Windows 10: Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004

Discus and support Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I got an option to update Windows 10 to version 2004 and after the update. Whenever I close the lid of my Laptop the computer completely freezes. No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Anurag_Mondal, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004

So I got an option to update Windows 10 to version 2004 and after the update. Whenever I close the lid of my Laptop the computer completely freezes. No matter what I do, the screen won't turn back on and even if I disconnect the charger, the led which indicates my laptop is charging, won't turn off. The PC just doesn't respond at all. I have to shut down the PC by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.

Can someone help me out?

:)

Anurag_Mondal, Aug 1, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

Thanks for replies. The laptop is set to 'Shutdown' (not sleep) when closing the lid and my neighbour doesn't stay on the laptop long enough for updates to complete. She only checks email and a little web browsing. I reckon she is inadvertently stopping Windows from updating so that it is constantly trying to install them again every time she switches the laptop on. This is causing the laptop to be slow / unresponsive. After I intervene and complete the updates the laptop is OK again.

I'll tell her to shut down by pressing the power button instead and look at the screen before closing the lid. This way she can delay closing the lid until the laptop powers off and then the updates will complete the install process at next switch-on.

wiganken, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Aug 1, 2020
  4. wiganken Win User

Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004

Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

To switch off a laptop we can click on 'Start / Shutdown' or press the power button. In the event we did this when Windows was in the middle of installing updates then the update process continues to complete the installation before fully switching off and we can see this happening on the screen. In this case the installation will complete next time it is switched on.

But what happens when laptop is set to switch off by closing the lid? In this scenario the screen cannot be seen so do the updates continue to install or is the process terminated so that it has to start from scratch again next time laptop is switched on?

I ask because a neighbour's laptop doesn't seem to be 'keeping-up' with updates even though they are 'pushed' by Windows 10 OS. I ask myself why aren't updates being installed and I can only think that closing the lid in the middle of the update process might be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

wiganken, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004

1. Laptop stops responding completely after I close the lid, after windows update to 2004 - Similar Threads - Laptop stops responding

2. Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is going to sleep after closing the lid: Hello, my notebook is going to sleep, after closing the lid, even that settings are set right - to not performe any action.After that, i can wake up notebook, but the system is very slow, impossible to play games etc. I have to restart notebook with lid closed, and then...
  3. Laptop turns off completely after I close the lid and I have to reset the laptop to start...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop turns off completely after I close the lid and I have to reset the laptop to start...: Whenever I close my laptop lid or put my laptop to sleep, the laptop shuts down completely and doesn't boot even upon pressing the power button. I have to constantly hold down the power button for 15 seconds, allow the laptop to reset itself, and then the laptop turns on....
  4. Laptop turns off completely after I close the lid and I have to reset the laptop to start...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop turns off completely after I close the lid and I have to reset the laptop to start...: Whenever I close my laptop lid or put my laptop to sleep, the laptop shuts down completely and doesn't boot even upon pressing the power button. I have to constantly hold down the power button for 15 seconds, allow the laptop to reset itself, and then the laptop turns on....
  5. Laptop turns off completely after I close the lid and I have to reset the laptop to start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Win10 Laptop crashes after closing lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 Laptop crashes after closing lid: Hi,I am using Windows 10 on Acer Swift SF314-43 AMD Ryzen 5, RadeonI had encountered this persistent error whenever I close my lid to sleep.It either crashes/freezes or displays BSOD.These are my recent activities before this happened:Installed Easy Driver UpdaterInstalled...
  7. Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Not Going To Sleep After Closing Lid.: My Windows 10 Laptop does not turn off and is still fully functional, everything still working and going after I close the laptop lid. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-not-going-to-sleep-after-closing-lid/57bbc0eb-9103-4c5e-953d-48f2393646c7
  8. Laptop getting locked after I close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop getting locked after I close the lid: I have no idea what's happening but my laptop is getting locked for no reason at all after I close the lid. All my settings are set to never turn off and never sleep. I have also enabled "Do nothing" to every where possible. Tried changing every power plan, still not working....
  9. Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does closing the lid stop Windows updates completing?: To switch off a laptop we can click on 'Start / Shutdown' or press the power button. In the event we did this when Windows was in the middle of installing updates then the update process continues to complete the installation before fully switching off and we can see this...
  10. After an update, when I close my laptop lid, it stays on?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    After an update, when I close my laptop lid, it stays on?: I had an update maybe a week or two ago, and since then my laptop stays on when I close the lid instead of hibernating. I've looked at all of the settings (the ones I know about at least) and everything is correct but still the laptop does not sleep when the lid is closed....