dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
Thema:

laptop sleeping

1. laptop sleeping - Similar Threads - laptop sleeping

2. Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?: Good day.My ASUS laptop used to shut down after a specific period I don't know it exactly and i used to either leave the lid open or closed and it would shut down after being is sleep for too long. However now, it is not doing so and leaving my laptop on sleep overnight will...
  3. Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my laptop no longer shutdown after an extended period of sleeping?: Good day.My ASUS laptop used to shut down after a specific period I don't know it exactly and i used to either leave the lid open or closed and it would shut down after being is sleep for too long. However now, it is not doing so and leaving my laptop on sleep overnight will...
  4. Laptop Sleep Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  5. Laptop Sleep Issue

Laptop Sleep Issue: Hi. I have to following issue: Sometimes, after my laptop goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up to continue working, it freezes – The screen becomes all dark and it does not respond so that I am forced to restart my computer. How can I fix that?My laptop specs are:...
  6. Laptop keeps getting BSOD when waking up from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps getting BSOD when waking up from sleep mode: Laptop always get BSOD when waking up from screen mode. This could if I manual put it to sleep and wait awhile or leave for a long time and come back. Event viewer shows this every time it reboots:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  7. Laptop keeps getting BSOD when waking up from sleep mode

Laptop keeps getting BSOD when waking up from sleep mode: Laptop always get BSOD when waking up from screen mode. This could if I manual put it to sleep and wait awhile or leave for a long time and come back. Event viewer shows this every time it reboots:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000019c...
  8. My laptop automatically restarts after my screen turns off, or my device goes to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop automatically restarts after my screen turns off, or my device goes to sleep.: It happens every time when I leave my laptop idle for a while. After checking event viewer I can see an error regarding it "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power...
  9. My laptop automatically restarts after my screen turns off, or my device goes to sleep.

My laptop automatically restarts after my screen turns off, or my device goes to sleep.: It happens every time when I leave my laptop idle for a while. After checking event viewer I can see an error regarding it "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power...
  10. Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can you track a stolen laptop with location turned off in sleep mode?: My laptop got stolen. Location is turned off. But it's in sleep mode. Can I track it in any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-you-track-a-stolen-laptop-with-location-turned/7a63d5c0-4c0e-4ada-98d3-fec286407b8d