Windows 10: Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired"

Discus and support Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This Dell Precision 5510 was purchased 5 years ago and I added a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD following Kari's excellent tutorial to put Users folder on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TJR, May 6, 2021.

1. TJR
    TJR Win User

Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired"

This Dell Precision 5510 was purchased 5 years ago and I added a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD following Kari's excellent tutorial to put Users folder on 1TB HDD. Also was configured to dual boot when upgraded from W7 to W10 Pro 64. No problems until last week when startup failed to a blue screen "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired". (I am still able to boot into W7.) I created a bootable repair USB with Rufus and got "...cannot be repaired..." message. Searched TenForums for similar situations and attempted the following diagnostics/repairs: earlier restore point (none found), sfc /scannow /offbootdir etc (Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation), backed up BCD and used Macrium Reflect to repair boot (error 0xc000000e), chkdsk (no problems found), DISM /image.../cleanup-image /revertpendingactions (error 3, DISM & CBS logs attached), created scratch directory, BCD -s -h -r ren...etc... bootrec /rebuildbcd (nothing changed), tried DISM with /checkhealth (error 2, component store cannot be repaired), ran DISM with source pointed to USB ISO of exactly the same version as installed version - W10 Pro 1903 18362 (error 0x800F080 DISM failed). I have a backup image of the OS partition, but it also fails when restored, so I assume the corruption/error is in the System Reserved partition, of which I have no backup. I purchased an M.2 enclosure, tested the SSD on my desktop and imaged all partitions on the SSD - just in case. From W7 in the laptop and when plugged into my desktop externally, the SSD appears to be fully functional. Before wiping it and re-installing everything, I thought I'd post a help request here. I've uploaded log files to this dropbox folder: Dropbox - LKP Laptop Logs - Simplify your life I had to use the DM log collector, because V2 doesn't appear to work in W7.... Many thanks in advance for your advice! Tom

:)

2. BUG
    bug Win User

Ssd upgrade

What do you mean "no good"? At which step did it fail?

3. Repair Windows 7/8/10

Thanks Drone!

Now I'm running into another issue.

I cloned the HDD to Sony Evo 850 SSD using EaseUs todo (the program it came with- Sony Magician didn't work) with success but when I install the new drive it says it's not bootable.

I've searched for this issue on other forums, but many answers pertain to Windows7, or have solutions involving DVD's (I have no blank ones, plenty of USBs however.) I'm hoping I can boot from USB, from what I've read it seems like I can get the proper drivers so it will know how to start up with the new SSD. If anyone knows how to do this, I would need step by step instructions.

As a newbie to DIY computer repairs, I am feeling stumped at this point! I feel so close yet so far..

Specs for my ultrabook: Acer m5 581t
    New SSD: 250gb sony evo 850

Any hints or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks!

Loveisallyouneed, May 6, 2021
  4. ram93 Win User

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, May 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired" - Similar Threads - Laptop SSD Failed

2. start up repair failed/start up issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start up repair failed/start up issues: I've been having an issue with my pc starting up slow, it's never been a major problem until it starts to refuse to start up sometimes. My mouse and monitor wouldn't even detect a signal from my pc. I would have to wait a few minutes until it does or just turn it off and on...
  3. start up repair failed/start up issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start up repair failed/start up issues: I've been having an issue with my pc starting up slow, it's never been a major problem until it starts to refuse to start up sometimes. My mouse and monitor wouldn't even detect a signal from my pc. I would have to wait a few minutes until it does or just turn it off and on...
  4. start up repair failed/start up issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Start up repair

Start up repair: Hi, I accidentally clicked on a system registry folder when looking for a file on my surface station pc.When I restarted my computer it never showed windows, was thinking for 3 x weeks.I'm attempting the advice online regarding start-up repair and have entered the bitlock...
  6. Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop SSD Failed Start Up - "Cannot be Repaired": This Dell Precision 5510 was purchased 5 years ago and I added a Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD following Kari's excellent tutorial to put Users folder on 1TB HDD. Also was configured to dual boot when upgraded from W7 to W10 Pro 64. No problems until last week when startup failed...
  7. Start up repair

Start up repair: I left my PC alone for a while and I looked back to it and it showed a blue screen, then a black one. My PC turned on again and it took me to a repair screen. I clicked on advanced repair to restart my computer but the options weren't there. I've tried everything, I even...
  8. BSODs, Start-up Repair Failed dxgkrnl.sys

BSODs, Start-up Repair Failed dxgkrnl.sys: Hi there, Following a string of BSODs which indicated dxgkrnl.sys had failed and also mentioned windows/system32/ntoskrnl.exe although I'm not sure what it said about that, I got a screen telling me that Windows needed to be recovered so I booted from my installation media,...
  9. Laptop stuck in start up repair loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop stuck in start up repair loop: As soon as it restarts it does a "Preparing Automatic Repairs" then "Diagnosing your PC" then "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" It goes back to the start up screen, shows a bunch of numbers in the upper left part of the screen, then it repeats...
  10. start up, automatic repair, & everything else fails

in Windows 10 Support
    start up, automatic repair, & everything else fails: Hello. I'm not sure if this is the best subforum, the bsod subforum, or another, so admin can feel free to move it if this is not the best subforum. I have searched & searched this issue recently however nothing I've found as possible solutions worked, and I figured with my...