Windows 10: Laptop sometimes shutting of or not charging battery

Discus and support Laptop sometimes shutting of or not charging battery in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a very odd problem with my laptop I don't know how to search for information about it. My laptop is an old Toshiba (+5 years) Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ai_Leen, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Ai_Leen Win User

Laptop sometimes shutting of or not charging battery

Hi,

I have a very odd problem with my laptop I don't know how to search for information about it.

My laptop is an old Toshiba (+5 years)

Win 10

Home x64

Intel core i5 2,50 GHz

8,00 Gb RAM

There are moments when playing a game on low performance, either The Sims 4 or TES IV: Oblivion o medium-high) that I can play fine, but at a given time, my battery says it's low and shuts itself down.

I thought it was a problem with my battery, at first. I had to change it a long time ago because my old battery didn't charge (I had 2 by then). My pc wouldn't start up with or without battery (or it would shut off after 5 secs), so I gave up and bought a new laptop (Asus).

After that, I started having a lot of problems with my newer computer (a very bad technician whose simply simply work was repairing some keys, then my screen failed, my charger didn't load, my mouse didn't move, I was irritated), I came back to this old Toshiba.

Suddenly, it started working again. I used it for storing stuff and the most basics. After I got fed up of my newer computer, I fully used this old Toshiba. Installed some games.

I noticed the problem started again gradually. The SYMPTOMS were, which I consider the most important:

* With battery, it would suddenly stop charging. I never pay attention to the lights so only when the low battery pops up, I'd try to unplug and plug the charger. Then the battery starts charging again.

* Without battery, my laptop simply shuts off. In order to turn it on, I have to unplug and plug again the charger.

* My newer laptop used an adaptor to use my old charger, and the problem was the same. I thought the problem was on the charger but I tried with a new charger and the problem persists.

* I've got 2 random blue screens from Windows 10.

Even though the problem solves temporally when unplugging and reconnecting the charger (only where the charger connects to the PC), I've already tried changing the battery and the charger. The problem still persists after that.

Now I've been like 30 minutes typing it and went to eat and it hasn't shut off or nothing. It seems it happens when using a game or when for instance opening ~30 tabs on my Explorer (I like to open all the ones I got interest in and close them one by one).

I was wondering whether anyone could guide me whether this problem is from hardware or software, a ghost or bad luck.

Thank you

:)

Ai_Leen, Feb 19, 2019

2. Windows 10, HP laptop battery "plugged in, not charging"

After installing Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion g6-2197sa laptop, I have had problems charging the battery. The battery icon reports something like "79% available (plugged in, not charging)."

I can, sometimes, temporarily fix this problem by following these steps:

1. Shut down
    2. Remove battery
    3. Boot up on AC power
    4. Uninstall the ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver
    5. Shut down
    6. Reinsert battery
    7. Reboot

However, I bought a new battery to see whether the issue lay with my original battery, and it worked fine for a while before it also succumbed to the issue. Now the new battery no longer charges even after repeating the above process. My original battery seems to charge temporarily after I repeat the above process.

I have further noticed that my AC light flashes continuously while plugged in, whether the laptop is on or off, which it never used to do.

Also, note that the battery never charges, now matter how low the available remaining power gets - my problem doesn't appear (to me) to be a feature designed to prolong battery life.

I would really like to fix this problem permanently but am completely stumped. Cheers!

Ninjakannon, Feb 19, 2019
  3. New battery not charging

I suggested uninstall, not re-install.

There's an extended version of those instructions - the same idea, but some additional steps.
    Shut down hte machine
    Remove the battery - run on AC power only
    Device Manager > Batteries
    Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
    Shut down the machine

Remove AC power
    Wait 1 minte
    Insert Battery
    Connect AC power
    Start the machine

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery should be reinstalled when the machine is booting

But, the .3 volts might be significant - I agree with Kbird

Slartybart, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Jessen P Win User

Laptop battery not charging

Hi Arvind,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

I suggest you to un-install and re-install battery drivers from Device manager and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Device Manager.
    • Expand Batteries and right click on Batteries ACPI and click on Un-install.
    • Restart the computer and check.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop sometimes shutting of or not charging battery - Similar Threads - Laptop sometimes shutting

2. Laptop Battery not Charging?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Battery not Charging?: Hi! I was wondering why my laptop battery displays 76% available plugged in. But the issue is that I don't think it's charging very well. Once the battery had reached 76%, it began to charge very slow. Sometimes it happens around 70% to 80% and stops charging. The display...
  3. Laptop battery is not charging fully

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop battery is not charging fully: The battery of my new laptop is charging to 93-95%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-is-not-charging-fully/16e83c54-4ebe-4670-9d06-0fa257cdb6a2
  4. Laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop battery not charging: After the recent update KB4532695 my laptop battery has stopped charging. when I connect the directly to the power supply it briefly shows its charging then a few seconds later it stop. now I have to work with the laptop when its constantly connected to the power supply....
  5. Laptop Battery charging limit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Laptop Battery charging limit: How do I turn on or activate the 80% battery charging limit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-charging-limit/237862c0-ddfc-4f21-8dcc-2117fc555fe2
  6. Battery charging on my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery charging on my laptop: I have an Asus vivo Pro laptop, and, yet AGAIN, after another windows update, I find myself looking for solutions for a battery net charging to 100 percent issue. Please Microsoft, stop screwing with my battery level settings or I will buy an Apple product. Windows 10 Sucks...
  7. Laptop battery not charging

Laptop battery not charging: My charging light is flashing. I have cleaned everything and plugged into a different sauce https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-not-charging/07956957-1800-4b6a-ae57-acf27c6b65ba
  8. laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop battery not charging: my laptop says the battery is not charging and will not power on just the battery. Im thinking its possibly a driver issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-not-charging/dca14bb2-6164-4a50-a166-96f46d395b24
  9. Laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop battery not charging: This is yet another issue I am experiencing after the 1809 fall update, nothing else in my system has been changed other than the installation of the 1809 fall update, so I am confident it's at the root of the problem. Let me first state I never use my battery, ever, and it...
  10. New Laptop Battery Not Charging

New Laptop Battery Not Charging: I have a Toshiba Satellite L550. The OEM battery was, at this point, eight years old and barely held a charge for more than 40 minutes if the AC adapter was unplugged. Went to a battery store today and got a replacement battery. I held my power button down while the AC was...