Windows 10: Laptop suddenly sluggish, WinUpdate failures. 800MHz all the time.

Discus and support Laptop suddenly sluggish, WinUpdate failures. 800MHz all the time. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there. So, my Toshiba Satellite S50B, in an instant, suddenly became so very slow. Here's what happened: I removed the battery and then replaced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldquack, Oct 29, 2018.

1. oldquack Win User

Laptop suddenly sluggish, WinUpdate failures. 800MHz all the time.

Hi there.

So, my Toshiba Satellite S50B, in an instant, suddenly became so very slow.

Here's what happened: I removed the battery and then replaced it. I mean, shortly afterwards I put it into hibernate, but that wouldn't cause all of this, would it?

I tried:

"powercfg -h off" in cmd
    Registry edit for "Processor performance core parking min cores" and fiddled with that
    Played with minimum and maximum processor states
    Thinks the BIOS is configured correctly. There isn't much to configure, honestly. There is a turbo* feature which is enabled. No C1E or SpeedStep
    Played with ThrottleStop (though maybe incorrectly)
    Tried clean boot. Issue persists when everything is disabled or stopped
    Scanned for malware using Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, ADWCleaner, HitmanPro
    Had to system restore (rstrui) in safe mode because it wouldn't in normal mode. Sadly, no change
    Updated battery and network adapters

Additionally, I was experiencing Windows Update issues in the midst of all this. Lots of being stuck in the "Getting Windows Ready" screen. The dealing with the "Updates couln't be completed" screen. I followed this troubleshooter: Manual reset of windows update components. The update progress bar seems to consistently break even after this and multiple restarts.

Oh, and there was an internet router restart in there, including "ipconfig /flushdns" (but that's apparently not even related, as I'm writing this post).

So, I'm like 14 hours total (or something) into trying to resolve this for myself, with all the frozen system update screens included. There seems to be two separate issues, or maybe they're connected. It's the "throttling" that's been driving me up the wall though. (I don't know if that's the correct terminology.) The CPU doesn't "work," the fan never has to "try," programs-- heck, even windows explorer is laggy when scrolling through file folders. It's ridiculous!

The next step is to try the bootable Kaspersky Rescue USB, but I'm pretty convinced the culprit isn't from infection. The fact I had to system restore in safe mode has me most concerned, you know? Like I've never had to do that before, yet it kept failing.

Anyways, I appreciate any help you all might be able to give me. I'm no computer expert, and I try to cover all the bases before requesting help, so I've definitely missed something in this puzzle.

Thanks for reading--

It's a Toshiba S50B, i7-4510U, Intel integrated w/ R7 M260 GPU. She's an old girl, but the power button still works.

:)

oldquack, Oct 29, 2018
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Oct 29, 2018
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    PC Sluggish After Waking From Sleep

Thank you for the update.

"Could it be that their drivers are not compatible with my current Windows build?" - Yes, there's a possibility that's why you're experiencing some performance issue.

Another thing, some users have reported that the possible reason why their computers are sluggish is fast startup (enabled by default). We may try disabling the fast startup, then check if the issue will still occur. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Open Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Under Shutdown settings, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended).
    • Click Save changes.

And we also suggest checking the Processes and Performance in Task Manager if you feel your computer is sluggish.

We would appreciate an update about how it went.

Riel Alc, Oct 29, 2018
  4. malware Win User

Kingston Releases High-Performance HyperX 800MHz SO-DIMMs

HyperX memory manufacturer Kingston is expanding its high-performance laptop memory line-up with a new set of DDR2-800 SO-DIMMs accessible in 2GB and 4GB kits. The latest offerings are backed by a lifetime warranty and have suggested price tags of $88 and $138 respectively.
    • KHX6400S2LLK2/2G - 2GB 800MHz Low-Latency DDR2 (CL5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v) SO-DIMMs, kit of 2
    • KHX6400S2LLK2/4G - 4GB 800MHz Low-Latency DDR2 (CL5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v) SO-DIMMs, kit of 2

Laptop suddenly sluggish, WinUpdate failures. 800MHz all the time. HX667D2S5t_thm.jpg

Source: Kingston

malware, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop suddenly sluggish, WinUpdate failures. 800MHz all the time. - Similar Threads - Laptop suddenly sluggish

2. slow and sluggish laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow and sluggish laptop: I have Lenovo Legion 5 intel i710th gen laptop with 240hrz refresh rate and 2060 GTX graphic card 16gb ram but some how My laptop is reallyy very sluggish and slow I donot get good frames neither do I get good fps on low graphic games its really frustrating and sad help me...
  3. slow and sluggish laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slow and sluggish laptop: I have Lenovo Legion 5 intel i710th gen laptop with 240hrz refresh rate and 2060 GTX graphic card 16gb ram but some how My laptop is reallyy very sluggish and slow I donot get good frames neither do I get good fps on low graphic games its really frustrating and sad help me...
  4. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed: Hi, Here's my problem. Over the course of several months, I've noticed a drop in my internet responsiveness. I finally got around to diving into the problem. My first thought was that I picked up a virus. I ran scans with Malware Hunter, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search &...
  5. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed: Hi, Here's my problem. Over the course of several months, I've noticed a drop in my internet responsiveness. I finally got around to diving into the problem. My first thought was that I picked up a virus. I ran scans with Malware Hunter, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search &...
  6. Sudden Sluggish Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. my laptop is sluggish

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my laptop is sluggish: I wondered if there are download file that can be removed when after updating files from microsoft https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-sluggish/7c04727b-069a-4f07-a64a-0f0349985387"
  8. Windows 10 suddenly sluggish

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 suddenly sluggish: Checked cpu/gpu/hd/memory usage - normal. Changed swap size to recommended - no changes. Ran SFC and fixed everything - still as sluggish. It seems games are running just fine and all, but the general UI and everything else seems so sluggish (the general response time of...
  9. PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.

in Windows 10 Support
    PC suddenly freezing and sluggish.: My Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop PC running Windows 10 was fine when I switched it off but the next day won't work properly. It will eventually boot after about 10 mins to the desktop but if you hove over the start menu or quicklaunch menu you just get the egg timer. I usually...
  10. System Sluggish at Times

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Sluggish at Times: Hi All System Sluggish while gaming off and, and sometimes during other tasks, I custom set my pagefile, should I have not done that? Avast antivirus was in use, til it used so much memory it seemed, that I have to remove it, as was approaching 90-95 percent, Should I take...