Windows 10: Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart.

Discus and support Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My speakers and microphone suddenly stopped working while i was in a zoom meeting. My system had been on for about 7 hours by the way. I tried testing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WinnieAnyaks, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart.

My speakers and microphone suddenly stopped working while i was in a zoom meeting. My system had been on for about 7 hours by the way. I tried testing them but the zoom app just wasn’t responding. I then tried playing videos on the laptop but they were not producing any sound. They were also sort of “cracking”. Not playing at the normal speed.
    Then i restarted the laptop and played a video. And it was playing just fine with the sound.
    do you think what happened earlier was because my system had been on for about 7 hours?

:)

WinnieAnyaks, Jan 24, 2021
  2. asus2016 Win User

Sound - speakers/headphones - stopped working on ASUS laptop

With no intervening "event" - no new hardware or software or drivers installed Following the installation of a Cisco VPN client, the sound stopped working on my ASUS laptop.

There is a red X over the speaker icon at the bottom right of the computer. Mousing over the icon, one sees "no speakers or headphones are plugged in."

The computer had Conexant audio, plus AMD hi-def audio (I don't have the computer with me now, so this could be an inexact listing).

First thing I tried was to update the drivers, but both were up to date. I then uninstalled the Conexant via the device manager and restarted. Upon restart, the red X was gone, but I was still not getting sound. I could adjust the sound properties by clicking on the speaker icon in the system tray, but there was still no sound.

I believe I tried this again, and upon restart, the Conexant was gone from Device Manager, leaving just the AMD hi-def. I tried changing the driver for this to the generic Windows hi-def audio driver, but that didn't work.

I tried just about every trick I could google up:

• Download next drivers from AMD/ASUS/Conexant's sites
    • Run sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt (everything was intact)
    • Restart the sound services, and make sure they were on automatic start
    • Seemingly a billion computer restarts
    • Many I can't remember now

None have worked. And again, Conexant had been the default audio, then disappeared (why?). Now when I go to my "Sound" from the control property, AMD hi-def is the only thing showing in the playback tab, and it says "not plugged in" with a red down arrow next to it. The system tray speaker icon has a red X over it and left-clicking on it launches troubleshooting, which (un)helpfully tells me the sound isn't plugged in, after "churning and churning" for minutes.

The optical drive is the only thing I'm comfortable "opening up" on a laptop! Is there a chance that MAYBE something somehow DID become unplugged internally?

The only "bag of tricks" angle I've not tried is a system restore to four days ago, before this condition started.

Ideas?

asus2016, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Marby Rey Win User

Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart.

Trouble with Sound on videos stopping?

Hi,

There are several factors that may cause this issue. To narrow down the concern, we’d like to ask a few questions.

• When did you start experiencing the issue?
    • Have you made any changes prior to this concern?
    • Are you getting an error message when the video stop playing?
    • Have you tried to clear cached and delete cookies?

For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this article:
    Fix sound problems.

Marby Rey, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart.

1. Laptop sound stopped working and started after restart. - Similar Threads - Laptop sound stopped

2. Laptop Not working after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Not working after restart: At first it was working then I just restarted my hp laptop then suddenly lights vertical lines appeared on screen and it turned off. Now just the power button, charging light and keyboard lights are blinking, but laptop is not starting...
  3. all sound on laptop stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all sound on laptop stops working.: so let me clarify how this happens, say I close the discord app, there is a chance for all audio to be cut off, close Microsoft edge and it happens again, and it isn't even if I close a window/app if I backtrack, there is a chance for all audio to be shut off, it is really...
  4. all sound on laptop stops working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all sound on laptop stops working.: so let me clarify how this happens, say I close the discord app, there is a chance for all audio to be cut off, close Microsoft edge and it happens again, and it isn't even if I close a window/app if I backtrack, there is a chance for all audio to be shut off, it is really...
  5. Laptop ethernet regularly stops working and worked again after restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop ethernet regularly stops working and worked again after restart: I have Lenovo laptop, I am using ethernet cable for it, connection is working for some time hours, but regularly stops working "no connection". After restart win10, connection is working again, So far, I have not found solution for this problem. Any hints?...
  6. External mouse and keyboard randomly stop working while using laptop. They start after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External mouse and keyboard randomly stop working while using laptop. They start after restart: submitted by /u/rumbasalsa4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g1u95f/external_mouse_and_keyboard_randomly_stop_working/
  7. Sound on my laptop stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound on my laptop stopped working: I fell asleep last night with my laptop turned on. When I woke up this morning, I found that the sound was not working. I don't know if I accidentally changed something to cause this problem. How do I try to get the sound on?...
  8. HP laptop sound stopped working after the updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HP laptop sound stopped working after the updates: After I down loaded latest updates, the audio stopped working and history of the update showed "failed to install - 0x800705b4 (Realtek Semicoductor Corp - Media. What I should do to resolve this problem...
  9. Sound not working on start up have to restart to get sound working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound not working on start up have to restart to get sound working: Hi all Windows 10 on Compaq CQ58 when laptop first powered up sound does not work, we have to use restart to get sound working, any one know what is causing this and how to fix it cheers 96915
  10. Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working: Now, for some odd reason, on my computer, the sound, start menu and cortana stopped working and I can't even get past the sign in menu without it telling me to sign out so they can "fix" this problem which I've done 3 times now so I have no clue if I screwed up this computer...