Windows 10: Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings

Discus and support Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello - When my laptop display turns off after the number of minutes set in "When plugged in, turn off after" the computer goes to sleep even though... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by EC_1998, Feb 12, 2021.

1. EC_1998 Win User

Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings

Hello -

When my laptop display turns off after the number of minutes set in "When plugged in, turn off after" the computer goes to sleep even though it's not set to do so. It does not seem to matter what value is set for "When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after", the computer seems to ignore this and goes into sleep mode whenever the display turns off. This happens on both AC and battery power.

Searching shows a lot of people have this issue but none of the solutions proposed seem to help. Anyone have this issue and find a solution?

I've tried

• Resetting the power plan to default, which resets the values to their defaults but the computer still sleeps when the display turns off
    • Running the power Troubleshooter - I get messages saying "Time before computer goes to sleep is too long" and fixes them. All this seems to do is change the time values in Power & sleep settings to their default values.
    • Disabled Fast Startup
    • Running SFC /scannow - no issues found
    • Ensured screensaver is set to none
    • Checking for latest versions of display and system drivers using Lenovo Vantage. All are fully updated.

This is really annoying because I need to download large files overnight. If the computer sleeps, the download is interrupted. If I set the display turn-off time to never the computer stays awake but the screen light makes it harder to sleep.

I have a Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 8 with Win 10 Pro 20H2.

:)

EC_1998, Feb 12, 2021

2. Display and sleep settings

Hi,

In order to help you with the issue about the display and sleep settings, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by MVP Andre Da Costa? If you did, what were the results?
    • For us to avoid redundancy of the troubleshooting process, what were the other steps you have done to resolve the issue?

We look forward to your next post.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Win 10 Display turns off after 2mins of idle regardless of power settings.

I am currently running a Asus G750J Laptop with windows 10 home 64-bit.

I have got every single power and sleep option set to "never / off". I have checked my bios settings too. With every single power mode option for display turn off or sleep set to never, my laptop is still continuously turning itself off after 2 minutes of inactivity.
    I can wake my laptop up by key stroke or moving the mouse. It is driving me mental because my wifi keeps disconnecting when it turns itself off / to sleep. My wifi has to identify to the network.

Daryl_lish, Feb 12, 2021
  4. Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings

Device goes to sleep, regardless of power settings

Hi,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

I would suggest you to run the System maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the steps:

a: Press the
    Windows key and click on Settings.

b: Type
    Troubleshooting and select
    troubleshooting.

c. Click
    View all on the left pane of the screen.

d: Click on
    System maintenance.

e: Click
    Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

I would also suggest you to run Power Troubleshooter and check if that helps. Here is the steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      troubleshoot.

• Select Troubleshooting and click on
      System and Security.

• Select Power and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Hope it helps. Let us know if you need further assistance and we'll be glad to help.

Navneet Anand, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings

1. Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings - Similar Threads - Laptop sleeps display

2. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  3. Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?: My settings are to turn off the display after a few minutes but to never put the laptop to sleep. However, every time I leave my laptop alone and the 'display' turns off, I have to login? I don't want to have to login every time my laptop screen dims! I just got a new laptop...
  4. Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?: My settings are to turn off the display after a few minutes but to never put the laptop to sleep. However, every time I leave my laptop alone and the 'display' turns off, I have to login? I don't want to have to login every time my laptop screen dims! I just got a new laptop...
  5. Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working: I have the Power & Sleep setting configured for 2 hours, but the screen never turns off. I recently restarted the computer. Would that have changed the Power & Sleep settings?TIA for your help.SweetTasha....
  6. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on: Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns...
  7. My PC turns off the display sooner that it set. POWER AND SLEEP

My PC turns off the display sooner that it set. POWER AND SLEEP: Good Day I have encountered a problem whereby the display turns itself before the time it is set to do so. When this problem first occurred, I thought it was a quick fix solution as Screen Timeout is not really a major problem. I have done research about this particular...
  8. Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.

Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.: Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off on any setting un plugged or plugged in but it still does and I cant leave my computer for more than 2 minutes without it turning off witch leaves me stuck trying to download something that...
  9. Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It...: Laptop Power Plan Set to NEVER Turn-off Display or Go Standby When on Extern Power But It Still Turns-off Display or Goes Into Standby. Why do SO many Windows 10 Updates precipitate NEW problems like this one - and recently LOSS User Accounts, Wireless Adaptor problems,...
  10. PC turns off when set to sleep

PC turns off when set to sleep: Running Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop. Every time I set my computer to go to sleep, the computer shuts down immediately instead. I have tried... Changing my default power options (set to sleep in all categories) Turning OFF fast startup (currently turned off) Changing...