Windows 10: Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

Discus and support Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by maxn2_802, Aug 21, 2021.

1. maxn2_802 Win User

Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried changing out monitors and hdmi cables, reinstalling video drivers, etc. My laptop still detects the monitor and says it is working properly. Please help!

:)

maxn2_802, Aug 21, 2021
  2. delpi767 Win User

No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update.

I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one display is shown.

I have confirmed that the monitor works by trying it with another laptop. I have also changed the HDMI cable between the laptop and the external monitor.

Device manager reports that I have the latest display driver installed.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

delpi767, Aug 21, 2021
  3. Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Aug 21, 2021
  4. Vivian_S Win User

External monitor display settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with the display scaling on your external displays. We will certainly look into this for you.

As you are using Vizio TV, you may have to try using custom resolution settings if the in-built settings do not provide the required settings.

For better clarity, please let us know:

• What is the version of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your computer? You can click on Search and type
      winver.
    • Are you aware of any recent changes to the system, such as updates, after which you are facing this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to check the steps mentioned in the Workaround section in

Windows scaling issues for high-DPI devices

I would also suggest you to check the Display drivers. Please refer

Troubleshoot external monitor connections in Windows 10

Set up dual monitors on Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Vivian S

Vivian_S, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor - Similar Threads - Laptop stopped displaying

2. External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor Couldn't Display From My Laptop: Hi, I've a problem.I've connected my displayport from my laptop through thunderbolt adaptor but my external monitor shows that there isn't any signal.My laptop detected the monitor but the monitor doesn'tCan someone help to fix my problem?Thanks...
  3. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  4. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor: HiI have an external monitor I am trying to connect to laptop through HDMI. My laptop detects that there is a second monitor, but the monitor doesn't display anything. I've tried many different solutions: updating, roll backing, and even uninstalling my drivers. Those...
  5. Laptop screen not displaying on external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor

Laptop suddenly not displaying to external monitor: I am so besides myself. I used my laptop with my 32inch TV as I usually do sometimes to watch movies and, I set the TV to automatically search for best display after choosing the highest resolution possible. The PC notified me that the resolution was too high or something. I...
  7. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port: This has now happened to me many times even after completely re-installing windows 10 from scratch. But this time around it seems permanent. I've also tried uninstalling display drivers and monitors. Under Device Manager, monitors now I only see the Generic PnP monitor. When...
  8. Displaying Different Apps on External Monitor and Laptop Display

in Windows 10 Customization
    Displaying Different Apps on External Monitor and Laptop Display: Hello All, I am a student and am trying out taking notes using a Bamboo Ink pen and OneNote on my Surface Book 2. I want to go all-digital with my notes, and this works perfectly during lectures, but I cannot do this while trying to read an eTextbook or watch a video and...
  9. External monitor display

External monitor display: MS Office app menu bar and ribbon text is huge on my second monitor. How do I make it smaller? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-monitor-display/a7d43aa3-5e2c-4093-b089-97a901838bc7
  10. No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    No display on laptop's external monitor-Monitor recognized but blank: After the recent Windows 10 update, my wife's laptop no longer displays on the external monitor. All was well before the update. I am comfortable that Windows sees the monitor because clicking on Display Settings shows two displays. If I unplug the HDMI cable, only one...