Windows 10: Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB

Discus and support Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop Asus X555UB won't boot into Windows. It shows the circle loading, then the screen goes off for a second to show me "Preparing Automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hecdavid11, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB

My laptop Asus X555UB won't boot into Windows. It shows the circle loading, then the screen goes off for a second to show me "Preparing Automatic Repair" and it's stuck in there eternally until I shut it down.

I've tried everything. No matter how many times I reset, it happens again. Removed the battery. Still same. Unplugged RAM to see if it's defective, same.

The last attempt was what drove me crazy. Tried to boot my Win10 USB stick to do some startup repair or boot rebuild and... USB stick got stuck on the loading screen too. I waited a solid 45 minutes and nothing happened. Upon restart, I go into BIOS and now it won't even recognize the USB.

I'm losing all hope with this laptop already, I don't know what else I can do...

:)

hecdavid11, Nov 10, 2020
  2. pt1947 Win User

Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Hello,

I was using my laptop yesterday (an HP Omen) and it suddenly went to a black screen with
    no visible cursor. I tried restarting it, and it was fixed until it happened again a couple of hours later. After I had restarted it again, it went into automatic repair mode. It has been stuck like this, alternating between automatic repair and a
    black screen, with the white circles rotating for a half second before freezing.

No matter what I do, I cannot progress past this screen.

I've tried the following:

• Using F11 to get into the recovery menu - doesn't work, just takes me back to automatic repair after a "please wait" message
    • Waiting - no luck, obviously
    • Removing the battery - I can't because there is a screw with a worn down head on the laptop case
    • Diagnostics - there are no hardware issues from what I can tell
    • Booting from a USB - installed windows ISO on a 16GB Lexar USB using, on two separate occasions, both the Windows Media Creation tool AND Rufus. Neither work. I've changed the boot order, I've used legacy mode, disabled secure booting, etc. No luck at all.
    When I boot from USB, it just takes me to a Preparing Automatic Repair screen, which then transitions to a screen with the Omen logo, which then repeats ad nauseum. The light on the USB does
    flash, but only for a couple of seconds.

Any help? I'm at a total loss here.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the warranty is expired and this computer is nearing 4 years old.

pt1947, Nov 10, 2020
  3. sheehy Win User
    Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair

I tried to boot into advance startup options but it didnt work. followed the instructions. it might be of note that when I turned off the machine the first and third time, the Preparing Automatic Repair text was there. After completing your given instructions, it continued to start up and say Preparing Automatic Repair. Waiting to see what happens next as of 11.55pm uk time.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, should note I dont have a disk drive in this laptop.

- - - Updated - - -

11.58pm uk time
    the preparing automatic repair text is gone and the laptop restarted quickly, the os text was in top left , now stuck on the loading wheel which is the state it was in when I tried using advance startup options a few minutes ago.

sheehy, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB

My HP laptop is stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair has been for many hours

Hello Sarah,

I'd like to verify if you're computer is still stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair state. If not, I'd suggest to perform the steps below:

1. Force shutdown your laptop, check first if your computer will boot normally. If not, after your computer restarts several times. you'll see the Windows 10 Boot Options menu.

2. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options.

3. Choose Command Prompt, copy and paste the commands below and press Enter the after each line:

• bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB

1. Laptop stuck on "Preparing Automatic Repair" and won't boot from USB - Similar Threads - Laptop stuck Preparing

2. Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: I updated from windows 11 to windows 12 and restarted it booted correctly but the second time i did i got in a "preparing automatic repair" loop that follows a bsod with a stop code "driver_pnp_watchdog" i can get to bios settings but not troubleshooting and advanced options...
  3. Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop stuck on preparing automatic repair: I updated from windows 11 to windows 12 and restarted it booted correctly but the second time i did i got in a "preparing automatic repair" loop that follows a bsod with a stop code "driver_pnp_watchdog" i can get to bios settings but not troubleshooting and advanced options...
  4. Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either: Hello,I've been stuck on the Asus preparing automatic repair. I tried installing windows 11 via a USB, but all it does is take me to a black screen with the windows blue logo followed by a white buffer circle and then 5 seconds later the screen just goes black. I can't access...
  5. Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on 'Preparing Automatic Repair', can't boot windows from USB either: Hello,I've been stuck on the Asus preparing automatic repair. I tried installing windows 11 via a USB, but all it does is take me to a black screen with the windows blue logo followed by a white buffer circle and then 5 seconds later the screen just goes black. I can't access...
  6. Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair - won't boot from usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair - won't boot from usb: Hi there,Exactly as the title says. Laptop was doing a Windows update and I hadn't realised it wasn't plugged in so it died. When I charged it back up it said preparing automatic repairs. I wondered if it was just going to take ages so I left it on overnight and it stayed on...
  7. Laptop stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop stuck in "Preparing Automatic Repair": Hi fellas, yesterday my laptop went off abruptly. Since then I have not been able to get it working up again. What happens is that whenever I turn it on, it shows the Asus logo and the circles circling around as usual, after that it goes black for a second and I get the same...
  8. Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair

Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair: Hello everyone. My computer gave me an error stating "The system detected an overrun of a stack based buffer in this application. This overrun could potentially allow a malicious user to gain control of the application." after installing the most recent windows update. It is...
  9. Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Cannot boot laptop from USB, gets stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop: Hello, I was using my laptop yesterday an HP Omen and it suddenly went to a black screen withno visible cursor. I tried restarting it, and it was fixed until it happened again a couple of hours later. After I had restarted it again, it went into automatic repair mode. It...
  10. Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop stuck on Preparing Automatic Repair: sometime yesterday I tried to boot my windows 10 laptop and it got stuck on the login screen, before I pressed anything to go to the password screen. I tried moving the mouse around to no result. I figured it was frozen so i held down the power button until the laptop turned...