Windows 10: Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

Discus and support Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My Lenovo E580, Windows 10. Last couple of months a problem. When the lid closes the laptop goes into sleep/hibernate and refuses to wake up. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by LorraineJoubert, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

My Lenovo E580, Windows 10.

Last couple of months a problem.

When the lid closes the laptop goes into sleep/hibernate and refuses to wake up. I need to put it off to work again.

My power plan is set to "never" - for monitor also and the settings are to "do nothing" when closing the lid

It is set to "easy resume" on Lenovo Vantage.

Sometimes it does not go "off" if only for seconds, but sometimes it goes "off" within seconds of closing it.

This is highly frustrating!!!!

:)

LorraineJoubert, Mar 28, 2020

2. Laptop not sleeping when lid is closed and plugged in

Thank you for your help

Unfortunately this has not helped but I have made some interesting observations for the past 2 weeks

My laptop still has this problem in both sleeping and hibernating

It won't sleep or hibernate fully when I press the buttons in the start menu which forces me to hard shut down my laptop

But closing the lid with a small amount of force allows the laptop to sleep

And when I boot it up in safe mode closing the lid hibernates the laptop

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Ju Yeol Youn, Mar 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Mar 28, 2020
  4. Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

Laptop goes into hibernation when I close the lid, even though it's set to sleep.

I have an HP laptop running Windows 10. Recently, whenever I close the lid, it goes into hibernation even though my power settings has it set to sleep. I tried changing the settings to hibernation then changing them back to sleep, and that worked once, but
    then it went back to hibernation. Rebooting hasn't helped either. What could be causing this?

Chess Pargeter, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing"

1. Laptop sleeps/hibernate when lid closes, even when settings is "do nothing" - Similar Threads - Laptop sleeps hibernate

2. Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop doesn't sleep when lid is closed.: I am on Windows 10 HP laptop and when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep or turn off the screen.I have the "When I close the lid" in system settings set to sleep on battery and sleep plugged in. It doesn't work though....
  3. Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop does not sleep when lid is closed: Previously, whenever I used close the lid of my laptop, it used to go to sleep. I have even tried to change the settings but still nothing changes.Edition Windows 11 Home Insider Preview Version Dev Installed on ‎ 31/‎10/‎2021 OS build 22489.1000 Experience Windows Feature...
  4. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  5. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.: Greetings,I am using an external monitor with my laptop and have set windows to use only external monitor as a display. Therefore I have my laptop lid closed. I have set in power settings to do nothing when I close the lid both in battery usage and power adapter...
  6. Laptop with closed lid randomly goes to sleep even when I have set it to do nothing.

7. Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will not go to sleep when closing the lid.: [ATTACH] Hey guys, hoping someone can help me here. My school issued laptop will not go to sleep when i close the "lid". It will only sleep if I click the start button and select sleep, which is fine, however; sometimes I just close it up out of habit, and when I come back...
  8. ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...: My work ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting" set to "Do Nothing". I am using external monitor and I want to be able to just keep the laptop lid closed. What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  9. Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid

Laptop shuts down when in hibernation or closing lid: About a week ago my laptop had a change or hard drive. When I got it back, the screen went blank after being put on sleep mode, but I still could see and use the mouse. I rolled back the display driver and now it won’t project image through hdmi, and whenever I put it on...
  10. Do nothing when the lid is closed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do nothing when the lid is closed: I have an laptop with a tv as an monitor. My question is, Can i perform an feature update, with the power option do nothing when the lid is closed? Or do i have to keep the lid open all the time...